The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Gold
On 01/04/2020 at 13:23, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Nothing to report from today's weekly shopping run, everything in stock at Tesco except Alfaz Harrissa, so had to try Tesco's own brand...

I lie, there was something to report. The extra staff taken on to manage the distancing dominated by beauteous young women. Do I suspect they are likely students or temporarily displaced baristas, waiting staff and the like?

You're lucky - all the extra outdoor staff at our local branch seem to be middle aged blokes although the picker cohort does seem to have acquired some young ladies.  And there are no doubt dozens of out of work airline cabin and cockpit crew round here. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm Expecting the fuel prices to return to normal or higher in approximately 11weeks time... If the isolation is lifted... 

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone seen powdered milk or self raising flour? Maybe all the panic-buyers were entering the Great British Bake-off, I doubt it but not been able to buy either for weeks.

Dava

3 hours ago, Reorte said:

... Hopefully it'll eke out until next week.

Our neighbourhood's wives are now organising 'redistribution', using WhatsApp, whatever that may be (my own dear other half appears to be using a different language from me) to cover such supply glitches. Everything from Branston pickle to Yeast has apparently been sorted out over the past week.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 27/03/2020 at 21:40, cctransuk said:

Not entirely surprisingly, the IPA was not delivered on the due date.

I contacted Ebay, who have advised that the seller is no longer registered with them.

Ebay refunded my payment, in full, within half an hour of my raising a case of non-delivery.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I contacted Ebay, who have advised that the seller is no longer registered with them.

Ebay refunded my payment, in full, within half an hour of my raising a case of non-delivery.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I had a very similar experience with ebay; but my refund was applied to a gift card and ebay bucks that I had used for the purchase. Very fast response and settlement.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, there I was hoping to start doing some track-laying, cue an online search for a box of 25 Peco SL-100s from UK retailers and it seems not one to be had for love nor money anywhere! :-(

Panic buying Peco track anyone?!

Seems like there'll be lots of new layouts springing up as a result of the current crisis--and good sales for our model shops and Peco, I'll have to wait!

cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Sainsburys are among other outlets selectively discounting Easter products with some at less than half price today.  Your local outlet may vary.  

Easter, have I missed Easter?  I hope not!

Remembering the day of the week is hard enough (but the bin men came today, which makes it a Thursday).

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, tractionman said:

Well, there I was hoping to start doing some track-laying, cue an online search for a box of 25 Peco SL-100s from UK retailers and it seems not one to be had for love nor money anywhere! :-(

Seems like there'll be lots of new layouts springing up as a result of the current crisis--and good sales for our model shops and Peco, I'll have to wait!

cheers,

Keith

I don't know about new layouts but my old one is advancing  at a huge rate,  normally it might get a couple of hours work on it a week,  now it's getting more than that a day.

One of the reasons I'm self isolating means no easter choccy for me. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, tractionman said:

Peco shut down for the duration iirc so there may well be shortages.

Look out for the spivs with yards of code 75 flatbottom hidden inside the right of their overcoat, and bullhead on the left...  :jester:

14 minutes ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

A week this Sunday, Easter Eggs are the one thing that people haven't been panic-buying it seems!

Edited by Hroth
Sinister, Dexter Sinister, Dexter......
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4

In the DIY store today they were setting up a temporary till in the exit foyer to sell plants. I'm not sure how it is going to work (especially with an unknown number of staff being furloughed next week) but it will be card only.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Paul.Uni said:

In the DIY store today they were setting up a temporary till in the exit foyer to sell plants. I'm not sure how it is going to work (especially with an unknown number of staff being furloughed next week) but it will be card only.

Don't tell your local garden centre !!

This can't be right, can it? Just because the DIY sheds and supermarkets sell plants as sideline, why should they be able to sell when gardens centres are confined to delivery-only?

I know that all these rules were drawn up in a hurry - but that doesn't mean that the obvious anomalies shouldn't be corrected in due course.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Remembering the day of the week is hard enough (but the bin men came today, which makes it a Thursday).

Currently eating one of the large dark chocolate Thorntons eggs panic bought 3 years ago (Bought 9 they were cheap!)

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Don't tell your local garden centre !!

This can't be right, can it? Just because the DIY sheds and supermarkets sell plants as sideline, why should they be able to sell when gardens centres are confined to delivery-only?

I know that all these rules were drawn up in a hurry - but that doesn't mean that the obvious anomalies shouldn't be corrected in due course.

John Isherwood.

I can't find a local garden centre still open for online sales selling plants. Webbs of Wychbold are only selling garden furniture(?)

Local builder's merchants have all closed, not even on line orders, except for existing pre-orders for site delivery.

Surely there could have retained a skeleton staff to do basics?

Looks like B&Q/Screwfix have got it almost all to themselves.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, melmerby said:

I can't find a local garden centre still open for online sales selling plants. Webbs of Wychbold are only selling garden furniture(?)

Local builder's merchants have all closed, not even on line orders, except for existing pre-orders for site delivery.

Surely there could have retained a skeleton staff to do basics?

Looks like B&Q/Screwfix have got it almost all to themselves.

Our local nursery here in Bodmin is offering a (sort of) delivery service.

No website, lists or prices - just e-mail a wishlist, and he'll get back to you when he works his way down the list to you.

Better than nothing, and he reckons his delivery driver is run off his feet !!

Strange times.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

The Seagulls are social distancing on the Wirral.

Apart from the pair on the left, who seem to want to live dangerously!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The local nursery here seems to have got itself into a major tangle over online ordering and delivery according to our neighbours who have been trying hard to buy plants.  Fortunately our daughter thought ahead and got in the grow bags and compost for us just before the lock down - all carefully stacked away out of sight round the back.  

And no flour in our Waitrose this morning so I presume Mary Berry has bought it all because in an R4 interview yesterday she was on about baking as a way of avoiding going stir crazy.  But Waitrose had everything else the memsahib had on her shopping list so I've now got some pickled onions again after the empty shelf at Tesco left me disappointed on Monday.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If you are able to buy plants without unduly endangering anyone, then you should do so (assuming, of course, that you would have done anyway) - there was an article on the BBC the other day about how the growers are really struggling, as their stock will be worthless in a couple of months time. 

• Agree 2