The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Premium

Try SBK It is strong enough to kill proper trees, so should work with Elder.

I used it to kill off a Eucalyptus that kept shooting up from the stump.

Never did it afterwards and  the stump is now rotting.

Also killed of some Leylandii that a previous owner had planted  next to the boundary but that had been let go wild.

They also rotted down.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

How right you are!

I have past experience. One self-seeded on my grandmother's grave and it took us years to kill it off. It's now just a dead stump (or rather a cluster of stumps) but, being in a cemetery, makes it difficult to get a digger in to uproot it.

So I know that it will reshoot more than ever but at least I have managed to get it out of the neighbour's way for the time being until the garden contractor can come and kill it off. And down to a height where I can pluck off the new shoots.

There used to be a technique that involved drilling into the stump with a wood-bit, then pouring creosote or used sump oil into the hole. I was shown it by a tree surgeon. The SBK could be applied in the same way.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

There used to be a technique that involved drilling into the stump with a wood-bit, then pouring creosote or used sump oil into the hole. I was shown it by a tree surgeon. The SBK could be applied in the same way.

Yes, that's how we finally killed the one on Gran's grave. Clare took advice from one of her Grounds Team Managers who is also a qualified tree surgeon.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Dave 46 said:

Copper nails work, but they can take some time (3 or 4 years)

Dave

But at least your neighbour doesn’t think your weed killing the bloody things, just he planted them in the wrong position or they got a “disease” ;)

• RMweb Premium

Someone in Australia has got caught out!

Tried to return 150 packets of 32 rolls of toilet paper & 150 1 litre bottles of hand sanitiser, for a refund. Apparently worth $10,000. The supermarket told him to p*ss off, after eBay had already closed down his website!

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/state/sa/2020/04/15/toilet-paper-refund/

• Like 4
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Someone in Australia has got caught out!

Tried to return 150 packets of 32 rolls of toilet paper & 150 1 litre bottles of hand sanitiser, for a refund. Apparently worth $10,000. The supermarket told him to p*ss off, after eBay had already closed down his website!

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/state/sa/2020/04/15/toilet-paper-refund/

Just beat me to it! Schadenfreude, O schadenfreude thou art here.

Edited by 2mm Dabbler
typo

• RMweb Premium

Meanwhile Asda have confirmed today's order.

4 items substituted (one of which is a different type of product and not suitable as a substitute), 10 items unavailable. that's us stuffed.

Every time I order vegetarian items, they get removed.

So much for self isolation, looks like after 4 weeks I'll have to go out shopping again.

What's the point of home delivery if they can't supply so much?

Edited by melmerby
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, melmerby said:

4 items substituted (one of which is a different type of product and not suitable as a substitute), 10 items unavailable. that's us stuffed.

So much for self isolation, looks like after 4 weeks I'll have to go out shopping again.

It must be regional supply chain issues.  The store at Clapham Junction still has occasional shortages but despite also having a decent queue most of the time my colleagues who shop there get what they want.  Which includes vegetarian, vegan and dairy-alternative items.  Flour is usually missing but eggs are readily available.  

There seems to be issues getting almond milk through the system around here though.  Every other alternative is easy to get but this week almond is out of stock everywhere.  It will return.  Maybe the almond-milker is isolating ;) 

• RMweb Premium

All the stuff was available and confirmed, just before cut-off at 10pm last night.

The only "Plant based" product that was listed as available has been removed, they are short of Quorn stuff but I ordered some that was available, that's also gone.

No lettuces. No salmon for Swmbo. No yoghurts for me (I have two a day)

Coffee whitener substituted for dried milk powder (It's nothing like it, it doesn't even contain milk), it can't be used in recipes.

No Kitchen gloves.

I had already had to substitute quite a few items for those showing not available last night.

It's actually worse than my first delivery.

I tried Ocado again but although I have an account won't allow me to shop.

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, alastairq said:

Lidl have Marmite in stock...

Was it panic bought then?

That would have worried me, luckily we’ve not been out shopping for it (or anything) or run out of our always generous stock.......phew!

Edited by boxbrownie

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

We received our ASDA order last week and behold everything we wanted was there.......well apart from the stuff we had ordered and then in the last 48 hrs (the only time you can amend the order) we popped online to add some things and found a lot more not available......so not really everything....hey ho.

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

We received our ASDA order last week and behold everything we wanted was there.......well apart from the stuff we had ordered and then in the last 48 hrs (the only time you can amend the order) we popped online to add some things and found a lot more not available......so not really everything....hey ho.

Our latest Asda order has just arrived on schedule.

Cheerful, helpful van driver, and the few substitutions were sensible and acceptable; (well - I'm not keen on vegetable (as opposed to potato) crisps; but needs must ..... )!

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

There seems to be issues getting almond milk through the system around here though.  Every other alternative is easy to get but this week almond is out of stock everywhere.  It will return.  Maybe the almond-milker is isolating ;) 

Maybe he got fed up putting two whole almonds in every pint of water? :lol:

• Funny 3

An advert for Morrisons Food Boxes just popped up on Facebook for me. Boxes start from £30. https://www.morrisons.com/food-boxes/how-it-works

These are delivered by DPD. So you should get them if you are out of the usual Morrisons delivery area or can't get a slot. I haven't used it, but I thought it might be useful for someone who can't get to the shops.

Edited by Paul.Uni

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Our latest Asda order has just arrived on schedule.

Cheerful, helpful van driver, and the few substitutions were sensible and acceptable; (well - I'm not keen on vegetable (as opposed to potato) crisps; but needs must ..... )!

John Isherwood.

All our delivery drivers (not just the two food deliveries we’ve managed in the past 6 weeks!) have been happy chappies, it’s been quite noticeable actually.

I think the reason we had a lot of OOS issues was we first put the order in about 4 weeks ago and supply was different then I guess, had we not gone online to check the day before to add a few things we would have got a lot less than we did, luckily we were able to make most of our own substitutions.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, melmerby said:

I tried Ocado again but although I have an account won't allow me to shop.

I can't comment on your area but in the London area - specifically SW of London - they are prioritising vulnerable and paying Smart Pass customers.  Do you fall into one of those groups?  If not then the emails I receive suggest that currently they are unlikely to have availability but do release any surplus capacity as and when they can.  They state they are still receiving ten times more requests for deliveries than even their swiftly-enhanced operation can cope with.  Keep trying.  As a Smart Pass customer I currently get a by-pass direct to the website (or occasionally a queue of only 10 - 20 and on the site in seconds) and have managed to get two slots in the last three weeks.  A far cry and showing how much work they have done behind the scenes very quickly considering at one stage the queue was 200,000 long and "over six hours" before you discovered there wasn't a delivery slot available.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I can't comment on your area but in the London area - specifically SW of London - they are prioritising vulnerable and paying Smart Pass customers.  Do you fall into one of those groups?  If not then the emails I receive suggest that currently they are unlikely to have availability but do release any surplus capacity as and when they can.  They state they are still receiving ten times more requests for deliveries than even their swiftly-enhanced operation can cope with.  Keep trying.  As a Smart Pass customer I currently get a by-pass direct to the website (or occasionally a queue of only 10 - 20 and on the site in seconds) and have managed to get two slots in the last three weeks.  A far cry and showing how much work they have done behind the scenes very quickly considering at one stage the queue was 200,000 long and "over six hours" before you discovered there wasn't a delivery slot available.  

I get a message along the same lines, saying that I am not on their priority list and don't have a pass so won't be offered any slots.