The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Self isolation support group

Neil

Message added by AY Mod

Please keep this thread free of Coronavirus information or discussion, there are two other threads to go into details if one wishes to visit.

11 hours ago, jonny777 said:

You may say good riddance, but Youtube wasted no time in having that video taken down. 

So much for the right of free speech. :scare:

Surely within any commercial organisation your freedom of speech only extends as far as the editorial restrictions the organisation wants to impose.

I'm sure there are plenty of things you could write on this site that the mods would rightly take issue with even if you might think you have a right to say them under 'freedom of speech'.

• Agree 11

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Milk and More used to be owned by Dairy Crest, but I think Dairy Crest was bought by Muller some years back. 

I'm not sure of the ownership of Muller. 

Muller is a multinational conglomerate based in Fischach in Bavaria.

Arla Foods is a multinational co-operative based in Denmark

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Dave 46 said:

The leader of the opposition is in France, and her return ferry on Thursday night has been cancelled.  She has just sent me a text saying more sailings are cancelled, so I don't know at this stage when I will see her again.  I can't seem to get through on the phone at the moment either.

I want her back.

Dave

Some good news at least.  I've just spoken to her and she is booked on the tonight's ferry from Caen, so she will be back a day early

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

I wish I could get past that hurdle and they are only going to be BR SR Green FFS!

Most coaches are OK for me, Maroon or Blood & Custard, but I do hate lining especially if they are panelled.

My real bugbear at the moment is a Class 122 DTS. Done several samples on bit left over from the cut'n'shut but can't get the green to look right. 

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rab said:

Never mind the bread, he's off to his local model shop

I hear that plastic is supposed to be the worst surface for retailing the live virus.

Off to join up some bits of brass shortly. The mixture of that combined with tin, lead and flux then scoured off and a wipe over with distilled alcohol should get rid of it. I'm OK just as long as the H&S Police don;t find my stash of now-illegal substances.

Strange world where it is often easier to get Class A mind bending extracts and body wrecking compounds than what in my childhood were considered normal household items.

Sniff of Carbon Tet anyone? Recently did a 1960s kit which recommended it as a solvent for joining the bits.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, sharris said:

Surely within any commercial organisation your freedom of speech only extends as far as the editorial restrictions the organisation wants to impose.

I'm sure there are plenty of things you could write on this site that the mods would rightly take issue with even if you might think you have a right to say them under 'freedom of speech'.

On World Service during the early morning today I was listening to someone 'visiting' the US and seeing the '1st Amendment' (to the Constitution). There followed an interesting discussion about the 'restrictions in place, imposed by the Supreme Court. WE, of course do bot have a similar article in law other than the introduction of  restrictions on Hate Speech. 

End of slightly political chat I think fellow Isolators? ( I am one of the most naughty when it comes to that sort of thing under even normal circumstances:diablo_mini::rofl:

P

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Most coaches are OK for me, Maroon or Blood & Custard, but I do hate lining especially if they are panelled.

My real bugbear at the moment is a Class 122 DTS. Done several samples on bit left over from the cut'n'shut but can't get the green to look right. 

When I did a bit of coach work for someone on here I was fortunate in that they were Maroon Gresleys. Quick whoosh (technical term) with the Ford Burgundy Red I think it is.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Baby Deltic said:

Saw this on Faceache:

No sh1t,  as yoofs would say I am told. Really is a First World problem this bog paper lark. Really, really sad (unless, of course, you really have a med problem). The Morrisons of this world should use a Claxon for when some kn0b arrives at the checkpit with more than they need. Checkout person could have one of those big spongy hand/glove things, press the Claxon button and stand, pointing the glove at the guilty ####!

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Baby Deltic said:

Saw this on Faceache:

Lucky you

I can't see anything.

EDIT managed to see after editing the link.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

No sh1t,  as yoofs would say I am told. Really is a First World problem this bog paper lark. Really, really sad (unless, of course, you really have a med problem). The Morrisons of this world should use a Claxon for when some kn0b arrives at the checkpit with more than they need. Checkout person could have one of those big spongy hand/glove things, press the Claxon button and stand, pointing the glove at the guilty ####!

Our family learnt to do with all this hoarding sh1t (rice/sugar/ tins of milk and fish/bog paper/petrol)  living in Africa for 12 years while the kids were growing up. The worst shortages and hygiene probs were due to coups and fairly localised wars in West Africa.

