The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Premium

Something I have noticed recently that rather strangely when food is seemingly in short supply, the use by dates get shorter!

I would expect the opposite.

e.g.

Food not selling, sits on shelves for days as the use by date approaches.

Food flying off the shelf, goes out virtually as soon as received from the suppier with long use by date.

Am I missing something here (apart from items:D)?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A while ago now, the UHT skimmed milk in Lidl had a best before date that was longer (later date) than the same milk bought on a later trip from the same store. (Earlier date than on the first batch bought...)

Possibly the stock rotation got fouled up?

Shelved in the wrong order...

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Clarification....

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

My Asda deliveries are getting worse again.

Last time 2 weeks ago I had 10 no shows and several (not very good) substitutions.

This week, checking for tomorrow's delivery and 12 items are already showing out of stock, many are the same ones that were missing last time, even though they have supposedly been in stock since.

I aslo find the website is getting very flaky, in the last few weeks I get drop outs (not the PC as it is the same on another PC and just plain wrong entries such as this:

warsteiner.JPG.15528130d9668dc78165ceb25ab6071f.JPG

Seems to be getting confused, It's supposed to be German lager!

If you go back a little later it will be OK, so somethings not clearing down properly.

Edited by melmerby
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Toilet paper is reduced in price once again - so an occasional purchase will be made at the lower price as long as the reduction continues.  Locally most stuff seems to be reasonably available at present but careful timing of visits to Waitrose is necessary to avoid disappointment as the fresh veg seems to vanish quickly.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

What a difference a day makes

Asda order out for delivery and the 12 or so out of stocks that were on the order yesterday have changed to to 2 OOS and one sub.:good:

Must have had a large delivery of missing items in time for the picker.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, melmerby said:

What a difference a day makes

Asda order out for delivery and the 12 or so out of stocks that were on the order yesterday have changed to to 2 OOS and one sub.:good:

Must have had a large delivery of missing items in time for the picker.

Ours came today and only two items OOS........my bloomin’ Whisky and Gin......now come on, they were only run of the mill brands (the gin was ASDA actually, but of everything on our list which could have been substituted by something close, they were it.  :angry:

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Ours came today and only two items OOS........my bloomin’ Whisky and Gin......now come on, they were only run of the mill brands (the gin was ASDA actually, but of everything on our list which could have been substituted by something close, they were it.  :angry:

Well they arrived but we are missing one order of 6 tins which was shown as being delivered, everything else OK, including a couple of items I've been trying to get since last summer.

EDIT

My mistake, after checking, those tins weren't ordered, the 6 that were arrived, so Sorry Asda.

Edited by melmerby
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 16/02/2021 at 10:36, The Stationmaster said:

Toilet paper is reduced in price once again ...

For some reason that reminded me of my treasured roll of Izal, which alas hasn't been seen since the last house move.  It was the special stuff issued to Government bunkers: not only did it have "Goverment Property" printed on every sheet, but also the instruction "USE BOTH SIDES". 

ETA - ref the recurrent tales of woe about supermarket deliveries, I beg to report that Messrs Tesco continue to impress here.  Eleven months of fortnightly deliveries, and we are honestly unable to remember when they last delivered an order with either a shortage or a substitute.

Edited by spikey
more words added
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Well they arrived but we are missing one order of 6 tins which was shown as being delivered, everything else OK, including a couple of items I've been trying to get since last summer.

EDIT

My mistake, after checking, those tins weren't ordered, the 6 that were arrived, so Sorry Asda.

Just found out....no carrots again, same as last week......I like my carrots! :ireful:

Its only the past few weeks we have been having issues, I hope it’s just a local isolated problem.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, spikey said:

For some reason that reminded me of my treasured roll of Izal, which alas hasn't been seen since the last house move.  It was the special stuff issued to Government bunkers: not only did it have "Goverment Property" printed on every sheet, but also the instruction "USE BOTH SIDES". 

