The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Same goes for toilet rolls.  Maximum of two items per customer.  So you can have two 2-packs or two 24-packs.  Hmmmm ..... 

Of course it is possible the demand for 2-packs and 24-packs come from a different customer base. A person living alone on a limited budget might well want to purchase a 2-pack, but have no need, or money, for a 24-pack. So if someone with the finance purchased all the 2-packs, then a person on limited budget might have a problem,

cheers

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

The rules on multiple purchases are a tad confusing locally.

I bought seven loose carrots but had to relinquish three of them at the checkout as the maximum number allowed is four, but I could have had two packs of ready bagged carrots, each containing considerably more than seven, but I didn't want a full bag, just enough to manage with so as not to panic buy and leave others short.

Logic goes out of the window in a crisis!

Mike.

Mike.

Same with the essential cider purchase I mentioned a few days ago..

I could not buy several 4 packs, so I bought two crates.

I have since rpeated this action.

SO if you like cider, you know where to come :D

I defend this particular type of panic buying cos it keeps cider out of the hands of Northerners who do not appreciate that it is stronger, by a long way, than the rubbish they call ale and throw down their necks as and when required... ;)

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I did discover today, that hand sanitizer is available in small quantities online, so I bought some. It’s one of those items you don’t need any large amount of, so we should be set for the foreseeable future. 

Quite a number of Australian breweries and wine makers, have changed their production lines and are now making sanitiser.

One winery used up their stock of grapes that were unsuitable for making wine (about 15% apparently). That has now gone, so they are now opening bottles of wine, intended for the Chinese market, which has now stopped anyway.

They are now producing it 24/7 and selling it at the gate.

• Informative/Useful 2

3 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Quite a number of Australian breweries and wine makers, have changed their production lines and are now making sanitiser.

One winery used up their stock of grapes that were unsuitable for making wine (about 15% apparently). That has now gone, so they are now opening bottles of wine, intended for the Chinese market, which has now stopped anyway.

They are now producing it 24/7 and selling it at the gate.

For many years, if you produced above the limit per Hectare in Appelation Controlé vineyards in France, the surplus was taken by the government to be distilled for Surgical Spirits. I can think of a few wines I've drunk over the years that could only be improved by this.

• Like 5
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

For many years, if you produced above the limit per Hectare in Appelation Controlé vineyards in France, the surplus was taken by the government to be distilled for Surgical Spirits. I can think of a few wines I've drunk over the years that could only be improved by this.

Taken by or paid for?

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Dava said:

Panic-bought perishables are starting to crop up in domestic bins in some quantity, will be lots more next week.

This waste of food is wrong on so many levels. Greed, fear, uncertainty and sheer bloody stupidity and selfishness.

Dava

As the bins are identifiable then I hope someone is at least naming and shaming them on the various social media platforms.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, LBRJ said:

Same with the essential cider purchase I mentioned a few days ago..

I could not buy several 4 packs, so I bought two crates.

I have since rpeated this action.

SO if you like cider, you know where to come :D

I defend this particular type of panic buying cos it keeps cider out of the hands of Northerners who do not appreciate that it is stronger, by a long way, than the rubbish they call ale and throw down their necks as and when required... ;)

You are quite welcome to keep all your fizzy Apple juice, it's a waste of good apples that could otherwise make apple pies!

One advantage of being marooned in Essex is the constant availability of a good selection of porter on the local shop shelves, the locals being far more interested in emptying the relevant lagerpiss stocks!

Mike.

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

9 hours ago, Dava said:

Panic-bought perishables are starting to crop up in domestic bins in some quantity, will be lots more next week.

This waste of food is wrong on so many levels. Greed, fear, uncertainty and sheer bloody stupidity and selfishness.

Dava

We waste very little in our household, I feel bad to throw anything away. Consequently I'm a bit of a human dustbin. Mrs Rivercider is occasionally  horrified when I consume something found at the back of the cupboard, its done me no harm so far!

cheers

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

7 minutes ago, Rivercider said:

We waste very little in our household, I feel bad to throw anything away. Consequently I'm a bit of a human dustbin. Mrs Rivercider is occasionally  horrified when I consume something found at the back of the cupboard, its done me no harm so far!

cheers

I’m rather hoping to implement a sea-change in my good wife’s obsessive interest in best-by dates, but no progress yet. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 minute ago, rockershovel said:

I’m rather hoping to implement a sea-change in my good wife’s obsessive interest in best-by dates, but no progress yet. 