We learn,t like the majority of the population, to do without bog roll. We ll still can't think of finishing a sh1te  without thoroughly washing yer bum.:o

dh

• Like 2

Hi folks,

I have just found this thread, and really appreciate the mixture of sensible suggestions and light hearted relief.

Being definitely 70+ and with an auto-immune issue which nobody says whether it is relevant or not, I was thinking of self-isolating.  With senior-management being under 70 I was thinking of times when she was out shopping etc.  However older daughter 'suggested' that we both need to self-isolate so we can be well to look after 93 year old mother-in-law, and daughters will supply us if necessary.  

So isolated at home in Lancashire because the layout is there rather than in a caravan in the Dales (limited workshop facilities), I offer an interesting anecdote on current shopping.  In a Yorkshire supermarket the other day, the 'Yorkshire Tea' was sold out whilst 3 yards away a whole pile of 'PG tips' was available, and was on offer!

My last act before isolating was to visit my local wood merchant and get materials for the next base-board, but an earlier post showed 'it' surviving on wood for 4 days.   Do I have to walk past the pile of tempting wood for another 3 days?

Will there be a layout boom, like the post-war baby-boom?

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

Glad to be part of the self isolated brigade. With a compromised immune system, I feel amongst friends....:drink_mini:

I've seen the make your own sanitiser video a few times, but could not buy IPA anywhere.

I have now found some and thought as self isolators, you should get a head start before the word gets out. I ordered a couple a short while ago and at the time they had 90 in stock. It's now dropped to 60, so will probably be gone shortly.

Please don't bulk buy as it could be a life safer for some of us....

https://www.rapidonline.com/servisol-6200005000-ipa-170-isopropyl-alcohol-1-litre-tin-non-aerosol-87-1082

The other ingredients are available from Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Care-Hydrogen-Peroxide-Solution-bottles/dp/B01HK5JCHE

Keep happy....

Disclaimer: I make no claim whatsoever as to the efficiency or safety of this mix.....so if you burn a hole in your nice new worktop or your hand falls off, nothing to do with me....:D

Edited by gordon s
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Seems to me that Govt messages are not getting through - even to the medical profession. Or have I misunderstood?

I am self-isolating for 12 weeks as being in the "vulnerable" group who get free flu jab each winter. That is because I am a diabetic but also I had pleurisy last year and my lungs are still not 100%.

But I learned this morning that two members of my family who are diabetics have been told to carry on as normal with the minimal "social separation" precautions. One of them is far more ill with diabetes than I am. So what is the right course of action?

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, runs as required said:

Our family learnt to do with all this hoarding sh1t (rice/sugar/ tins of milk and fish/bog paper/petrol)  living in Africa for 12 years while the kids were growing up. The worst shortages and hygiene probs were due to coups and fairly localised wars in West Africa.

We learn,t like the majority of the population, to do without bog roll. We ll still can't think of finishing a sh1te  without thoroughly washing yer bum.:o

dh

Let's start panic buying of bidets from Victorian Plumbing.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Seems to me that Govt messages are not getting through - even to the medical profession. Or have I misunderstood?

I am self-isolating for 12 weeks as being in the "vulnerable" group who get free flu jab each winter. That is because I am a diabetic but also I had pleurisy last year and my lungs are still not 100%.

But I learned this morning that two members of my family who are diabetics have been told to carry on as normal with the minimal "social separation" precautions. One of them is far more ill with diabetes than I am. So what is the right course of action?

Who exactly told them to carry on as normal?

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Personally - I would make my own risk assessment depending on that and,  ( taking account of any other soul's feelings about you) c hoose the 12 week  path ahead that fits you best.

;)

dh

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, runs as required said:

dh

First world problem is the bog fiasco. Who needs bog roll? Copy these.....https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=utube+of+dogs+wiping+arse+on+carpet&view=detail&mid=3F37D3DDCC806B750B273F37D3DDCC806B750B27&FORM=VIRE

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I am no medic Joseph but even my little brain tells me to be more than cautious and maybe do what seems sensible and just keep away from as many places as you can. Plenty of advice on here already really. All the best mate.

Phil

• Like 2
  • Agree 1