The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Clapping for Carers

didcot

We always seem to forget it. Around 8 is when we're trying to get our daughter to go to sleep though (if she's not in the bath), so when we hear the road going off if one of us has enough free hands we'll lean out of the window and join in.

I certainly wouldn't think badly of anyone who doesn't though. I know what's going on in my house, but not what's happening in others.

• Friendly/supportive 3

I know some people have genuine reason to miss the 8pm event and I do know that down most streets there’s a great turnout. In my street there’s about 25 houses and only two households take part which I think is less than average. I’ve lived  here for 15 years and am still considered a newby so do know most of my neighbours  and their life work balance. I was once at my bother in laws for an earlier event and I think every household on his street came out.

That is why I’m disappointed.

regards 
Robert

A really good turn out last night, one neighbour was playing the Bagpipes as well.

It was our neighbours birthday yesterday, so my wife baked some cookies for her, looked out the Airfix Lancaster and Spitfire, then gave her, her own flypast. Cheered everyone up.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I’ve made my feelings about the clap along known further back in the thread but last night I was actually looking forward to participating as I was in a class 66 with a nice loud horn, normally at 8pm I’m around bushbury jn waiting my time so lots of houses around to join in with, anyway last night got a cracking run, passed bushbury st 19:15 then at 20:00 I was sat on the edge of basford hall yard with not a house in sight!

Thought I’d better not sit there alone blasting the horn incase someone nearby thought I was a train in distress! 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Our local teenage piper, who over the last three or so weeks has given us "Scotland the Brave" and "Highland Cathedral", gave us "Over the Rainbow" last week.  Now I have to admit that I've never heard "Over the Rainbow" played on the pipes before.

I'm not entirely sure I ever want to hear it again. (Sorry, Daniel!)

DT

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

And now this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52506114

It's counterproductive...  Probably a more fair assessment is that this is 'normal mishaps' of the sort that would happen anyway, were we 'out and about' as usual.

At the same time it's the kind of mishaps and consequent admissions that the NHS can do without just now.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

He needs a loch. In otherwise perfectly still conditions, from three miles over the water, the pipes are quite delightful.

He sounded fine from my house!

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

In honour of Capt. Tom, last Thursday I got out my bugle and joined in the applause with the  three or four notes I can distinctly sound.  After a couple of rounds of toots, I resumed clapping!

On 03/05/2020 at 12:04, Torper said:

Our local teenage piper, who over the last three or so weeks has given us "Scotland the Brave" and "Highland Cathedral", gave us "Over the Rainbow" last week.  Now I have to admit that I've never heard "Over the Rainbow" played on the pipes before.

I'm not entirely sure I ever want to hear it again. (Sorry, Daniel!)

DT

That's enough reason NOT to go outside surely? Things are bad enough without something that sounds like someone squashing a bag of cats ;)

Unless it's this guy of course . . .

Paul

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 05/05/2020 at 14:18, Sprintex said:

Unless it's this guy of course . . .

I though he was really great. But the listeners were a miserable bunch.  Is that what it's like in Fremantle?

DT

• Like 2

Been a bit of an idiot today. Went out at 8pm with my bucket and screwdriver. Absolutely disgusted, no one out there clapping so started banging my bucket. A family walked past and a girl gave me  funny look as a think she could see I was a bit agitated and she said ‘do you know it’s only Wednesday!’ Ah........

I should have told her that I was just practicing!
Good night,

Robert

Edited by Erichill16
Typo
  • Funny 10

• Administrators

A warm evening brought some more out here too.

Tomorrow night is some (bad) community singing for a different set of heroes who stepped up 75+ years ago.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

A warm evening brought some more out here too.

Tomorrow night is some (bad) community singing for a different set of heroes who stepped up 75+ years ago.

No street parties then.Wonder if we’ll hear the roar of a Merlin over the National Memorial Arboretum tomorrow ?  Nice thought. I am one who remembers his father’s homecoming in uniform with pride.I am fortunate.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Tonights effort involved banging a metal Heros tin with a wooden-handled screwdriver.

Very satisfying!

Then a discussion with the neighbours about a socially distanced street party tomorrow...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Must admit I joined in tonight, nothing to do with the fact I was stopped on a bridge over a busy main road through a housing estate in Wolverhampton with a class 66 horn at my disposal, it certainly bought a few extra people out of their houses to se what the noise was!

• Like 5
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

I’ve been on my usual bus driving shift again today. Much to my surprise, several times people people have waved and clapped as I went past, especially as it was well before 8.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, ColinK said:

been on my usual bus driving shift again today... several times people people have waved ... as I went past, especially as it was well before 8

They're called bus stops. ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 18

I tried to connect up one of my GWR loco whistle to my compressor earlier today. Unfortunately all I got a a rush of air, followed by the needle valve of the compressor disappearing into the air. Not sure where it landed.  So had to resort to hand clapping!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...