The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Jonboy said:

There is a plentiful supply round here in the usual supermarkets, but all seems very short on best before dates making it difficult to only shop once a week. I do push beyond the dates but you either end up with sweaty pre-chopped leaves (spring greens, spinach, lettuce etc)which is a no-go, or buying fresh in far bigger portions that required...either way throwing too much out for my liking...

I think it depends on the supermarket - I was in Tesco today, for the fresh veg I was buying the dates were "acceptable", but then I'm hoping to get back to twice a week shopping. I bought in Waitrose the week before last (the only place to get early blood oranges, although I went to Sainsburys afterwards and they had some too). What I didn't realise was that the kalettes I'd bought were reduced for quick sale. Finally got round to them Thursday - I'm hoping that was what made me unwell on Friday :)

But generally stocks of *everything* are a bit variable - I was hoping to get small cans of tomatoes today, but only full-size 400gm were available, and since I live on my own with a tiny fridge that makes some things where I'd normally use a small tin (to keep the amount of carbohydrate in check) need other changes to the meal. However, compared to the current situation in Texas it's a problem worth having.

I ventured into Tesco the other day, something I never had much enthusiasm for and have mostly now discontinued. Supply chains still seem disrupted with available stocks generally sufficient providing you aren’t fussy about packing sizes or use-by dates. 

I do notice increasing attempts to substitute significantly more expensive items in the on-line shop, at the higher price, which my good wife mostly declines. 

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

I do notice increasing attempts to substitute significantly more expensive items in the on-line shop, at the higher price, which my good wife mostly declines. 

We use Sainsbury's and if they substitute a higher-price item we get a voucher for the difference. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, RFS said:

We use Sainsbury's and if they substitute a higher-price item we get a voucher for the difference. 

Asda normally send the more expensive item at the cost of the original. Although that was happening frequently a while back, lately we seem to be getting more cheaper subs which are charged at the lower cost.

Maybe they would more willingly sell you a £1 item instead of a £2 item, rather than a give a £3 item for £2?

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi all

How do you book a slot with Ocado?

I have an account but haven't used it yet and there's some stuff I wanted.

It says "Book a Delivery"

It only shows the next three days and there aren't any slots.

Is that normal?

I wouldn't mind waiting for a slot two or three weeks away.

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Hi all

How do you book a slot with Ocado?

I have an account but haven't used it yet and there's some stuff I wanted.

It says "Book a Delivery"

It only shows the next three days and there aren't any slots.

Is that normal?

I wouldn't mind waiting for a slot two or three weeks away.

If it’s anything like Waitrose we have only been able to book one slot since last March........with much the same booking page it appears, and we have been on their “vulnerable” list since then also!  Go figure, all I can say is thank you ASDA, not let us down in one single failed order slot as yet.

I tried to go online at the beginning of the first lockdown 12 months ago, couldn't get a slot so I kept on shopping, to be honest, it's preferable still to go to the shops.

I've pretty much shopped for my Mother in Law during all this period as well - two shopping trolleys each shop!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

If it’s anything like Waitrose we have only been able to book one slot since last March........with much the same booking page it appears, and we have been on their “vulnerable” list since then also!  Go figure, all I can say is thank you ASDA, not let us down in one single failed order slot as yet.

I have a delivery slot with Asda so it is always booked ahead, all I have to do is add the shopping.

I've just reserved it for another 12 months as we have decided to carry on and have the regular non perishables delivered and just shop for perishables, where personally choosing them is IMHO better.

A problem with Asda, especially more recently is things that were once regularly purchased are becoming "unavailable", then disappearing completely from the website.

These are mostly but not entirely own brand items.

So, I thought I would try and get some Mark's stuff to replace them but.........:no:

Edited by melmerby
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Just logged on to Waitrose and there are slots available this Saturday, on two days next week and in to the following week. No doubt it depends on where you live - I'm in South Derbyshire. Have you thought about a click-and-collect slot?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, RFS said:

Just logged on to Waitrose and there are slots available this Saturday, on two days next week and in to the following week. No doubt it depends on where you live - I'm in South Derbyshire. Have you thought about a click-and-collect slot?

We were told (or Mrs BB & Mum was) not to use C&C if possible as her condition puts her in the “if you get it you’ll never catch anything again” group.......so we have been slightly more careful.

