Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling injuries

So after only 4 days of lock-down and spending at least half a day every day this week sat at the modelling bench I’ve managed to get my first serious modelling injury.  Yes I’ve cut my finger with the knife and even drilled through my finger, that one DID HURT but only when I pulled the drill bit out of my finger.  But this one is serious and going to stop all activity at the bench.  

Due to being hunched up and looking down all day I’ve cricked my neck and all the muscles in my neck and shoulder are screaming.  I’ve tried rub on creams and prescription NSAID but with little effect.  So I can see the I’m going to have to sit this one out, but the real question is: how do I stop this happening again?  I already have an office chair that I usually set on it’s lowest setting so that I don’t lean down as much as I might.  Maybe I’ll have to get some bricks and raise the bench, assuming I lift the bricks!

The real bummer is that I’ve never had so much free time and a long list of models ready to build!! :(

Penrhos-ax

Edited by Penrhos1920
Forgot to sign
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold

The usual list of sliced fingers, solder burns, power tool injuries, but I must be learning from the experience because I haven't done anything really stupid for a while now.  Stating this will of course break the run of good luck and I expect to be carted off to A & E in an ambulance with the blues and twos sometime over the weekend, doing nothing more dangerous than making up a couple of Parkside Vans...

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

As per my status of last night, I managed to chop the skin from the top of my finger off with a scalpel, second time I've done it in the space of a week. 

Andi

• Friendly/supportive 1

My left hand and fingers have several scars acquired over the last six decades, most of them from modelling knives, plus the odd drill and occasional soldering iron burns. that's partly the price of being right-handed and nowhere near ambidextrous.

I did try writing with my left hand; it looked like a kindergarten kid's scrawls! :D

• RMweb Premium

The usual slipped knife injuries plus a fair few occasions where I have been working on the track and forgot to switch the electronic track cleaner off and got a few sudden nasty shocks...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Any tools can be dangerous if not used properly. But very few are dangerous when used correctly.

The issue, as per an earlier post, is that we make mistakes when we get tired. It's important only to do modelling tasks in fairly short sessions. And the length of those sessions needs to reduce as we get older and our attention span gets shorter.

• Agree 1

I guess I'm lucky (ish), no modelling injuries, yet.

But mainly because I'm still working at the moment!

When I do cut myself, I'm 'lucky' in that I have a genetic blood disorder,

Factor V Leiden, which is actually quite handy as I stop bleeding very

quickly.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, brossard said:

... I now have a scar that I can brag about.

There's a topic in its own right. I come nowhere close to a one time colleague who lost two fingers at the top joint in an 'incident' with his 5" gauge atlantic. But I am qualified to strongly advise against pouring whitemetal while wearing open sandals: and to add insult to injury it didn't leave a scar to brag about either.

• RMweb Premium

This looks like a reincarnation of the old clumsy club

Will this one be subscription free

Edited by rab
Wrong link
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

There's a topic in its own right. I come nowhere close to a one time colleague who lost two fingers at the top joint in an 'incident' with his 5" gauge atlantic. But I am qualified to strongly advise against pouring whitemetal while wearing open sandals: and to add insult to injury it didn't leave a scar to brag about either.

Yes, well the ER doctor was very unimpressed.  There are lots worse things.

John

Try wooden blocks to raise the bench. I've successfully used a car jack to raise the bench to then slip blocks under the legs. You don't want to strain your back lifting as well:D

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, jcm@gwr said:

quickly.

I also stop bleeding quite quickly as well. I've had a few scrapes with drills & slipped spanners. Our golden mantra was always to 'cut away' from yourself. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, jcm@gwr said:

quickly.

My wife has Factor Five, but being susceptible to blood clots as a result,  is on blood thinners, which means cuts tend to bleed rather a lot.  I had a stent put in my heart and therefore am also on blood thinners,  consequently my modeling errors result in a great deal of ORh+ all over the place.  Best avoided!

Edited by Martino
I can't punctuate!
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Getting phosphoric acid fumes in my eyes whilst soldering was rather alarming and merited a trip to the cottage hospital to have my eyes rinsed out with something  that turned everything a greeny yellow for the next couple of days.

4 minutes ago, CKPR said:

Getting phosphoric acid fumes in my eyes whilst soldering was rather alarming and merited a trip to the cottage hospital to have my eyes rinsed out with something  that turned everything a greeny yellow for the next couple of days.

HI,

Everything turned a greeny yellow - I didn't notice that or see it in the news:).

I wonder if it was because I was brought up in a remote-ish household where my mum didn't drive and I mucked around with petrol, concentrated nitric acid, soldering irons etc I never went for repairs at my GP or A&E.

Mind you when I took skin and flesh off my knee after an incident involving a bicycle, a hill, a stone roadside ornament and a toy poodle I was given a dressing to put over the wound which turned out to be for burns. Turned out that the dressing my dad brought back from work was soaked in saline and meant to be given after anaesthetic. Strangely I avoid that hill after that.-_-

I once made up an electronic power supply involving a neon indicator. I didn't know it was a 90V? neon rather than a 240V one. When I turned the mains switch on next to the neon the neon vaporised including the glass. No long term effects except I can't go near the strip in Las Vegas:).

Just before COVID19 appeared I bought a medium sized milling machine and I have a load of diecast chassis to modify.

Diecast is difficult to machine and if the parameters are wrong I can end up with heavy items being flung across the workshop at gonad height (kind of reminds me of a joke about a giraffe, a zebra and a hyena going into a cocktail bar).<_<

Take care.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

I reckon accidents are more likely to happen when you are tired or stressed, and a good avoidance/prevention technique is to take frequent breaks and don't let it get on top of you.  If things are not going well, step away from the workbench and go and do something else before you hurt yourself.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, jcm@gwr said:

quickly.

MrsB has that. Whilst it has indeed proved handy on occasion, it's also caused her some serious problems, so please be careful with it. 

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Tim V said:

Try wooden blocks to raise the bench. I've successfully used a car jack to raise the bench to then slip blocks under the legs. You don't want to strain your back lifting as well:D

Slightly OT, but is there an "ideal" height for a workbench, assuming a sitting position?

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I reckon accidents are more likely to happen when you are tired or stressed, and a good avoidance/prevention technique is to take frequent breaks and don't let it get on top of you.  If things are not going well, step away from the workbench and go and do something else before you hurt yourself.

That is very true. I learned the hard way to stop when under duress. I have enough scars  & nicks to outdo a tattoo parlour, and by my reckoning, I'm due to complete my church penance for swearing, sometime in 2094.....

However, it's a glorious day outside, so sod the Con-Virus, and enjoy the 'Sunshine Vitamin'.

Happy modelling,

Ian. 

4 hours ago, polybear said:

...is there an "ideal" height for a workbench, assuming a sitting position?

Traditionally, workbenches were (are ?) designed for standing up at and some benches used to have vertical extensions to bring work up to eye level. As almost all of us now sit down to work at our workbenches rather than standing, we're not adopting the correct posture for much of the work we're doing - I sometimes wonder whether those Scandinavian 'kneeling stools' might be more appropriate than a conventional chair or a stool .

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, polybear said:

Slightly OT, but is there an "ideal" height for a workbench, assuming a sitting position?

My computer desk is 73", while my workbench is 76". I'm not saying these are ideal though!

• Thanks 1