Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling injuries

• RMweb Gold

I think computer desks, 'workstations' in a domestic environment are the devil's work, a device to sell chipboard rubbish furniture.  I sit on my sofa with the Squeeze up the other end and my wireless keyboard on my lap, mouse mat on sofa arm, and use a 42" tv about 7 feet away as the monitor, as well as the tv.  Sound is via a battered but functional Cambridge Audio amp and Mission 721 speakers, and not bad.  This has to be preferable to sitting, sometimes for hours, at a workstation straining my eyes and hurting my ears with tinny stupid little computer speakers.  

Back on topic...

My layout is at a few inches above workdesk height, and my workdesk is at, um, workdesk height, actually a skip raided Ikea 'Tarendo' table that a neighbour chucked because the top was damaged (it's a lot more damaged now).  The layout sits on this amongst other bits of old furniture, and consists entirely of 'recycled' materials that were available at the time I started it in terms of boards and supports; the price was right.  I find this fine for both working and operating, from a swivel office chair, another skip raid.  Comfortable and well lit working conditions must be conducive to safety in themselves; I have a variety of anglepoise led lamps but mostly use a usb rechargeable one that I can position without worrying about the cable knocking sharp blades, soldering irons, or other lethal stuff over because of my innate clumsiness.

Another factor is that the railway, and it's workbench, are in what the Squeeze calls the bedroom but I know is a railway room that we sleep in, in other words in the heated and ventilated part of the property.  Garages, lofts, cellars, and sheds are not available to me anyway, but need to be properly heated and ventilated not only for comfort but to be safe in general.  Working in cold or excessively hot or humid conditions is not only bad for the layout, it saps your energy and concentration and increases the likelihood of an accident. 

There's a downside though; stuff gets sacrificed to the carpet monster and then sticks in my feet when I walk around with bare feet.  Answer is not to walk around barefoot of course, especially in the dark, but I like being barefoot.  I am, as anyone who knows me will confirm, not only clumsy but spectacularly untidy; my core belief is that a tidy workbench is evidence of a sick mind, but I take things a bit too far the other way!  This is fundamentally unsafe practice and I need to address it!

The 'domestic environment' and the Squeeze impose a discipline with regard to fumes, noise, sawdust, smells, and waste in general, which also promotes general safe practice.  I use acrylic paints whenever possible; i prefer them to oil based paints anyway and the brushes can be washed out in warm water, eliminating the unpleasantness and fire risk of turps substitute.

I sometimes find it amazing that a fairly safety conscious society allows untrained idiots such as myself access to power tools, even 12v ones.  These need great care in handling so that you don't attempt to use them to reshape yourself and the trailing wires need watching.  Soldering irons are IMHO particularly lethal, they'll burn you and then drop on to the floor and set everything else on fire if you don't watch the little sods.  I keep a face mask and goggles (we're all agog about googling goggles) hanging on the arm of the swivel chair, but the goggles get steamed up and can be a danger in themselves.  You can prevent this with soapy water.

Stay safe, folks; workshop safety doesn't just happen, you need to think about it a little, without letting it dominate your life.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Ah! A skip connoisseur, just like myself! many a time is coming home with another 'jewel'. Mrs Smith once commanded me to take a filing cabinet to the skips.  I returned with a full set of oxy-acetylene cutting gear. 

I thought it was a good swap, anyway.....

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

On 22/03/2020 at 00:31, The Johnster said:

I reckon accidents are more likely to happen when you are tired or stressed, and a good avoidance/prevention technique is to take frequent breaks and don't let it get on top of you.  If things are not going well, step away from the workbench and go and do something else before you hurt yourself.

One rule I have ( and it's about the only rule I have) is never model after drinking alcohol - unless it's just a snifter before dinner, but even then just a small snifter!

As regards modelling injuries, my favourite was when I was modelling in our old house in the third bedroom which had a lino floor and I was modelling barefoot and I managed to superglue my foot to the floor. My wife was out and I was literally 'stuck' indoors. Which was sort of OK until I needed a pee!

Suffice to say that there was significant pain and I believe that 5 years later you might still find residues of my skin on that floor!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Ow!  Got to admit that’s got some comedy value, though...

Good point about alcohol, though at  one time I used to work with the aid of a can of Mackeson. 

Edited by The Johnster

In response to the OP. To recover and to prevent... stand (or if you can't stand- sit up-right) with feet slightly apart and back and head as straight as possible. Breathe in and then as you slowly breathe out, slowly drop your head forward so your chin rests on your chest. If it hurts because you have strained it stop at the point that it starts to pull. Hold your head there and inhale in and then as you slowly exhale move your head back to normal.

The secret is that as you do the movement slowly exhale.

After nodding like this a few times to warm up, from the head down position and remembering to breathe out slowly as you do it, roll your head to one side so its above your shoulder. Stop, breathe in and then as you breathe out slowly roll your head back so that your chin rests on your chest, stop and repeat to the other shoulder. Do this a few times. Always finish the head roll with the chin on the chest, and from there bring your head upright. Don't move your head from over your shoulder to the upright position during this exercise if you can avoid it. Always rest between each move. If it starts to hurt or pull, stop there, breath in, and slowly breathing out move your head back to centre.

Rolling your shoulders will also help, remember to exhale as you do it!

I hope this makes sense and is helpful.

5 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

...I was modelling barefoot and I managed to superglue my foot to the floor. My wife was out and I was literally 'stuck' indoors. Which was sort of OK until I needed a pee!...

If current measures don't work, this is the government's plan B to keep us in our houses. 

• Funny 1