The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Nick C said:

I find that frozen-then-defrosted milk tastes revolting in tea - is there some kind of trick I'm missing?

It depends on how its been defrosted.

If its just been defrosted by being left out on the draining board or nuked in the microwave, then its not going to either last as long, or taste "normal".

The best way to defrost frozen milk is to put it straight into the fridge and it'll defrost over 24 hours or so. and be more or less in the state it was in when put in the freezer.  Given comments about the bottle splitting when frozen, inspection should show if there's a split, otherwise place the bottle in a measuring jug while defrosting to discourage floods!

44 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

QT, instant tea, the milk is already in it....just add hot water!

That stuff DOES taste vile!  But it has its place...

(I didn't know you could still get it!)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

It depends on how its been defrosted.

If its just been defrosted by being left out on the draining board or nuked in the microwave, then its not going to either last as long, or taste "normal".

The best way to defrost frozen milk is to put it straight into the fridge and it'll defrost over 24 hours or so. and be more or less in the state it was in when put in the freezer.  Given comments about the bottle splitting when frozen, inspection should show if there's a split, otherwise place the bottle in a measuring jug while defrosting to discourage floods!

That stuff DOES taste vile!  But it has its place...

(I didn't know you could still get it!)

It certainly does. We recently did a general clear-out and re-ordering of the pantry, and found a jar of it which appeared to have been in place since at least 1996, judging by the “best-by” date on the label. 

It’s filthy stuff. I always remember it as being a staple of the small, often obsolescent inshore craft encountered as “vessels of opportunity” in the marine engineering sector. 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

It’s filthy stuff. I always remember it as being a staple of the small, often obsolescent inshore craft encountered as “vessels of opportunity” in the marine engineering sector. 

I was going to mention its "use" in boating.  We used to keep a jar of it (and its "coffee" analogue) on the family narrowboat for use during winter maintenance visits. 

Going back to thawing milk, the other reason for a possible "odd" taste would be not waiting for it to completely thaw out and using it while there was still a core if ice in the bottle, you'd then have a sort of "condensed" milk...

• Like 1

Freezing milk! 

Why.

My mother used to freeze milk.

She would be defrosting the milk she put in the freezer the week before and freezing the fresh stuff she had just bought,

I could never see the logic.

Buy it fresh or get a milkperson.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, andytrains said:

Freezing milk! 

Why.

She would be defrosting the milk she put in the freezer the week before and freezing the fresh stuff she had just bought,

I never bothered freezing milk until this  year, when I did to help reduce going to the shops as often. And perhaps having a small bottle in there that'll defrost (relatively) quickly as a backup is a good idea in general.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, andytrains said:

Freezing milk! 

Why.

Unfortunately getting the milk delivered is getting harder, when we lived in mk deliveries went to every other day, then every other day not including weekends so we dropped them. Then we got here the same happened it was everyday, now every other day not including sunday's.

A ten mile round trip to buy is the alternative, at the moment that not a problem as I go past the place coming home from work, but in a couple of years I'll retire.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, andytrains said:

I stopped having milk delivered when I was getting too much spoilage.

I was told the milk was being loaded onto the float in the evening which was left in the depot ready for the next morning's deliveries

You can imagine what that did to the milk on a warm summer night.

Then the milkman would leave it out on the path rather than putting it in the porch as requested where it would get a nice sun tan in the afternoon.

Result: Milk already turned by the time we got back from work.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Some information directly from Asda Customer Service - as of 01/11/20, Asda no longer waives their delivery slot charge for Vulnerable Priority Slot Holders.

It seems that this latest 'Lockdown' does not qualify for the same concessions as the previous one - at Asda, anyway!

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Some information directly from Asda Customer Service - as of 01/11/20, Asda no longer waives their delivery slot charge for Vulnerable Priority Slot Holders.

It seems that this latest 'Lockdown' does not qualify for the same concessions as the previous one - at Asda, anyway!

John Isherwood.

No doubt we will receive the same information today.....it is annoying ASDA have removed priority slots from the Christmas period, but we will have to go back to using some local shops which deliver at Christmas (the big shopping lists), ASDA loose that one.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I don't know that this qualifies as panic buying, but people are definitely getting their Xmas shopping in early. Stocks generally appear to be very low (particularly for High St retailers, and to a considerable extent their on-line sales) and restocking, subject to high levels of uncertainty. 

