The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

I had an Ocado delivery this morning. I occasionally buy a bag of coffee logs for the fire, but this week they were OOS. The delivery man was chatting as he placed the bags on my doorstep and said he was not surprised as a woman had ordered 12 bags of them yesterday. 

It is strange what items people seem to hoard. There are 16 logs in a bag, so that is 192 of them which would have cost her close to £100.  They are not cheap, and I only get them once in a while in order to make the smoke coming out of my chimney smell better because I am paranoid that the neighbours will complain in these environmentally sensitive days. 

That's the kind of thing that needs to be stopped - their systems ought to reject any order for an unusually large number of anything - or, if there are shortages (which the system ought to be able to spot), reduce the numbers for those with larger orders to allow the smaller ones to go through - e.g. if she only got 6, that'd still keep her going for a while, but would allow 6 people who ordered one or two to still get one.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jonny777 said:

.... I only get them once in a while in order to make the smoke coming out of my chimney smell better because I am paranoid that the neighbours will complain in these environmentally sensitive days.

Surely there can be nobody who doesn't relish the smell of a real log fire?

John Isherwood.

11 hours ago, cctransuk said:

John Isherwood.

That is probably true, but it is an open grate and I am not in a controlled area so am able to burn anything - including house coal until it is banned next year. 

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

That is probably true, but it is an open grate and I am not in a controlled area so am able to burn anything - including house coal until it is banned next year. 

I got a good discount on coal recently, as the merchants are beginning to sell off old stocks that don't meet the new standards.. We now have 4 tons in stock..

Our Stove will remain in use.. we regularly get power cuts in the winter and we need heat when the central heating shuts down..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 3

You are fortunate in being able to store that much coal. I don't have the space, or a coal bunker, and so can only buy the bagged variety which will become illegal to sell after February next year. Bulk unbagged deliveries are ok until 2023 I gather. 

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

You are fortunate in being able to store that much coal. I don't have the space, or a coal bunker, and so can only buy the bagged variety which will become illegal to sell after February next year. Bulk unbagged deliveries are ok until 2023 I gather. 

Didn't feel so fortunate in moving that lot.. for some reason delivered in a artic lorry so they couldn't back into the garden.. Actually it's bagged coal we get as we don't have the bunker space for that amount..

There are Bagged varieties that are supposed to be useable after that date, as they are man made and have lower CO2 etc however I bet they will be more expensive...

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

Ours is too - we burn seasoned hardwood logs; (a tipper lorry load each autumn); and there is virtually no smoke.

John Isherwood.

I see CPL have a pallet of 40 bags (1 ton) on offer for £248 (to my postcode at least), which seems a bargain. I'm not sure what the quality will be like, but seems rather too good to miss. 

https://www.coals2u.co.uk/offers.html

Scroll down. 

Can't seem to get rid of this quote box. 

Edited by jonny777

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

I see CPL have a pallet of 40 bags (1 ton) on offer for £248 (to my postcode at least), which seems a bargain. I'm not sure what the quality will be like, but seems rather too good to miss. 

https://www.coals2u.co.uk/offers.html

Scroll down. 

I think it's pot luck what you get, we got delivered a bags of small ovals, an imitation anthracite.

It didn't want to go as our stove was set up for a different coal. But now I've found one small shovel of our old coal, then three shovels fulls of the new stuff, burns and lasts well..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Ours is too - we burn seasoned hardwood logs; (a tipper lorry load each autumn); and there is virtually no smoke.

John Isherwood.

There will be limited smoke from any clean properly dried wood provided it is burning hot enough.  We largely burn our own wood at present - a mixture of cherry, sycamore, and hazel with occasional small pieces of apple and once the stove is going well and nice and hot there is almost no smoke.  The real problem for smoke are the soft fir woods which need to be stood for a long time, ideally 5 years, before they will burn cleanly.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Really ridiculous that. Domestic coal usage is negligable these days, it's the worst kind of tokenism.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, TheQ said:

I got a good discount on coal recently, as the merchants are beginning to sell off old stocks that don't meet the new standards.. We now have 4 tons in stock..

Our Stove will remain in use.. we regularly get power cuts in the winter and we need heat when the central heating shuts down..

