The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

5 minutes ago, Nick C said:

I don't get the current obsession with anti-bacterial soaps and cleansers. The clue's in the name...

Sadly, yes. When it comes to "bacteria" and "viruses", most people know the words are different, but they could not accurately describe the difference between bacteria and viruses. Or how they should effectively be treated.

• RMweb Premium
On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 22:31, JohnDMJ said:

Completely mind blowing!

I recall that my weekly university magazine often published recipes for instant coffee and beans on toast! And that was back in the 70s

I recall one of the Kardashian lot saying she didn't know how to make toast...

On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 22:35, eastglosmog said:

Didn't Delia Smith (or one of those cookery writers) include how to boil an egg in one of her books?

My local Co-op sells ready cooked boiled eggs, four in a box in the cold fridge.  At a tidy premium above the price of half a dozen eggs....

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, polybear said:

My local Co-op sells ready cooked boiled eggs, four in a box in the cold fridge.  At a tidy premium above the price of half a dozen eggs....

"But it's so much more convenient!" "It saves time that I could use to do things I enjoy doing" etc. etc. :rolleyes_mini:

36 minutes ago, polybear said:

I recall one of the Kardashian lot saying she didn't know how to make toast...

The only astonishing thing is you were watching it !!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

56 minutes ago, Nick C said:

I don't get the current obsession with anti-bacterial soaps and cleansers. The clue's in the name...

You can tell people are getting worried, once Tesco was stripped bare, they moved over the road and hit Aldi too, no loo rolls, no anti-bac handwash...

I can understand the fixation on handwash, the government keeps telling everyone to use it whilst chanting a birthday song twice!

50 minutes ago, hayfield said:

I think we are now going into a period where people will need to have enough food in to cover 7 days self isolation. Thankfully we have a daughter and 2 grown up grand daughters where between us we can look after each other shopping wise by leaving food at the front doors. 

My sister who lives too far away for me to help other than in emergencies relies on online food shopping, she now is having to book slots a week in advance. this group may have the biggest problems, thankfully she has some very good friends close who can help if needed

I buy 90% of my groceries online, and have done so for about 5 years. 

Booking a delivery one week ahead isn't a problem; in fact I do that all the time. If I don't know exactly what I might need in 7 days time I just add something expensive (a bottle of single malt will work a treat for those purposes) in order to bring the total over the minimum spend so that I can check out, and then add/delete items as the delivery date gets closer. 

I would love to 'forget' to cancel the scotch on a few deliveries, but as swmbo helps me to unpack the bags - a stunt like that would result in a court martial of the most serious proportions. 

Currently, there are a few things out of stock but I have not found that to be inconvenient so far. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Stockpiling? No, this is normal life for some Swindonian folk on pay day...

tragically, it’s normal fare for a significant proportion of the population across Britain, not just in Swindon, because it’s ‘cheaper and easier’ (neither may actually be true) than ‘proper food’, and the processed food industry does very well out of it.

Fibd a way of breaking that vicious circle, and you’ll do a lot of people a huge favour.

• Agree 4

4 hours ago, Reorte said:

A disturbing trend IMO, driving work into peoples' homes, thus increasing isolation and decreasing work-life separation. It's handy for emergencies and works well for some people but I'd hate for it to be the norm and believe large-scale home working will have unpleasant consequences for society.

Quite so.

Someone I know well formerly worked from home, and apart from some conference calls the only contact with other staff members was via e-mail. No social benefits at all, and from what I saw did not make for a happy worker.

cheers

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Booking a delivery one week ahead isn't a problem

This may vary by region and supplier.

We normally use Ocado who do not operate in all parts of the UK.  Currently there is evidence of higher-than-normal booking with slots not always available next day as they typically are.  But skip a couple of days ahead and there seems to be no shortage of delivery slots available.  And, currently, no more than the typical number of items out of stock and almost always with a close alternative available.  

Sometimes we have used Tesco and Sainsburys but found both were harder to deal with both because of non-availability of delivery slots and the inconvenient number of out-of-stock and substituted items.  

Quite what happens if movement restrictions are put in place no-one has yet been able to tell us.  Even the Italians are able to go shopping (within limits) and someone must be able to deliver the goods to their shops in the first place.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, thirty2a said:

working from home is frowned upon in the bus industry, parking can be a problem as well.

And in my industry which also involves conveying large numbers of people in public wheeled conveyances.  We find driving trains from home only works well in gauges smaller than 1:1 ;)

• Funny 5

6 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

This may vary by region and supplier.

We normally use Ocado who do not operate in all parts of the UK.  Currently there is evidence of higher-than-normal booking with slots not always available next day as they typically are.  But skip a couple of days ahead and there seems to be no shortage of delivery slots available.  And, currently, no more than the typical number of items out of stock and almost always with a close alternative available.  

Sometimes we have used Tesco and Sainsburys but found both were harder to deal with both because of non-availability of delivery slots and the inconvenient number of out-of-stock and substituted items.  

Quite what happens if movement restrictions are put in place no-one has yet been able to tell us.  Even the Italians are able to go shopping (within limits) and someone must be able to deliver the goods to their shops in the first place.  

Yes, I tend to use Ocado. I find them very reliable and the number of substitutions/missing items has fallen significantly over the last 18 months or so. 

I have tried others, but was not too impressed. I used Asda once, but the delivery man refused to deliver my shopping as he said my address did not exist; and he took it back to the store.  I told him that my address *did* exist because I was there, but he had finished his shift. I had to wait for someone with a little more intelligence to bring my shopping. No more Asda deliveries for me. 

12 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

We find driving trains from home only works well in gauges smaller than 1:1 ;)

There are a number of railways, well metros, using unattended train operation, that could achieve it, in that computers do all the routine tasks, and the supervision that is done from a control centre could , theoretically, be done from home.  More worryingly, the tech exists to allow warfare to be waged on the same basis.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

There are a number of railways, well metros, using unattended train operation, that could achieve it, in that computers do all the routine tasks, and the supervision that is done from a control centre could , theoretically, be done from home.  More worryingly, the tech exists to allow warfare to be waged on the same basis.

Wall-E is the most plausible prediction of the future I know of.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Nearholmer said:

1.  Agreed, although even the DLR has a staff member aboard able to drive in emergency and to provide revenue protection and customer service at all other times.  The good folk of London - or at least those who have expressed an opinion - have let it be known that they are not willing to contemplate driverless tube trains which I believe has caused a rethink on the forthcoming new tube stock such that it will incorporate a "driver's cab" even if the driver doesn't drive.  

2.  That has been a significant worry for quite some time among those who worry about such things.  I am very much a "keep calm and carry on" person.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I just went to the shops for toilet roll, dried milk and bread mix 

I came home with jaffa cakes, double choc muffins and a trout.

No idea of the status of the others as completely forgot to look!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Funny 6

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

And in my industry which also involves conveying large numbers of people in public wheeled conveyances.  We find driving trains from home only works well in gauges smaller than 1:1 ;)

Well said.

I imagine it's a bit inconvenient if a driver decides to self-isolate and then dies at home without telling anyone in advance.  :telephone: :bad:

But less inconvenient than if a driver doesn't self-isolate and then dies at the wheel. :diablo_mini: :bomb_mini:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers."

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, KeithMacdonald said:

But less inconvenient than if a driver doesn't self-isolate and then dies at the wheel. :diablo_mini: :bomb_mini:

That has happened. Back in 2016 a C2C driver had a heart attack, and rather heroically managed to bring the train to a stand at Barking station.