There may be no cause for concern but based on the complete lack of information ... going shopping on Xmas Eve, as No 1 Son usually does, might not be a great idea this year. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just had the receipt for my Asda order coming later

No Tomato soup

No frozen Broad beans

No Pizza

Unwanted sub on kitchen gloves (wrong size, wrong type)

Ratatouille , which is tinned Mediterranean vegetables, subbed with tinned carrot/pea/turnip mixture (really?)

Several other items subbed as well but acceptable.

Looks like the vultures are swooping again.

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 17/11/2020 at 10:02, rockershovel said:

I don't know that this qualifies as panic buying, but people are definitely getting their Xmas shopping in early. Stocks generally appear to be very low (particularly for High St retailers, and to a considerable extent their on-line sales) and restocking, subject to high levels of uncertainty. 

There may be no cause for concern but based on the complete lack of information ... going shopping on Xmas Eve, as No 1 Son usually does, might not be a great idea this year. 

There was a piece on the news last week about delays unloading container ships at Felixstowe  As most of the Christmas 'tat' seems to originate in the Far East, any low stocks of such stuff might be due to those delays.

jch

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jchinuk said:

There was a piece on the news last week about delays unloading container ships at Felixstowe  As most of the Christmas 'tat' seems to originate in the Far East, any low stocks of such stuff might be due to those delays.

jch

Felixstowe Port is very busy, coping with the arrival of Christmas from forn parts. The issues seem to revolve around getting the trucks in and out quickly, according to local news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54908129

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Felixstowe Port is very busy, coping with the arrival of Christmas from forn parts. The issues seem to revolve around getting the trucks in and out quickly, according to local news.

Very much reflecting one of the real problems at a major British container port.  I did some work a good few years back on traffic (all types and all modes) from the Southampton area and one thing which came to light then was the delays road vehicles could suffer trying to get into the port to load a container at  busy times.  There were quite a few instances of lorries having to wait 24 hours or more to get in to load a container which had been landed at the port solely due to the volume of inward container traffic passing through the port.

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Very much reflecting one of the real problems at a major British container port.  I did some work a good few years back on traffic (all types and all modes) from the Southampton area and one thing which came to light then was the delays road vehicles could suffer trying to get into the port to load a container at  busy times.  There were quite a few instances of lorries having to wait 24 hours or more to get in to load a container which had been landed at the port solely due to the volume of inward container traffic passing through the port.

Not just a problem in the UK, Mike. I was told by one of the managers at Le Havre that lorries might wait a couple of days to pick up a box. The quantity of containers transported by rail from there was miserably low in comparison with Southampton; a handful of trains per day, and those were often light engine moves.

• Informative/Useful 1

Not exactly “panic buying” but I am definitely noticing a tendency to over-sell things which aren’t in stock, sometimes in conjunction with an attempt to increase the price when available. I’ve just cancelled an order for some riding boots for No 1 Son for this reason, and another supplier’s website substituted a price about 30% higher at check-out stage. 

Further to my post a couple of weeks ago about registering for priority slots at Tesco, we finally got there late this morning.  Woo hoo!  We can now see the priority slots, and can avail ourselves of one should we so wish.  Hurrah.  It's only taken 11 emails and 9 phone calls spread over the 16 days since we were assured that the matter was in hand and we'd see the slots "in 24 hours" ...

• Friendly/supportive 5

On 25/11/2020 at 14:14, Jol Wilkinson said:

I dare say this is at least part if the reason for traffic levels on the A14 yesterday. 

• RMweb Premium

When the second lockdown was introduced we had to drive up the A140 to Norwich on the first day for a hospital visit, the road was almost deserted.

One week later we had to drive to Coventry via the A14 and had never seen it so busy in the fifteen years we have made that journey every couple of months, mainly with HGV's but also a lot of cars. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

New variant on Panic Buying. Debenhams website overwhelmed by "bargain seekers".

A bad week for the High Street. Corinavirus not to blame although it may have hastened the demise of poorly managed businesses. Out of town shopping centres and online shopping have been the real cause.

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Can you still buy Evaporated Milk?  Only ask because we bought it in the 1970s because the cat preferred his cup of tea made with "Vap" rather than ordinary milk.  Bill

yep

www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/search?query=evaporated%20milk"

Edited by TheQ
  • Agree 2