The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, rockershovel said:

My good wife had the idea of placing her Xmas shop order with Ocado, seeing as they wobbled briefly last week and she couldn’t get her usual shopping delivery day and had to settle for Sunday. Xmas Eve already booked out but 23rd still available...

I was under the impression that most Supermarket delivery services were unwilling to provide slots more than a couple of weeks ahead at the most. 

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I was under the impression that most Supermarket delivery services were unwilling to provide slots more than a couple of weeks ahead at the most. 

Nope - I have my Asda recurring slots set well into November.

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Oldddudders said:

Hmm. Sherry has to wait to get a slot two weeks hence. They simply aren't online. This is Asda Torbay. 

You may have to wait to make your first booked slot - but the secret is to then make it a recurring slot.

It may be a little inconvenient to have to be at home at the same time / date each week - but it is worth it for the reassurance that you will get a weekly delivery.

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

You may have to wait to make your first booked slot - but the secret is to then make it a recurring slot.

It may be a little inconvenient to have to be at home at the same time / date each week - but it is worth it for the reassurance that you will get a weekly delivery.

John Isherwood.

Worth further investigation, thanks. 

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Nope - I have my Asda recurring slots set well into November.

John Isherwood.

Here also.....none of the other “big names” would promise a recurring slot during the first lockdown.

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Hmm. Sherry has to wait to get a slot two weeks hence. They simply aren't online. This is Asda Torbay. 

Is she classed as vulnerable officially? This is the only way we got our weekly recurring slot (eventually!) from ASDA......no other supermarket would.

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Also when you've got slots ahead (at least with Tesco) it's best to put some shopping in like say 2 bananas and then fill it up closer to the date (or cancel if you've no need).

Don't do what a friend of a friend did:  Recently Tesco man appeared with just 2 mangy bananas.  They'd forgotten to use or cancel the slot.  Cost them 2 bananas plus £5 for the slot plus a penalty (not sure how much) for not making the £40 minimum!

• Funny 4

1 minute ago, Metr0Land said:

Also when you've got slots ahead (at least with Tesco) it's best to put some shopping in like say 2 bananas and then fill it up closer to the date (or cancel if you've no need).

Don't do what a friend of a friend did:  Recently Tesco man appeared with just 2 mangy bananas.  They'd forgotten to use or cancel the slot.  Cost them 2 bananas plus £5 for the slot plus a penalty (not sure how much) for not making the £40 minimum!

Fortunately, with Ocado that would be impossible because until you exceed the £40 minimum order the software will not allow you to go through the checkout process; and after a couple of hours without checking out, the order is lost.  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Is she classed as vulnerable officially? This is the only way we got our weekly recurring slot (eventually!) from ASDA......no other supermarket would.

No, not vulnerable, although stable angina is a worry. She needed the latest delivery due to having to quarantine for two weeks after staying with me. Otherwise she's happy w click-and-collect, although help with loading the car is good when you have arthritis, too. 

• Like 1

We use click and collect with Tesco and Morrisons. With Tesco there is usually no slot availability for several days, sometimes three weeks, ahead and there is a charge of £1.50 per slot. Morrisons have always had availability tomorrow and slots are free. 

An annoying thing with Tesco is that every time I try to log on they do not recognise my password. I therefore set another password and log on to make an order and cash out. Collect order no problem, until the next time when the same thing happens and I have to reset. No such problem at Morrisons. 

3 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

Buying bananas online seems to be a general recipe for disappointment. Ocado weren’t great for fruit and veg when they used Waitrose, now they have switched to M&S they are very poor. We get them from the local Co-op store, because their stocks are made up daily. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

I got a slot at Asda at first time of trying back in April.

Tesco, Morrisons & Sainsbury's wouldn't let me register, Ocado would but didn't offer any slots until a couple of months ago

N.B.

I'm not on the official vunerable list but am 74 and asthmatic (although not severe) and care for my 72 y.o. wife who couldn't manage on her own.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Had my delivery from Asda today

A few things were OOS when ordered but the delivery only had 1 sub & 1 no show.

All the pasta and rice came as did the ready meals.

I notice hand wash is still in very short supply, you would think the manufacturers could have ramped up production by now, 7 months in.

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, melmerby said:

I notice hand wash is still in very short supply, you would think the manufacturers could have ramped up production by now, 7 months in.

I was talking to someone who works for someone who makes it a few months ago - they were having problems getting the supplies they need (for the alcohol-based stuff).

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Reorte said:

I was talking to someone who works for someone who makes it a few months ago - they were having problems getting the supplies they need (for the alcohol-based stuff).

There also seems to be a shortage of the stuff they put in it to make it thicker.  Most seems to be as thin as water.

btw - has anyone else noticed that the stuff that Aldi has outside their shops seems to smell slightly of aniseed, or is it just me...  :jester:  (I take comfort from the fact that I can smell something!)

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

According to a report in one of the papers this morning there wasn’t really any panic buying a few months ago.  Not in the sense of individuals buying huge amounts - just lots of people buying a little bit extra.

Edited by BoD