The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

31 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

A quick Google on candied mixed peel brings up plenty of on-line sources - plus it suggests that wholefood shops might be a good place to look.

John Isherwood.

Somehow I find the idea of “wholefood candied mixed peel”, strangely off-putting.... but why on-line sources? My wife buys it every year around this time, usually after going through the ritual of investigating last years’ left-overs and pronouncing them unacceptable with little grimaces and cries of surprise and alarm. 

• Funny 2

My wife makes ours. 

It is not difficult. She just saves orange peel in the fridge (in a bag) for a while and then boils it in water with sugar after cutting into thin strips.

When I make the Christmas cake (early October), I just cut the strips into little cubes.  

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Somehow I find the idea of “wholefood candied mixed peel”, strangely off-putting.... but why on-line sources? My wife buys it every year around this time, usually after going through the ritual of investigating last years’ left-overs and pronouncing them unacceptable with little grimaces and cries of surprise and alarm. 

I don't get the off-putting bit - though the premium price may have that effect!

I'm sure that the product will be identical to the supermarket stuff. What is it, after all? Fruit peel and sugar.

There can be many reasons why it's not in the supermarkets - probably some obscure thing to do with Covid-19.

On-line sources have been invaluable to me this year.

John Isherwood.

3 hours ago, jonny777 said:

My wife makes ours. 

It is not difficult. She just saves orange peel in the fridge (in a bag) for a while and then boils it in water with sugar after cutting into thin strips.

When I make the Christmas cake (early October), I just cut the strips into little cubes.  

My mother used to do the same thing. Sometimes she would soak it in rum or brandy. I don’t know why the wife doesn’t, and I’m not about to worry about it...

20 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I don't get the off-putting bit - though the premium price may have that effect!

I'm sure that the product will be identical to the supermarket stuff. What is it, after all? Fruit peel and sugar.

There can be many reasons why it's not in the supermarkets - probably some obscure thing to do with Covid-19.

On-line sources have been invaluable to me this year.

John Isherwood.

“Wholefood” suggests “made from oatmeal and string”.....

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Candied mixed peel seems to be in short supply. My good wife was unable to include it in her weekly order (she is making Xmas pudding and Xmas cake at present). It wasn’t Out Of Stock, it just wasn’t included at all in the available ranges. 

I called to the local Coop this morning and again, it wasn’t there. The chap on the counter remarked that I wasn’t the first to ask for it, but they were out of stock at present. 

There was lots of candied mixed peal in my local Tesco on Tuesday, so possibly just a local shortage. 

4 hours ago, Kris said:

There was lots of candied mixed peal in my local Tesco on Tuesday, so possibly just a local shortage. 

Found it today in M&S Food Hall. Why it was there, and not on the Ocado website (which is supplied by M&S) I have no idea. 

I’m not much impressed with the present Ocado set-up. My wife has given up ordering fruit from them after several disappointments, and for the second week running the plastic milk bottle has split. 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 1

On 28/10/2020 at 17:27, alastairq said:

....and the flavour.....? Or do they do aniseed flavour?

I must check the ingredients lists too....

Check the P number on the bottle.

If it's the same as other products, it's the same product just different packaging.

Paracetamol is a good contender for this.

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, John M Upton said:

It's already started...

My SiL brought our grand daughter down for the weekend as he had the nod on the farm from buyers early last week about the lockdown (we are both in the lowest areas thankfully) they went home this morning but he mentioned he had popped into Waitrose to pick up some drinks for her on the way home and he said it was crazy, this was at eight Saturday night, shelves (the usual) were being emptied and he beat a hasty retreat.

Yes, it happens again......:rolleyes:

• RMweb Premium

I am not worried by the virus, its the pandemic of mass stupidity that I think is more worrying.

God knows what Christmas will be like.  I would rather no lockdown and cancel Christmas for this year to be honest. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, John M Upton said:

It's already started...

Even though BoJo specifically stated that there was no need to panic buy!

It'll be queues around the block to get in once more, and a fight to the finish fot the last toilet roll/bag of flour/bag of pasta/etc...

Surely all the idiots bought all the loo rolls they might need for the next x years a few weeks back. Certainly shelves if slightly low have not devastated recently. What is noticeable is how a number of items disappeared during the summer and have not returned; after a factory supplying Asda got closed due to a  CV19 outbreak a number of products have disappeared while I would have thought the factory had reopened since. Sainsburys have had none of their own After Eight equivalents; better value IMO than the thin overly packaged branded version IMO and more minty  than Asdas overly chocolate version and Morrisons watered down ones.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Surely all the idiots bought all the loo rolls they might need for the next x years a few weeks back. 

Not in Christchurch, I popped into Lidl yesterday lunchtime for essentials (ice cream and beer) and there were no loo rolls at all, the shelves had been cleared. <rolls eyes>

• Informative/Useful 1

31 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Surely all the idiots bought all the loo rolls they might need for the next x years a few weeks back. Certainly shelves if slightly low have not devastated recently. What is noticeable is how a number of items disappeared during the summer and have not returned; after a factory supplying Asda got closed due to a  CV19 outbreak a number of products have disappeared while I would have thought the factory had reopened since. Sainsburys have had none of their own After Eight equivalents; better value IMO than the thin overly packaged branded version IMO and more minty  than Asdas overly chocolate version and Morrisons watered down ones.

Part of the reason will be exactly the same as last time.

Each supermarket only holds stock on most lines for perhaps 24-36 hours trading, quite often everything is actually on the shelf, with nothing extra in the warehouse. It only takes each customer to buy 2x each item they normally buy and the shelves (and warehouse) will be cleared out.

Where I work stock levels in the store and warehouse had returned to pre-panic levels - but no greater than that.

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 minutes ago, Rivercider said:

Part of the reason will be exactly the same as last time.

Each supermarket only holds stock on most lines for perhaps 24-36 hours trading, quite often everything is

Not in these cases - "item currently unavailable" on the web sites. I know Sainsburys stock levels are pitiful, at the best of times mine has many empty fridge shelves with the consequential purchases of two or three of an item (assuming their is more than one on the shelf) when it is actually found in stock.