The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

:read:  Pedant alert:

The Post Office didn't become Royal Mail until 2000.   The Post Office was upsetting the people of Yateley long before that.   :diablo_mini:

And plenty of other places for similar reasons.  Mind you - and apologies for going even further OT - it is even more ridiculous now due to further concentration of sorting offices.  I live in Oxfordshire but our Postcode has always been RG (for Reading - which is in Berkshire) but our post, even local post, is now sorted in Swindon which of course is in Wiltshire.  it also means that if - as they do - our vet writes to remind us the cats are due booster injections the letter will have travelled at least 100 miles to get the half mile from the vet's surgery to our house.

No wonder there's no panic buying of postage stamps nowadays ;)

• RMweb Premium
On 02/10/2020 at 09:44, melmerby said:

I've found something else that it seems has been subject to panic buying.

"Shiplap timber cladding"

My shed needs some maintenance so I popped to the local sawmill* for some but they didn't have any and said new supplies currently are rather hit and miss.

*proper sawmill not a DIY shed, where you can (usually) get any timber you want, cut to any size you want.

Just been to another place with a proper sawmill to try and source the timber to weatherproof my shed (/spray booth!) before the weather gets too bad.

Same story, "there is a shortage of timber, it's on order but we don't know when it will come"

What are people buying all the timber for?:scratchhead:

• Friendly/supportive 2

2 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Just been to another place with a proper sawmill to try and source the timber to weatherproof my shed (/spray booth!) before the weather gets too bad.

Same story, "there is a shortage of timber, it's on order but we don't know when it will come"

More likely, the forestry firms haven't been cutting it; this what I heard from our local fencing manufacturers, when I spoke to them this week.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

More likely, the forestry firms haven't been cutting it; this what I heard from our local fencing manufacturers, when I spoke to them this week.

Strange.

It needs to be cut to keep a managed forest going.

Can't see the timber industry being badly affected by Covid restrictions.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

This is a view, from Google, of their registered office address (and the site of their retail premises).  It is very definitely in England although the address is Chirk,  which is in Wales, and the Postcode is LL which is also in Wales (Llandudno).

Photo removed

For some reason, I always thought that LL had something to do with Llangollen...

LL does cover a wide area of North Wales....plenty of Ll place names there...

7 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Royal Mail as opposed to Post Office.

Funniest one is Hale near Speke. They want to be in Cheshire so they put Cheshire on their addresses with no postcode. So all their mail gets sent to Hale near Altrincham which is in Cheshire. Who send it back. It could be going back and forth for weeks. Until someone finally puts "Try Liverpool" on it.

All due to a few Hyacinth Buckets trying to be posh. :laugh:

For a time, The Wirral had L, Liverpool, Post Codes. This went at least as far as Ellesmere Port, in Cheshire. (The Boat Museum Post Code was L65 4EF if I remember correctly...)

People were upset, as Insurance companies would charge higher premiums fo L Post Codes...

A while ago now, it was changed, and the area is now CH Post Coded...Chester, instead. (CH64 4EF...)

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Sarahagain said:

For a time, The Wirral had L, Liverpool, Post Codes. This went at least as far as Ellesmere Port, in Cheshire. (The Boat Museum Post Code was L65 4EF if I remember correctly...)

People were upset, as Insurance companies would charge higher premiums fo L Post Codes...

A while ago now, it was changed, and the area is now CH Post Coded...Chester, instead. (CH64 4EF...)

Ellesmere Port of course has ‘Cheshire oaks’ outlet village

my wife used to work in borders bookshop on there and customers would give their address when for example ordering a book and say ‘Ellesmere Port, Cheshire’ and my wife would put ‘Ellesmere Port, Merseyside’ down for devilment!

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

Of course, though Ellesmere Port is on the side of the River Mersey, well, the Manchester Ship Canal is in between...Merseyside,the County is on the other side of the river...

Borders Books was on the Colosseum shopping and leisure area, next to Cheshire Oaks Outlet Village...the unit is now a branch of Next...

:);)

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Sarahagain said:

Borders Books was on the Colosseum shopping and leisure area, next to Cheshire Oaks Outlet Village...the unit is now a branch of Next...

:);)

actually, thinking about it it was actually ‘The wirral’ that people used to say rather than Cheshire!

and yes the colosseum, whatever it was called it was still a nightmare to get to from deeside when collecting her from work before the big changes at shotwick and the end of the M56 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Wirral, as a borough and part of Merseyside only occupies the top half of the Hundred of Wirral, which up to 1974 was a division of Cheshire. Ellesmere Port and Neston (the bottom part of the Wirral) is a borough which holds allegience to Cheshire.  The most head-wrenching thing is that Warrington is in Cheshire, though being on what was originally the Lancashire bank of the Mersey...

Best thing, a couple of electoral boundary changes ago, it was suggested that Wallasey should become part of a constituency with Bootle.  The suggestion was quietly dropped after it was pointed out that the mouth of the Mersey separated the two areas.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, melmerby said:

Strange.

It needs to be cut to keep a managed forest going.

Can't see the timber industry being badly affected by Covid restrictions.

