The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Premium

This morning there were lengthy queues to get into M&S and Waitrose in Chichester, all people of a certain age (I was the youngest there at a sprightly (for Chichester) 45!) all very polite and unbelievably middle class....

Tinned Tuna was noticeably low but apart from that all was well plus M&S had stacks of Mail on Sunday's, the regular loo paper of the upper classes around here.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Sainsbury's website seemed a lot slower than usual when I put in our regular order this afternoon, and the choice of slots was very limited - had to go for 8am instead of our usual 10pm. They seem to have stopped doing my wife's favourite cereal too. We'll see what turns out to be out of stock on Wednesday...

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Nick C said:

Sainsbury's website seemed a lot slower than usual when I put in our regular order this afternoon, and the choice of slots was very limited - had to go for 8am instead of our usual 10pm. They seem to have stopped doing my wife's favourite cereal too. We'll see what turns out to be out of stock on Wednesday...

It'll all die down again in about a month - just in time for Boris to tell us that the lockdown ISN'T going to end on 02/12.

That done, it'll all start up again - on steroids - because Christmas will be just around the corner!

Cynical? Me?

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, 40F said:

Just been to our local Morrisons . No queues plenty of everything for everybody. 

You're lucky. Ours was packed yesterday, no room for social distancing. And quite a few products either not available or in very limited quantities. There has not been any grapefruit juice for weeks.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, cctransuk said:

It'll all die down again in about a month - just in time for Boris to tell us that the lockdown ISN'T going to end on 02/12.

That done, it'll all start up again - on steroids - because Christmas will be just around the corner!

Cynical? Me?

John Isherwood.

Not cynical. Just suitably sceptic.

• Funny 1

May be we were lucky. To be honest I was dreading it but .although busy, as I say plenty of Toilet Rolls,bread and Fruit juices. We are /have not been in a lockdown tier 3 area but what our marvellous mayor describes as tier 1.1/2 or tier one and half. We are all trying to work out what that means.  

Local Sainsburys this am had reconstructed all the barriers for the Queuing system to get in, but there was no need for it.  It was busier than usual at that time (more elderly people about) but the shelves seemed fairly well stocked apart from one or two areas. The woman on the checkout did say that they had been swamped with customers yesterday though!

Only got the pleasure of 1 more visit next week before I (hopefully..) won't have to go there again for some time - though I await the phone call cancelling my operation again....

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rockershovel said:

On-Line shopping delivery slots are apparently under pressure, but no insurmountable issues, is the word from the commissary here...

No slots available from our local Tesco Extra for at least the next three weeks. Morrisons and Sainsburys can do anytime Saturday 7th.  We have  found Tesco hopeless for deliveries since the first lockdown started. It has been our regular supermarket for the last 15 years so we still shop there in person as we know our way around so can get in and out quicker.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

just got back from Sainsburys  a lot more shoppers than normal nothing had run out 

but fruit veg milk fruit juice pasta and loo rolls in short supply  

John 

• RMweb Gold

Went round my local Tesco, Morrisons and Aldi.

No queueing, shelves reasonably stocked, particularly for the usual suspects.

I won't mention where, just in case the raving loonies find out and play supermarket sweep! :jester:

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andy Hayter said:

You missed off wheels.

Loco wheels

Tender wheels

Coach wheels

Mansell wheels

spoked wagon wheels

split spoke wagon wheels 

There are some around but it is hit and miss who has what.

I've just stocked up on Alan Gibson wheels.

Got everything I wanted

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

No slots available from our local Tesco Extra for at least the next three weeks.

Why not buy a weekly slot, then it's always there?

At the start of all this when I registered with Asda I reservered a slot every two weeks (often enough for us) for a whole year.

At the end  of the year you just re-new

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Why not buy a weekly slot, then it's always there?

At the start of all this when I registered with Asda I reservered a slot every two weeks (often enough for us) for a whole year.

At the end  of the year you just re-new

Thanks for pointing that out. It isn't something we were aware of on the Tesco site.  We have also tended to shop locally (Coop, Spar, butcher, green grocer) whenever possible to support them but they don't always have the products/brands we want. So a two or three weekly big spend with the supermarket for the bulk items and fresh items locally between times.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just had an e-mail from Asda to say that we cannot have our recurring slots that fall between 19th Dec - 2nd Jan as they are unavailable

So what's the point of recurring slots?

Anyway, you have to book your own re-curring slot (if available!), then fill the basket & then checkout. What a palaver

I can still change the basket up until the day before.

• Friendly/supportive 2