I think you might have been conned there, probably last April the first :lol:

• Funny 1

On 16/02/2021 at 10:23, Johann Marsbar said:

Appears to be a National baked bean shortage if the shelves at the local Morrisons were anything to go by this morning.....

One of those usual shortages that only seems to impact Morrisons - along with frozen fine green beans and any decent wine..  

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Just found out....no carrots again, same as last week......I like my carrots! :ireful:

Its only the past few weeks we have been having issues, I hope it’s just a local isolated problem.

No problem with carrots.

Usual 1kg bag of English ones, every fortnight. AFAIK never been OOS.

Occasionally spuds are in short supply and a sub comes, problem is most of the spuds Asda stock are for roasting or chipping and turn to mush if boiled, so when the proper boilers are OOS, the usual sub is Maris Piper which is rubbish for just boiling but OK if you want mash the them.

12 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

I think you might have been conned there, probably last April the first :lol:

If that's the case, I wonder why somebody went to the trouble of printing a carton full of them and leaving it in a storeroom in the Tunbridge Wells War Room bunker so my mate could find them when the place was being demolished 20 years ago.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Just took the peepers out the fridge that were delivered yesterday and the red one is all mouldy......in date until the 21st.....ha ha....another email to customer fob off department.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, melmerby said:

No problem with carrots.

Usual 1kg bag of English ones, every fortnight. AFAIK never been OOS.

Occasionally spuds are in short supply and a sub comes, problem is most of the spuds Asda stock are for roasting or chipping and turn to mush if boiled, so when the proper boilers are OOS, the usual sub is Maris Piper which is rubbish for just boiling but OK if you want mash the them.

Our friends who shop at Tesco all day long have been saying no shortage of carrots......must be a local thing down here.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Carrots should not be in short demand either in this country or at this time of year, they are an autumn crop and are all in cold storage waiting to be used. More likely the deliveries to the stores were affected by the bad weather. Or when your order is picked it may be towards the end of the store/facility's replenishment cycle (which could be affected by late deliveries). Strange that it has happened 2 weeks running though.

The odd hiccup can always occur but with carrots the store should have a couple of days stock. Every now and then stock levels go out of sync with what the computer is showing, owing to what is called miss picks (wrong items picked or put accidently in another stores queue), but this rare with main items like these and picked up quickly with off sales.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, hayfield said:

Carrots should not be in short demand either in this country or at this time of year, they are an autumn crop and are all in cold storage waiting to be used. More likely the deliveries to the stores were affected by the bad weather. Or when your order is picked it may be towards the end of the store/facility's replenishment cycle (which could be affected by late deliveries). Strange that it has happened 2 weeks running though.

The odd hiccup can always occur but with carrots the store should have a couple of days stock. Every now and then stock levels go out of sync with what the computer is showing, owing to what is called miss picks (wrong items picked or put accidently in another stores queue), but this rare with main items like these and picked up quickly with off sales.

Indeed.....but whatever the reason we still have no carrots ;)

Annoyingly up in Norfolk we have thousands of tons of pots in cold store :lol:

• Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, hayfield said:

In the store where I work on the produce section we have had no shortage of carrots since the first panic last year.

There is generally still some stock in the chiller in reserve, perhaps enough in total for 2 days trading but no more. As I mentioned before once the night turn have finished the fill routine there is often not much left in the warehouse, certainly much less than when I started there 13 years ago. On many fresh lines what you see in the shelf is what we have.

cheers 

• RMweb Gold

Herself went shopping in Waitrose yesterday morning on;y to find them out of a lot of fresh veg so the daughter then conveyed on to Tesco (at the other end of town) where there were plentiful stocks of every sort of fresh veg.  Looks as if it is more an organisational/logistics thing rather than real shortages judging by experience here.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

There is a plentiful supply round here in the usual supermarkets, but all seems very short on best before dates making it difficult to only shop once a week. I do push beyond the dates but you either end up with sweaty pre-chopped leaves (spring greens, spinach, lettuce etc)which is a no-go, or buying fresh in far bigger portions that required...either way throwing too much out for my liking...

• Friendly/supportive 1