The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

Letter post was still out at 1600 today, we received a couple of cards around then. 

Not unusual around here even without the current problems.

We had a very late one on one day recently. I had locked up about 1800 but later I could see something poking through the letter box, which turned out to be a couple of cards.

Thankfully I never started or stopped at 0200.  That was always break time for me, which was fine - although it did take me a while to get used to sitting down opposite a bloke tucking into the stone cold fish and chips which he'd bought on the way in four hours earlier.   At least he varied it sometimes though and had stone cold pie and chips instead.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Don't get me started on expiry dates.

My son, who is a gardener, got stung by a wasp.

He was having a bad reaction.

I could not find our Piriton.

Neighbour, would not let us give him their Piriton as it was out of date.

Another neighbour gave us theirs and it allowed him to calm down and breathe. (Theirs was out of date, but it still worked).

The Ambulance crew then sorted him out.

He has now got EpiPen's.

• Friendly/supportive 8

15 hours ago, burgundy said:

Worth having a look at the expiry date on medications. We seem to have had packages with a shorter expiry date than some previous prescriptions. Has someone been clearing out the store cupboards?

Best wishes 

Eric 

We found some time ago, that some prescription medicines were being dispensed more-or-less straight from the delivery and stocks in store were virtually nil. Given the continuing restrictions on air travel (many prescription pharmaceuticals are imported from India) I can’t imagine that this has improved, and that existing stocks are still being used to maintain supplies from week to week 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Oh Dear

Panic buying has started again.

My order with Asda which should be about £120 has dropped to £76 because 30% of the items (and any possible subs) are out of stock

On the first page of bread only 3 items out of 12 were in stock and they were white rolls!

Hardly any soup, short of salad stuff etc.

Just have to hope it's better when I come to finalise it tomorrow.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Mrs Stationmaster is planning an expedition to Tesco tomorrow.  i'm not sure if she has thought through the implications but needs must because cat food stocks are declining although the reserve stock of toilet rolls still stands at just over 100 (all of which were bought at reduced prices over several past months).

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, melmerby said:

Oh Dear

Panic buying has started again.

My order with Asda which should be about £120 has dropped to £76 because 30% of the items (and any possible subs) are out of stock

On the first page of bread only 3 items out of 12 were in stock and they were white rolls!

Hardly any soup, short of salad stuff etc.

Just have to hope it's better when I come to finalise it tomorrow.

That’s worrying, our order is due tomorrow and I dread checking the order list this evening now......same old, same old would be a nightmare again.

• Friendly/supportive 1

FWIW the Tesco order delivered here this morning was as usual complete, and despite the BBC's scaremongering I had no problem getting onto their site at around 0830 to amend our orders for the 16th and the 31st.

• Like 1

Again, FWIW, Mrs JJGraphics went to Tesco in Wokingham just after 09:00 this morning and not only was the car park unusually empty, the store was, too. The store had the usual people with the big trolleys picking orders for delivery and Click & Collect, but ordinary customers were noticeably few and far between. No empty shelves, no queues for the checkouts and most of the checkout operators were waiting for their next customer to arrive.

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

That’s worrying, our order is due tomorrow and I dread checking the order list this evening now......same old, same old would be a nightmare again.

Quite a few things were back in stock but still some missing items.

I'll find out what when I finalise it at 9:30pm

• RMweb Premium

When I came to finalise at around 9:30 there was a waiting list to get oin the site.

I haven't had that before, even during Lockdown #1.

Then I found a shortage of apples, cakes with cherries in(?) but not strawberry jam ones, some kinds of rice and as usual, veggie/vegan stuff.

• Friendly/supportive 2

Noticeably depleted stocks of fresh meat and fish in our local Sainsbury's this morning.  However, I suspect this was merely due to one of Sainsbury's periodic stock control snafus since nothing else seemed to be in short supply e.g. plenty of loo roll (so long as you weren't fussy about the brand/pack size) and when I stopped in Morrisons on my way home to pick up certain things that Sainsbury's don't do there was plenty of fresh meat & fish there, which would seem to support the view that it was just Sainsbury's being Sainsbury's.  Oh, and Sainsbury's only had raw king prawns - but lots of them - in the frozen shellfish section when usually they have half a dozen different types.  Again Morrisons had all of their usual, slightly more limited range available.

Oddly there were no 2 pint cartons of milk in either store (though plenty of 1 pint and 4 pint, so it wasn't milk itself that was in short supply, just 2 pint cartons).

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

My lad had the job of ordering the bread at the butchers he’s an apprentice at on Monday and accidentally ordered about 25 too many loaves from the local bakery, he was worried at the end of the day the boss would be cross with him for having so many left but by chance the other grocery shop in the village (co-op) ran out of bread and he ended up selling the excess in a couple of hours and at closing time was left with one loaf which he bought home for us! 

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Local Aldi this morning, no queues, no empty shelves.  Trundled around and got everything on my list.  Everyone wore facemasks and kept well apart.  Plenty of hand sanitiser and cart handle spray too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, big jim said:

My lad had the job of ordering the bread at the butchers he’s an apprentice at on Monday and accidentally ordered about 25 too many loaves from the local bakery, he was worried at the end of the day the boss would be cross with him for having so many left but by chance the other grocery shop in the village (co-op) ran out of bread and he ended up selling the excess in a couple of hours and at closing time was left with one loaf which he bought home for us! 

Sounds like a bit of forward planning.

He should do well.

:)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Received receipt for Asda order

2 OOS - some German Lager and Frozen Broad Beans and only one of two ready meals ordered available.

Subs for Cornflakes, Shredded wheat, bananas, apples, onions

• RMweb Gold
On 04/01/2021 at 23:30, chris p bacon said:

How did you train the cats to use loo roll ? :D

I don't think you'd enjoy the explanation if I did tell you.

But the Tesco shop did have one interesting result - 16 roll packs of toilet paper had been reduced by 27%, so a couple were purchased.   Fresh veg was in short supply but no trouble with anything else and as she went down in the middle of the day there were no queues either.

• Like 1