The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Just had an e-mail from Asda to say that we cannot have our recurring slots that fall between 19th Dec - 2nd Jan as they are unavailable

So what's the point of recurring slots?

Anyway, you have to book your own re-curring slot (if available!), then fill the basket & then checkout. What a palaver

I can still change the basket up until the day before.

Well I suppose it is understandable over the Christmas break period, after all the staff want a holiday also and it’s not for very long.....we have yet to hear about our recurring slot with ASDA and whether our “vulnerable” slots are carrying on now there is another lockdown, I thought the slots were due to end in November some time.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Just had an e-mail from Asda to say that we cannot have our recurring slots that fall between 19th Dec - 2nd Jan as they are unavailable

So what's the point of recurring slots?

Anyway, you have to book your own re-curring slot (if available!), then fill the basket & then checkout. What a palaver

I can still change the basket up until the day before.

We don't find it a palaver to do the recurring slot thing - very simple, really, as you can use your previous orders as the basis for your next order, and then delete or add items as required.

Reading the e-mail from ASDA, I am assuming that our recurring slots on 21st and 28th December will not be available, but I noticed in Asda this morning; (called in to collect a prescription); that the Festive Season slots will be on-line from this Friday, 6th November. I will be going on-line first thing on Friday and, hopefully, getting a couple of slots set up.

Delivery by recurring slot is definitely preferable to going out in the cold and wet at this time of year!

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Well I suppose it is understandable over the Christmas break period, after all the staff want a holiday also and it’s not for very long.....we have yet to hear about our recurring slot with ASDA and whether our “vulnerable” slots are carrying on now there is another lockdown, I thought the slots were due to end in November some time.

If you look at the Recurring Slot tab in your My Account section, it will tell you when your Delivery Pass expires - our is some time in April 2021.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

We don't find it a palaver to do the recurring slot thing - very simple, really, as you can use your previous orders as the basis for your next order, and then delete or add items as required.

Reading the e-mail from ASDA, I am assuming that our recurring slots on 21st and 28th December will not be available, but I noticed in Asda this morning; (called in to collect a prescription); that the Festive Season slots will be on-line from this Friday, 6th November. I will be going on-line first thing on Friday and, hopefully, getting a couple of slots set up.

Delivery by recurring slot is definitely preferable to going out in the cold and wet at this time of year!

John Isherwood.

That's exactly what we do.

The festive slots had been available for a few days before I got the e-mail this morning, advising me to book up (before the 6th?), with a result that my usual one and practically every other one had already "sold out", I was fortunate that there was availability later in the evening the same day but that was all, everything from the 19th Dec to evening of the 23rd were sold out. Another few hours and they would all have been gone.

The 6th Nov date is when the free for all starts, those with a recurring slot should have booked theirs before then.

My gripe is why wasn't my slot offered to me for first refusal?

Others have been allowed to book slots, including mine, before I was notified.

Edited by melmerby
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Yesterday at the DIY store was busy. A lot of it was people getting stuff for projects over lockdown 2. Store management are expecting us to be open as normal from Thursday (though things may change between now and then).

We will be closed on Boxing Day however.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, melmerby said:

That's exactly what we do.

The festive slots had been available for a few days before I got the e-mail this morning, advising me to book up (before the 6th?), with a result that my usual one and practically every other one had already "sold out", I was fortunate that there was availability later in the evening the same day but that was all, everything from the 19th Dec to evening of the 23rd were sold out. Another few hours and they would all have been gone.

The 6th Nov date is when the free for all starts, those with a recurring slot should have booked theirs before then.

My gripe is why wasn't my slot offered to me for first refusal?

Others have been allowed to book slots, including mine, before I was notified.

Very odd, it might be because we have a “vulnerable” recurring slot but there is no way the ASDA site will let us book slots during the Christmas period.......bit annoying.

Edited by boxbrownie

15 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Thanks for pointing that out. It isn't something we were aware of on the Tesco site.  

Is this a regional thing, we can only book a slot for upto 3 weeks in advance. Don't see anyway of booking recurring slot on the Tesco website.

I have an Ocado delivery, and for the first time in months I have had no missing items and no substitutions today.  :dance_mini:

However, every cheap paracetamol brand is out of stock. 

Since M&S replaced Waitrose, there are no recycled toilet paper options. I have bought the bamboo alternative. Wish me luck. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

I have an Ocado delivery, and for the first time in months I have had no missing items and no substitutions today.  :dance_mini:

However, every cheap paracetamol brand is out of stock. 

Since M&S replaced Waitrose, there are no recycled toilet paper options. I have bought the bamboo alternative. Wish me luck. 

Bamboo can have some very sharp edges:rolleyes:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, tender said:

Is this a regional thing, we can only book a slot for upto 3 weeks in advance. Don't see anyway of booking recurring slot on the Tesco website.

This:

https://www.tesco.com/deliverysaver/

It seems to be the same as the Asda "Delivery Pass"

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

As our freezer was getting empty, we did a run to Farmfoods at Wisbech this morning. Approaching the site, we noticed the car parking slots were nearly full (they surround the shop on a small plot) but assumed this was because of Macdonalds on the same site. However, we found the barrow shelter nearly empty, though the store was fairly busy it wasn't crowded. Supplies were plentiful, but there was an oldish couple with 2 barrows, piled high with 10 packs of loo rolls!

