The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Self isolation support group

Neil

Message added by AY Mod

Please keep this thread free of Coronavirus information or discussion, there are two other threads to go into details if one wishes to visit.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ohmisterporter said:

My car will be due for MOT shortly. Although testing for hgv and buses has been suspended for three months no such provision has been made for cars. There is a fine up to £1000 for not having a current MOT certificate.  As we are now on twelve weeks lockdown, how are we supposed to get cars MOT'd safely?

Received a link to this earlier today - may be helpful.

Whatcar

Davey

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Positive No. 5 for today was seeing the Red Arrows doing their thing over the far horizon from 36E. Cool.

Sadly that was it as I am in 'super flight mode' too but not the Airforce sort of flight. Gonna have to resort to more meds if the Doc will allow that tomorrow (phone consultation guaranteed if I phone to book at 08.00). 

My goal tomorrow is to get my yesterday evening's disintegrated tooth fixed but I have t go to a Private Clinic in Dore, just outside Sheffield as my regular dentists & no dentists locally, even private, would even look at it. I had to be in agony and swollen like a Beano character's toothache, totally broken tooth don't count but Mrs private dentist in Dore Clinic said you are hurting aren't you, yes you are so see you tomorrow. The fee is not a lot more than my normal NHS fee but I don't give a to be honest and will eat a large humble pie when it is fixed.

So fellow Webbers, I recommend you don't bust any teeth or any thing else for that matter.

Bless you all.

Phil

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I reckon as of Thursday we will all be isolated except for food shops.

Legislation going through unopposed, will be signed into law on Thursday.

Had an email from Hattons, shutting down mail orders because they expect mail dispatching to be officially shut down on Thursday

1 hour ago, DaveyH said:

Received a link to this earlier today - may be helpful.

Whatcar

Davey

A useful link but I take issue with one statement in it viz "You can get a new MOT test done any time in the 12 months before your current one expires,". Not so; a test can only be done up to one month before the due date. As far as I am aware.

Edited by Ohmisterporter
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, geoffers said:

See if your garage will collect your car or do a MOT on-site. 

Can't be done on site , must be at an official testing station.

I'm in the same situation but the garage that do mine will collect and deliver .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Had an email from Hattons, shutting down mail orders because they expect mail dispatching to be officially shut down on Thursday

I feared it might come to this so have just placed next day orders for enamel thinners and couplings, now frantically racking my brain for anything else I might need modelling-wise over the next few weeks...

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Neil said:

There are signs that communities are getting organised. Here in mid Wales I've just received notification that a scheme has been set up where volunteers offer shopping services, friendly chat or advice and practical help such as dog walking. This is a very recent development, it may well be that those in other areas where no help has yet been forthcoming will find these sort of start ups happening. Local councils or MP's should have an awareness, worth a call or an e-mail to check.

Hi everyone,

Here in 'my' part of Edinburgh quite a few groups have got a move on with this.  Great thing is that the groups are from right across the community - faith and secular, statutory and voluntary, local and central government, supermarkets too.  Local MP and MSP organised a conference call via 'zoom' to get us all talking and sharing.  It's a real encouragement to see a truly diverse range of groups coming together to support the community.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Alex TM said:

There are signs that communities are getting organised. Here in mid Wales I've just received notification that a scheme has been set up where volunteers offer shopping services, friendly chat or advice and practical help such as dog walking

My daughter was out at the weekend delivering flyers for a FB Group in her area advertising shops doing home delivery or taking orders for volunteers to deliver.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Sad that it has to come to that.

I could see myself getting a few orders off in the next week or two during self isolation.

Will have start on the pile of stuff already in stock for a rainy pandemic day:D

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

20200323_125504.jpg.5942f22b186d056395c3deae979e18d4.jpgPlease beware of another fake e-mail going the rounds:

If you receive an e-mail with the title “Ding ”, do NOT open it. It is from Jehovah’s Witnesses now working from home.

:rolleyes:

20200323_125504.jpg

Edited by Kingzance

• RMweb Gold

Positives today

• Woke up, as did Mrs SE
  • Sun shining
  • Earth still orbiting Sun and rotating so gravity still present
  • Went to M&S Wrinkly Hour, scored 9/10 on shopping list
  • Picked up veg order
  • Butcher hadn't got any chickens but phoned us to pick one up when they arrived
  • Tin Shed had in stock the three slabs I need to alter the front path
  • Cut the grass
  • Planted first batch of onion sets
  • All washing dried outside.

All-in-all not that bad a day.

Some of our young neighbours have been doing some pavement art.

20200323_125504.jpg.5942f22b186d056395c3deae979e18d4.jpg

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Mmmm, Jim Beam Tennessee Honey.  My daughter introduced me to this Xmas '19 and I'm now on my 6th bottle.  I find it strangely addictive.  Just a pity that it comes from the land of the orange-faced idiot.

Today I have been mainly carrying out the sorting/tidying of the railway room, putting 'Braynerts Sidings' into semi-storage in the garage, cleaning up the dining room following the previous activity so that Mrs 5050 can do her thing(s) and watching 'The Fast Lady' on Talking Pictures (great film IMHO).

Edited by 5050
  • Like 1

Don't know if this is the "stuff to do during the lock down" thread but here's my three for starters:

1.Go on holiday using Google Street View - it is amazing what you discover (and plenty of railways to investigate...) 

2. No sport? Dig out your old subbuteo. As we discovered today it is a hell of a game for all ages. Should take a few weeks to play out a season...

3. Learn a language online. There is so much material on the web and it will help you look forward to your next holiday when the time comes. 

Stay safe chaps. 

Edited by fezza
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ohmisterporter said:

A useful link but I take issue with one statement in it viz "You can get a new MOT test done any time in the 12 months before your current one expires,". Not so; a test can only be done up to one month before the due date. As far as I am aware.

An MOT can be done at any time, it will last 12 months from the date of the test. However, if you have your MOT done close to the expiry date (one calendar month less one day) then the MOT is deemed to have been done on the date the current on runs out, preserving the date. 

Be cautious of used car traders saying a car will have an MOT with no advisories dated for the day you buy the car, mainly traders selling cars in the sub 3K area. Happened to a colleague who bought a total lemon. ABS warning light bulb had been removed on a car with faulty module.

Yesterday ran some trains on layout. Got closer to fitting roof to cct.  Found etched chassis for J72 I started ages ago and did some work on it.  Talked to lots of people on phone and via WhatsApp.  Failed to get supermarket home delivery slot because of system crashing, but that was only downside.  The new regime is pretty well what we've been doing anyway, so no change today.

Stay safe.

• Like 1

I realised this morning whilst this new lockdown isn't affecting me:

• I have worked from home since 2014
  • I only go out to go to the shops or exercise.

Now everyone is sharing my sad life.

This reminds of that line in The Incredibles:  "when everyone is a super, then no-one will be"

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2