The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Toilet rolls still reduc ed this past weekend (and in Waitrose on Friday) so we now have plenty (more) in stock.  No particular shortages being noted by  our shoppers in either Tesco or Waitrose in the past few days.

I went into the local Waitrose at 5pm - quite quiet, but an absence of some greens (e.g. sprouts except for those horrendous 'sprout trees', and the only courgettes were loose and big enough to be described as marrows. OTOH, "blush oranges" as they squeamishly call them were abundant so I bought 2 packs instead of one - I suppose that is my personal contribution to panic buying this week.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Toilet rolls still reduc ed this past weekend (and in Waitrose on Friday) so we now have plenty (more) in stock.  No particular shortages being noted by  our shoppers in either Tesco or Waitrose in the past few days.

Are you expecting a Diarrhoea  pandemic?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Sainsbury's last night usual absence of items due to their appalling stock levels that occur in normal times (unsmoked mackerel fillets and Free From Steak Pies absent as normal) but the frozen veg section was virtually void of items.

Is that a vegetarian pie or a gluten (etc) free pie?

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

GF, use to get them from Asda but they haven't had any since last summer. 

Presumably some kind of ingredient shortage due to Covid as I can’t imagine people rushed to go gluten free because of the pandemic!

• RMweb Premium

We are getting a bit of a double whammy with shortages here in Northern Ireland, between Covid related shortages and the whole Brexit debacle.

At work (Pets At Home) our raw feed freezers are empty because the supplier is in England and has to recertify all their items to come here, as we are technically bound by EU food standard rules. I had a few upset customers yesterday and all I could do was tell them to head to the local butcher or Google for a supplier who uses locally sourced meat.

It's frustrating that all this frozen food met EU regulations before the 31st December, and now, suddenly it doesn't.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, StevieD71 said:

It's frustrating that all this frozen food met EU regulations before the 31st December, and now, suddenly it doesn't.

Same with the ham in truck driver's sandwiches...

• Like 1

On 13/01/2021 at 12:24, Butler Henderson said:

Factory shut down due to Covid was Asdas reason for not stocking a lot of GF items any longer

Have you tried larger Asda stores (unless it IS a larger one!)?

Our town "supermarket" (bearing in mind Asda usually have Hypermarkets - "supermarkets" are like a large corner shops these days) has taken this COVID opportunity to get rid of more value lines.  No Smart Price mint sauce or mustard here any more.  Go 10 mins in the other direction to the next (and larger) town Asda and you can get anything.

I carried out my weekly shopping expedition yesterday at my local Tesco store. The only idea that I had in so far as shortages were concerned, was what I had read in the press. Which wasn't reassuring. 

The store was well stocked with fresh fruit and vegetables, and I could not discern any other shortages throughout the store.

I am a glass half empty sort of bloke, so am dreading next weeks shop.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Worst order yet from Asda

Despite most missing items having been listed as "substitutes accepted", they aren't supplying any.

No Apples

No Oranges they got knocked off the list days ago and there were none to order of any sort.

No Cornflakes

No Olive Oil

No Longlife  Milk

No Frozen Broad Beans

Several ready meals not supplied (not listed for substitution)

Some of this is UK produced stuff so cn't blame Brexit.

A total of £29.92 worth of goods from a total of £123.66

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Worst order yet from Asda

Despite most missing items having been listed as "substitutes accepted", they aren't supplying any.

No Apples

No Oranges they got knocked off the list days ago and there were none to order of any sort.

No Cornflakes

No Olive Oil

No Longlife  Milk

No Frozen Broad Beans

Several ready meals not supplied (not listed for substitution)

Some of this is UK produced stuff so cn't blame Brexit.

A total of £29.92 worth of goods from a total of £123.66

Must be local - no omissions; no subs this week.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

John Isherwood.

Apart from the omissions there were also a few subs, so not a very succesful shop.

The apples and oranges seem to have been a bit precarious for a few weeks, the last order ended up with subs for the apples and the previous order we had subs for the oranges

The oranges had been "unavailable" for several days this time and there were none listed at all of any variety on the website when I did the order last night.

• Friendly/supportive 2

25 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Apart from the omissions there were also a few subs, so not a very succesful shop.

The apples and oranges seem to have been a bit precarious for a few weeks, the last order ended up with subs for the apples and the previous order we had subs for the oranges

The oranges had been "unavailable" for several days this time and there were none listed at all of any variety on the website when I did the order last night.

The absence of oranges may be related to the recent weather in Spain; heavy snow and temperatures as low as -27.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

John Isherwood.

Same here, all good.....but then probably the same source as John, good luck next time.

edit:  I stand corrected, no oranges apparently.

Edited by boxbrownie

52 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

The absence of oranges may be related to the recent weather in Spain; heavy snow and temperatures as low as -27.

That has been mentioned in the store where I work, part time, on the fruit and veg section.

Last week we did have a couple of lines of citrus out of stock, (the shelves were overfilled with other lines rather than leave gaps).

On another point Covid is now affecting more people locally. My section consists of a manager, 2 full time, and 4 part time staff. The manager is shielding (again), and one of the full timers is now isolating. This leaves 1 full time and 4 part time to cover 07.00 - 22.00 EWD and 08.00 - 16.00 SUN, quite often leaving just one staff member on duty, with no break cover.

cheers 

• Friendly/supportive 12