Roxey Mouldings Shed Door Framing conundrum?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Folks, 

Currently building some sheds - 2 from Roxey Mouldings (as my first brass kits) and some wooden ScaleModelScenery ones (see pics)

Any how the question the Roxey Instructions say "Remove Door from fret and fold the framing onto the back of the door" - but which side is the back? My guess is the framing wants to be on the inside, if the door is modelled closed I'd be inclined to put the planked side outmost, on the other hand if (as shown here https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/techniques/how-to-build-your-first-etched-brass-kit/ ) model the door open I'd use the planked side to represent the inside of the door as the outside will be almost invisible... 

Thoughts please folks? Framing on the planked or plain side of the door? 

Ralf

IMG_8327.JPG.272b96e5a80c5a8f1122dddc65d73fcb.JPG

IMG_8328.JPG.eacf47bb7f764a1f5042b344eb97c03d.JPG

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Ralf said:

Hi Folks, 

Currently building some sheds - 2 from Roxey Mouldings (as my first brass kits) and some wooden ScaleModelScenery ones (see pics)

Any how the question the Roxey Instructions say "Remove Door from fret and fold the framing onto the back of the door" - but which side is the back? My guess is the framing wants to be on the inside, if the door is modelled closed I'd be inclined to put the planked side outmost, on the other hand if (as shown here https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/techniques/how-to-build-your-first-etched-brass-kit/ ) model the door open I'd use the planked side to represent the inside of the door as the outside will be almost invisible... 

Ralf

IMG_8327.JPG.272b96e5a80c5a8f1122dddc65d73fcb.JPG

IMG_8328.JPG.eacf47bb7f764a1f5042b344eb97c03d.JPG

Looking at my shed - and recalling many others -the framing is always on the inside.

Think about it - framing on the outside; lots of water hanging around, rotting the framing and planking.

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold
Just now, cctransuk said:

Looking at my shed - and recalling many others -the framing is always on the inside.

Yes, but is the inside the planked or plain side? - The side you cannot see in my picture is plain / flat / not etched...

Ralf

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Ralf said:

Yes, but is the inside the planked or plain side? - The side you cannot see in my picture is plain / flat / not etched...

Ralf

From what I can see from the photos, the intended arrangement is that the framing should fold back against the plain, inside face. (You can't have etched planking on both inside and outside faces).

If you want inside planking to show behind the framing of a half-opened door, scribe the plank lines on the plain face before you fold back the framing.

John Isherwood.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Unless the instructions specifically say otherwise, the etched fold goes to the inside of the fret. That is to say with the door and framing laid out flat, the etched fold mark is facing you.

Mike

I doubt that there is an etched folding mark; the framing appears to be half-etched, whereas the planking appears to be unetched with etched plank lines.

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1

You  have sort of already answered your own question.

Put the planks showing on whichever side of the door is visible - and the frame goes on the inside.

On a real shed, the door, when open should be held back with a latch or whatever so you just cannot see the outside side.

Oh and congratulations - You appear to have got the Ledge & Brace the correct way about - something that even many "prototype" doors get wrong!

Edited by LBRJ
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I doubt that there is an etched folding mark; the framing appears to be half-etched, whereas the planking appears to be unetched with etched plank lines.

That's right John. 

17 hours ago, LBRJ said:

congratulations - You appear to have got the Ledge & Brace the correct way about - something that even many "prototype" doors get wrong!

Thanks to the nice people at Roxey Mouldings for that! It's part of the door etch! 

Ok I shall put the framing on the inside (blank) side of the door as I'll model this door closed I think.

Thanks all
Ralf

• Like 1