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

No loo roll 24 packs in Iceland today, apparently they sell other stuff too and they had these freezers full of all sort of stuff - I was only looking for a single pack of loo rolls so I passed straight through.

In panic buying mode I did go to B&Q to get a 1200mm plank, a 1200mm stick and some M6 bolts and accessories.  Suddenly realised my plans to reconstruct my baseboards from a 4 x 4 loop back into and 8 x 5 x 4 end to end would backfire if I couldn't get to B&Q and I am not about to resort to click and collect for a wonky piece of wood.

Now the question is what gauge do I go - no need to panic I have options.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, melmerby said:

The festive slots had been available for a few days before I got the e-mail this morning, advising me to book up (before the 6th?), with a result that my usual one and practically every other one had already "sold out" ....

That's odd, neither boxbrownie or I can currently access any slot after 19th December - and the notice in Asda DEFINITELY said that they wouldn't go on-line before 6th November. They're not SOLD OUT after 19/12 - they're just not available to anyone yet.

The 'free-for-all' starting on 6th November is for EVERYONE - there is no priority or 'first dibs' for recurring slot customers.

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

That's odd, neither boxbrownie or I can currently access any slot after 19th December - and the notice in Asda DEFINITELY said that they wouldn't go on-line before 6th November. They're not SOLD OUT after 19/12 - they're just not available to anyone yet.

The 'free-for-all' starting on 6th November is for EVERYONE - there is no priority or 'first dibs' for recurring slot customers.

John Isherwood.

I get this:

bookings.JPG.c4963718098258373b39a5042cb6b8ea.JPG

followed by this:

image.png.f2c73db1c4452839b040d1769362947c.png

Seems like a few more slots than when I booked.

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I get this:

bookings.JPG.c4963718098258373b39a5042cb6b8ea.JPG

followed by this:

image.png.f2c73db1c4452839b040d1769362947c.png

Seems like a few more slots than when I looked.

I see what is happening - Delivery Pass customers - ie. those that pay for a Pass, (which I assume includes you), get 'first dibs' until 05/11.

Those of us plebs with 'Priority' Passes - on the basis that we are vulnerable - don't get 'first dibs', and must dive into the scramble of the great unwashed, from 06/11 onwards!

Some 'Priority' - what?

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I see what is happening - Delivery Pass customers - ie. those that pay for a Pass, (which I assume includes you), get 'first dibs' until 05/11.

Those of us plebs with 'Priority' Passes - on the basis that we are vulnerable - don't get 'first dibs', and must dive into the scramble of the great unwashed, from 06/11 onwards!

Some 'Priority' - what?

John Isherwood.

TBH I would consider us vunerable due to our ages and medical conditions*, but we didn't get a priority rating.

The chap next door is 84 and is still having to do his own shopping. He has several medical conditions as well but he's still fairly active.

I suppose it depends on the GP sending info to HM Government or whatever.

I thank Asda for giving us a delivery slot when Sainsburys, Morrisons & Ocado couldn't/wouldn't.

*as defined by HMG

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, melmerby said:

TBH I would consider us vunerable due to our ages and medical conditions*, but we didn't get a priority rating.

The chap next door is 84 and is still having to do his own shopping. He has several medical conditions as well but he's still fairly active.

I suppose it depends on the GP sending info to HM Government or whatever.

I thank Asda for giving us a delivery slot when Sainsburys, Morrisons & Ocado couldn't/wouldn't.

*as defined by HMG

We are both 75 and as soon as Sainsbury's started giving priority slots I was automatically registered back in March. I assume this was because when I registered for online shopping years ago I must have given them my date of birth. The chairman sent me an email personally! Since then we've never had a problem getting a slot, and can book up to two weeks in advance. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, RFS said:

We are both 75 and as soon as Sainsbury's started giving priority slots I was automatically registered back in March. I assume this was because when I registered for online shopping years ago I must have given them my date of birth. The chairman sent me an email personally! Since then we've never had a problem getting a slot, and can book up to two weeks in advance. 

I have wondered how the priority system works. I am 74, had prostate cancer some years ago and was finally signed off by Addenbrookes in June. I have been undergoing treatment since early April for a detached retina while my wife has been undergoing treatment for melanoma including surgery in July. However, whether this qualifies us as vulnerable and how we might go about being recognised as such, I have no idea.

• Friendly/supportive 2

Shortages?... Popped into the Aldi fracas today and found the assisstant picking over someones trolley at the checkout, saying you cant have these , you cant have those.. Baked Beans limited to 4 tins or 1 pack of 4 Heinz beans,   Baby wipes limited to 4 smallish packs, soups rationed to a couple tins - 4 if its 4 different flavours. Walking around the store observing the near riot taking place in all , yes all, aisles. I wouldnt mind but I asked the assisstant if there was any restrictions in the next 4 weeks and as long as they can get the stuff on the shelves- theres no shortages..

• Friendly/supportive 1