How dare you ---- Greeta pm'd !!!!!!!!!!!!

Brit15

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, soony said:

Any reports yet of coronavirus vaccine being hoarded?.....

1 minute ago, Ohmisterporter said:

There was none on the shelves in ASDA.

Blimey

Gone already and it was only announced a couple of days ago:jester:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Today's order arrived from Asda, with 3 subs and one OOS as already noted and 4pt milk missing.

The driver noted the omission and I was credited within the hour.

Got all the rice & pasta ordered so after buying a few each time now have enough for a while.

13 hours ago, cctransuk said:

John Isherwood.

It's not the smoke that's the killer, it's the chemicals given off as a by product.

Anyway, what are they going to do with all the excess coal.

Idea.

Bury it and in several million years time it will be really good for burning!

• Agree 1

On 10/11/2020 at 21:37, cctransuk said:

John Isherwood.

People who have have Covid and have lost their sense of smell and taste.

I have been in hospital for a week with a really bad chest infection, (Not Covid).

I was talking to one of the nurses and she had, had Covid. She lost her taste and smell. 

It has come back, but when she smells petrol it smells like cheese. (Wierd).

When she has a cheese sandwich it tastes like curry.

• Friendly/supportive 3

Mrs Spikey was recently notified that she is extremely clinically vulnerable, and she has now been favoured with an email from Sainsbury's inviting her to open an account with them as a priority customer (or whatever term they used).   But we don't want to shop with Sainsbury's.  Anybody know if you lose your priority "status" if you don't shop with whichever supermarket drew your name in the Government's lucky dip?  

• Friendly/supportive 2

3 minutes ago, spikey said:

Mrs Spikey was recently notified that she is extremely clinically vulnerable, and she has now been favoured with an email from Sainsbury's inviting her to open an account with them as a priority customer (or whatever term they used).   But we don't want to shop with Sainsbury's.  Anybody know if you lose your priority "status" if you don't shop with whichever supermarket drew your name in the Government's lucky dip?  

Probably not, but good luck getting a different supermarket to accept you, having declined the first.... if you decide to try this, it would be most instructive to hear the outcome. I’d suggest you accept Sainsbury's THEN try shopping around for an alternative. 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/11/2020 at 21:37, cctransuk said:

I actually prefer the smell of coal smoke. A tinge of it in the air on a cold winter's day, wonderful, and getting rid of it is another bit of the soul of the country being killed off (on the other hand getting rid of thick smog from it in the 50s was very definitely a good move, as is the big reduction in the amount used to generate electricity).

Still I suppose there's the not as good artificial stuff, or anthracite, although in my experience the latter would make a better asbestos substitute than something to burn.

Edited by Reorte

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Reorte said:

I actually prefer the smell of coal smoke. A tinge of it in the air on a cold winter's day, wonderful, and getting rid of it is another bit of the soul of the country being killed off (on the other hand getting rid of thick smog from it in the 50s was very definitely a good move, as is the big reduction in the amount used to generate electricity)

Definitely getting rid of it finally will be a good move, I still remember as a diddly kid in London walking to school in “caterpillar” because you couldn’t see more then three feet in front of you........

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, melmerby said:

Today's order arrived from Asda, with 3 subs and one OOS as already noted and 4pt milk missing.

The driver noted the omission and I was credited within the hour.

Got all the rice & pasta ordered so after buying a few each time now have enough for a while.

We always check our ASDA order the day before, this week the ASDA milk was “unavailable” so I changed it to Cravendale, order came yesterday and yes, you guessed it.....both ASDA and Cravendale milk turned up, anyhoo had already unpacked and “fridged” the Cravendale so the ASDA stuff went back, but actually it did us a favour as we cannot get an order slot for the Christmas period (so much for priority vulnerable customers) so our food/drink is going to have to stretch a bit, but I did notice the Cravendale says it lasts longer as it is filtered, and sure enough it has a good three weeks shelf life, so the last order before Christmas we shall be ordering as much Cravendale as ASDA will let us.

• RMweb Premium

+coal smoke? only when accompanied by steam oil.. 

what I do miss is peat smoke... so I'll fix that with some whisky tonight...