The best way to gauge whether something is still ok is sniffing it and looking at the colour. The use by date is really just a legal disclaimer by the manufacturer that if you eat the product past that date and get ill you have no legal recourse.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Dava said:

Dava

If only (social) media could post soup recipes instead of the misleading information relating to panic buying.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

I went on a tour of a UK vineyard a couple of years ago, and they told us that if they produced more wine than their statutory limit, they were instructed to pour the excess down the drain. I'm not sure that is precisely where the excess ended up, but they insisted they could only sell their strict allocation. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Pasta seems to have completely disappeared from the Peterborough area. Haven’t seen it restocked anywhere since the first, Gadarene rush. My good wife DID manage to include it in her Tesco online shop. 

This doesn’t trouble me unduly, as it means that production of the sloppy, tomato-flavoured mess she produces under the euphemism of “spag Bol” has been suspended indefinitely - hooray! I’ve never encountered the inclusion of cubes of much-boiled carrot in such a dish anywhere else..... disgusting...

Don't take this the wrong way, but have you considered cooking a "spag bol" yourself under the guise of treating your wife to a day off from cooking?

I can empathise though having once shared an apartment with someone who could take exactly the same ingredients as I used for pasta with raghu and use them to produce a pile of brown mince and lumps of onion decorated with tomato splodges and served on top of soggy spaghetti.

Edited by teaky
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

:offtopic:

"Spag Bol" is one of those curious English inventions that pretends to come from elsewhere* and thus suffers from considerable variation as nobody is sure exactly what an 'authentic' one should contain.

*I understand that in Italy itself there is no such dish.

Quite agree it shouldn't have carrot in it though - my take is mushrooms, peppers and onion (and obviously tomatoes) are the only veg which should be present in the dish.

Quite right Phil. Just those, and of course, the mince. The pasta should be 'dente', which means it should be firm, but not soggy. Sometimes I'll cook off some egg pasta, add salt, pepper, and a drop of olive oil. It hardly ever makes it to the dinner table. Yum-Yum!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, teaky said:

Don't take this the wrong way, but have you considered cooking a "spag bol" yourself under the guise of treating your wife to a day off from cooking?

I can empathise though having once shared an apartment with someone who could take exactly the same ingredients as I used for pasta with raghu and use them to produce a pile of brown mince and lumps of onion decorated with tomato splodges and served on top of soggy spaghetti.

Have you ever tried St. Delia Smith's spag. bol. recipe?

It includes chicken livers, which completely break down and thicken the sauce.

Talk about unctious - Mmmmmm!

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, teaky said:

On the whole, she is quite a good cook. However, she was trained in that school, by which ALL vegetables should be boiled until they are yellow, if not grey, before serving.... still, it was good training for working in the FSU...

I do quite a lot of the cooking, when I have time, although my notions of vegetable preparation tend towards “al denote” so I give her vegetables a quick buzz in the microwave to ruin them, while dishing up.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

As I understand 'Ragu', it derives from 'cucina povera', the poor kitchen. (Someone better versed in Italian can correct if necessary). The way my late aunt (nee Lamberti which might give some clue to where in Europe she originated) taught me was to make a sofrito by frying gently in a little olive oil some chopped streaky bacon (pancetta if you have it) then adding finely chopped onion, grated celery and grated carrot, fry until all soft. Remove from pan, and fry your mince to well brown it, restore sofrito to the mix, add tomato puree, couple of cloves of garlic, bay leaves, add liquid - stock, wine, water if you have nothing else - to make the right consistency and leave to stew for hours (according to how low grade the mince was!) until all the ingredients have made a smooth thick sauce for the mince with no other identifiable pieces in it. And you are free to adapt to the ingredients you may happen to have available. (Personally I always enhance the sofrito with smoked bacon and grated mushroom). And ideally serve with flat noodle, such as tagliatelle. It always tasted fabulous.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

As I understand 'Ragu', it derives from 'cucina povera', the poor kitchen. (Someone better versed in Italian can correct if necessary). The way my late aunt (nee Lamberti which might give some clue to where in Europe she originated) taught me was to make a sofrito by frying gently in a little olive oil some chopped streaky bacon (pancetta if you have it) then adding finely chopped onion, grated celery and grated carrot, fry until all soft. Remove from pan, and fry your mince to well brown it, restore sofrito to the mix, add tomato puree, couple of cloves of garlic, bay leaves, add liquid - stock, wine, water if you have nothing else - to make the right consistency and leave to stew for hours (according to how low grade the mince was!) until all the ingredients have made a smooth thick sauce for the mince with no other identifiable pieces in it. And you are free to adapt to the ingredients you may happen to have available. (Personally I always enhance the sofrito with smoked bacon and grated mushroom). And ideally serve with flat noodle, such as tagliatelle. It always tasted fabulous.

It's 11:38 am, and now I'm bl**dy hungry because of this cookery stuff.... 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4