ASDA have been very good, well the drivers have, really helpful and yes we have pre-booked slots on a long term basis on their vulnerable listing, and yes we have found the same with some of their products more recently, but a delivery I complained about when they delivered once too often a bottle of whisky and a bottle of gin with the security seals still intact I got a full refund on the stuff......happy bunny that week, it wasn’t the cheap stuff either.

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, RFS said:

Just logged on to Waitrose and there are slots available this Saturday, on two days next week and in to the following week. No doubt it depends on where you live - I'm in South Derbyshire. 

Just tried Waitrose and got a slot for three weeks time (the last week available) one of only about 6 slots that week everything other slot fully booked, so worth a loom for the “special” items ASDA just don’t do for us.

:good:

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Just tried Waitrose and got a slot for three weeks time (the last week available) one of only about 6 slots that week everything other slot fully booked, so worth a loom for the “special” items ASDA just don’t do for us.

:good:

We have relinquished our ASDA slot and reverted to shopping in person.

We were getting increasing occurences of 'NOT AVAILABLES' when placing online orders, only to find plenty of the items in question on the shelves when shopping in person. Also, we did not always need the minimum spend of £40.00.

Now we've been jabbed, we feel confident enough to make a weekly visit to the store; (social distancing and mask-wearing, etc. of course).

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I've pretty much been in supermarkets everyday for odds and ends(and an awful lot of Ebay C&C for the railway), my local full sized Sainsbury's rarely  has a queue and my wife has used Tesco C&C last year (very good) and home delivery from Sainsbury or Waitrose. Booking slots seems to be a bit of a lottery but she now goes about twice a month. Personally I'm currently panic buying 9f's . Tuna in olive oil is in short supply and I get through about 6 tins a week.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, w124bob said:

...snip...  Personally I'm currently panic buying 9f's . Tuna in olive oil is in short supply and I get through about 6 tins a week.

The weird Crosty(?) 9fs?? :biggrin_mini: Hey, I like the Crosty(?) 9f but I could never afford an O scale one; even if one were made. :(

Tuna in oil is my favorite but since the healthy food kick started, it is hard to find; not in short supply but just far fewer cans on the shelf, replaced by tuna in wateranimated-thumb-image-0009.gif .

Edited by J. S. Bach

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Johann Marsbar said:

Found an e-mail this morning from Sainsburys apologising for the problems caused by the "National shortage of cat/dog food pouches" which explains why the shelves have been fairly empty of cat ones at the local branch both last week and yesterday.

There was an article on the BBC news yesterday about this issue - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56328860

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, RFS said:

There was an article on the BBC news yesterday about this issue - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56328860

I just hope that all of those that acquired a new pet during "lockdown" realize that the cat/dog is for the long-term life of the pet and not just until all restrictions are lifted!!

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I just hope that all of those that acquired a new pet during "lockdown" realize that the cat/dog is for the long-term life of the pet and not just until all restrictions are lifted!!

Beats me how anyone could get a pet and view it like that, if you've not able to get the connection to a pet that would make the idea of giving it up heartbreaking then you shouldn't have one in the first place (and why would you want one anyway if that wasn't the case?) Sadly it won't work out in a few cases, but they really should be rare exceptions.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Beats me how anyone could get a pet and view it like that, if you've not able to get the connection to a pet that would make the idea of giving it up heartbreaking then you shouldn't have one in the first place (and why would you want one anyway if that wasn't the case?) Sadly it won't work out in a few cases, but they really should be rare exceptions.

Sadly you just need to look at the numbers of pets given up just after Christmas every year to see that some people really are that heartless...

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Reorte said:

Unfortunately some view them as a fashion accessory to acquire and dispose of at will.

Certain dogs are fashionable for a while and when they are no longer the latest thing, they go for re-homing.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Reorte said:

Nothing some people are doing or have done during this episode surprises me anymore, it has brought out some very odd actions and behaviour.

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Agree 4

5 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Dammit.  

I just got the cat to use as emergency food when the pasta ran out.

Come on! He'd have done the same to me...

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
On 10/03/2021 at 19:20, monkeysarefun said:

Dammit.  

I just got the cat to use as emergency food when the pasta ran out.

Come on! He'd have done the same to me...

Al(leycat) dente?:yes:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1