The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Ooops

PhilJ W

I have heard plenty of such stories from both several of my Pa's colleagues at deHavs who had returned from wartime active service, and FiL who served as a Fleet Air Arm Pilot. I think the best was of a Mosquito's worth of 60lb rockets accidentally discharged while at a dispersal point and considerably holing a distant (fortuitously unoccupied by people) hangar.

• Funny 2

Nobody at General Dynamics, or latterly Lockheed Martin, thought perhaps the ability to discharge ordinance might want to be in circuit with...ooh I dunno, landing gear up?

Fail safe obviously not in the vocabulary. (Please don't ever EVER go near railway control). That said, we now know that Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner were absolutely right in using a two seat F16 as an escape vehicle, in full knowledge it'll launch weapons whilst on the ground.

C6T.

• Funny 2

35 minutes ago, Reorte said:

I'm sure I heard a very similar story a few years back.

It was about two years ago.

From Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian_Air_Component

On 11 October 2018 a Belgian Air Force F-16 caught fire during maintenance works at Florennes Air Base. The fire, reportedly caused by the accidental firing of a cannon, completely destroyed that aircraft. A second F-16 was also damaged

The website is called War History Online.

Jason

• Like 2