It could be the sawmills or the distribution network rather than the forestry side.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

21 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

:read:  Pedant alert:

The Post Office didn't become Royal Mail until 2000.   The Post Office was upsetting the people of Yateley long before that.   :diablo_mini:

Nope. That's only an administration thing because of privatisation.

Royal Mail has existed since 1516. The Post Office sells you things like stamps.

I've still got my brass badge which says Royal Mail and has my number on it. Issued well before 2000.

And I seriously doubt these things are newer than 2000.

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

I’ve been working at Royal Mail for a while now, doing agency work sorting parcels. Seemed a better option than cowering behind the sofa, trusting in the BBC, for fear of being struck dead by plague as I crossed the doorstep... they gave me a spiffy “key worker” sticker for my windscreen (well, a pdf to print out, actually) so if I ever actually encounter Mr Plod I can dazzle him with my inherent value, and germs cringe and slink off, muttering like Muttley from Wacky Races. 

I think that’s how it works, anyway..

Royal Mail must be U.K. #1 user of those rather nasty blue nitrile gloves, although I prefer to go with my usual hi-grips. I’ve survived many years of working in places requiring inoculations against things most people only hear of on the Discovery Channel, and I still have my fingerprints despite the things sometimes found in drilling mud...

From this I discover, among other things that Peterborough postcodes extend at least as far as Skegness. They seem to cover a roughly triangular area E of the M1, from Huntingdon up the A1175 and A52 through Boston to the Lincs coast. It makes sense when you look on the map. 

Someone has obviously pressed the “panic” button, because sending packs of toilet rolls through the post is having something of a vogue at present.  

Edited by rockershovel
Peterborough postcodes include Oundle
  • Like 3

On 26/09/2020 at 11:09, boxbrownie said:

... then go up to the counter and load up the plates again with just as much.

Five minutes later they left the restaurant with their plates still full of the extra food remaining on the table, such a waste and the same mindset, it’s there so I’m having it and sod the rest.

I'm part of a "bargains" group on Facebook.
There are people who will buy things that don't even know what it is they've bought or how to use it... but it was cheap!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 01/10/2020 at 13:27, John Harris said:

John is quite correct, most goods are supplied "just in time", in theory a new supply arrives just as the last item is removed from the shelf.  Most supermarkets, certainly those that offer home deliveries or 'click & collect' get those orders from the same shelves as the ordinary punters, I shop early and there are dozens of staff fulfilling those orders for morning deliveries.  It's one reason you can order X and it not be supplied.

A trip up any motorway (or around the M25) will reveal numerous very large warehouses where the good are held prior to being delivered to the supermarkets.

Indeed!

I worked for a large supermarket for a few months in their distribution warehouse.

Lorry's came in loaded with anything... pallets of fresh veg, pizzas, sandwiches, flowers (these were the worst!), meats...

We'd have an arm computer that told us where to go with our pallet truck, "pick zone D1", scan that zone, collect the pallet and zoom off round "pick lanes", where you'd scan a sign above a cage, it would tell you how many to put in the cage (for that store) and which lane to go to next.  Our warehouse covered about 150 / 200 stores.  Didn't really do dry stuff, apart from some fruit and bread.

Cages were loaded onto other lorry's and shipped out throughout the day / overnight - it's a 24 hour operation with goods arriving and departing nearly all the time.

I think the two things that annoy me about this whole thing are:

1) People expecting the government to have answers to every detail.
No, they won't.

2) Companies not caring anymore.

My local Asda had a policy of "NHS and Key Workers only between 7am and 8am".  No communication, hence loads of people trying to get in at 7am.  A few weeks later, this changed to "NHS workers only" and I had a bit of a spat with the manager who couldn't answer how it was being communicated.

While it's a nice thing, I wonder how it would be faired in the courts.  Replace "NHS" with "No blacks" and it's a whole different ball game.  But surely it's the same thing, too?

But there's a lot of "during these unprecedented times..."  how long do you expect these times to last?
Surely you've had enough time now to work out how you're going to operate?  How long do you think this is going to last?  Many months, perhaps even years.  Can't keep dragging your feet, surely?  Surely they're not "unprecedented" anymore... it's now "normal".

Edited by Sir TophamHatt
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 08/10/2020 at 16:54, melmerby said:

My local wood yard had lots of timber being delivered.. but lots of home improvements were being undertaken so.. no planed "2 by1" was available unless you got there before the van/car loads had been taken..

Did anyone note that Plaster was also in short suppply and it had seen a 10* normal price if people did have it...

Baz

• Informative/Useful 1

41 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Did anyone note that Plaster was also in short suppply and it had seen a 10* normal price if people did have it...

Pretty sure this was discussed earlier in this thread.

Yup, first mentioned in May: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/152263-panic-buying/&do=findComment&comment=3971320 then on and off again since: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/search/&q=plaster&item=152263&type=forums_topic&sortby=newest

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

And... it still is in short supply with people panic buying any that turn up...

4 hours ago, Reorte said:

Toilet paper in my local Tesco last week was available - there wasn't a lot there, the shelf wasn't full, but it wasn't as bad as March.

March Tesco was fine for toilet roll last weekend when I went in! In fact there was more than enough to fill the shelves, and some of the aisle as well.

Edited by stewartingram
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1