The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

9 minutes ago, Reorte said:

How concentrated is it? Too concentrated isn't effective, needs to be 70% to be at its most effective, whereas when it's sold for electronics cleaning it's more likely to be 99% (which is more effective at cleaning electronics).

Better than nothing though.

I think part of the blame has to be laid at the governments door. When they told over 70s that they would be required to self isolate in their homes for 12 weeks, (prior to the more general lockdown) they never seemed to consider how all those millions of elderly would be supplied with groceries for a period of 3 months. 

Now, at least those registered as most in need can get priority, but that still leaves many millions who are supposed to be staying at home, but don't count as needy because they are not considered to be disabled or have other medical conditions. Many could probably shuffle down to the shops (but have been told to stay at home for 12 weeks), and a percentage of those might be able to queue for an hour in a cold wind. How many of those would be able to do their shopping and carry much of it home is debatable. 

The government seems to have abandoned these relatively healthy old people who used to rely on home deliveries (or get to the supermarket in their car) because their varying lack of mobility might not be medically certifiable, but it is relatively restrictive. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

The government seems to have abandoned these relatively healthy old people

In a fast-moving global situation any advice or requirement is going to have loopholes and gaps.  I am aware that farmers tending livestock are being stopped and challenged by police as to whether their journey is essential - of course it is but a redeployed city officer might not be fully aware of that need and there is nothing to exempt farmers (as one example) from movement advice and the limit of two together.

Many older people will have access to a local shop and most of those seem to be able to supply essentials.  Of those unable or unwilling to go out at all they are likely to already have a support network; day centres and care staff will be aware of them as would family even of the latter are at some distance and may not be able to travel to assist.  

There is always a way.  

Some businesses are adapting fast to changed circumstances.  Our pick-up-and-return dry cleaner, unable to operate as such for now, has emailed all their clients offering delivery of basic groceries instead.  We took advantage; yesterday evening we received two large boxes of goods for £26 plus £4 delivery the value of which would be at least £40 - £45 at a major supermarket.  Milk, rice, pasta, fresh fruit and veg, bread and a tray of eggs (30) when we expected maybe 6 or 12.  Excellent value and service and delivered in a manner consistent with present advice.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Butler Henderson said:

... the elderly and venerable first hour ...

I wonder ... would that be elderly customers and venerable ones, or just the very few who might be both elderly and venerable?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, spikey said:

I wonder ... would that be elderly customers and venerable ones, or just the very few who might be both elderly and venerable?

I'm coming to the conclusion* that all elderly people should be venerable.

* Just preparing for when I'm old enough...  :whistle:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hroth said:

I'm coming to the conclusion* that all elderly people should be venerable.

I'll vote for that.  Until such time though I'll gladly settle for being elderly but not vulnerable.

BTW, am I right in assuming that, in the UK and in this context, "elderly" means aged 70 or over?

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 57xx said:

Really, where have they been increasing prices to profit from the unprecedented demand from idiotic panic buyers?

If you want examples of profiteering, you need to look at the medical supply companies who have marked up their ventilators by 400%. THAT is profiteering/price gouging in a global crisis.

[Source]

My wife went out to the local Coop on Thursday for our weekly shop.  She found that a number of items had gone up significantly in price or that only the more expensive brands were on the shelves (soap and laundry products being the most obvious). I  rather doubt that the Coop are deliberately profiteering but their suppliers may be.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Called in the local Co-op while passing, about 5pm. No smoked cod or haddock, but plenty of farmed salmon so I bought some of that. No bread, pasta or rice. 

No 1 Son rang with news of Tesco having delivery slots, my good wife sprang to her iPad and we now have a delivery next weekend. No four-packs of baked beans, but individual tins available. Ocado contacted her by email to advise that they would allocate her a slot as a “favoured customer” but we haven’t heard from them yet. 

Pasta is no problem if you know where to shop ;) :rolleyes:  But it was mentioned on R4 today so you might have to rush. (how do you think I heard about it?)

https://www.annsummers.com/gifts-games/gifts-games-shop-by-category/gifts-games-novelty/-pasta/31733.html

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium
On 27/03/2020 at 13:30, Colin said:

I read in my paper today that Big Yellow Storage have experienced a big jump in demand for units. I suppose all the idiot hoarders are looking to find somewhere to put their bog rolls and pasta packs now!

It seems Costco in the USA are refusing refunds on certain items, including bog roll....

19 hours ago, Kris said:

I went to my local Tesco this morning arriving at 8am (aiming to be out before the 9am old persons hour started). The queue went round the carpark, down the path and out to the road. They were only letting 50 people into the store at a time, which equates to about 1 person per isle. I managed to get into the shop at 9.05, it was a little chilly queuing for that long. It was really strange in the shop and when I got to the tills I had the choice of 6 or 7 with no one at them (except the staff).  I got everything I went for except flour. Shouldn't need to go again for a fortnight, but will need to pop somewhere and get milk in a weeks time.

We are fortunate in one respect that spring and summer are on their way.  Queues of 70+ in Winter & rain wouldn't be funny

• Agree 3

From Monday our store will be opening at 08.00 (instead of 06.00). This will enable the night shelf stackers to get finished and clear, and give the home shopping pickers more time and space to get the picks done before customers enter the store.

In store this morning was another pretty calm shift. Stock levels have increased again, and are nearly back to normal on many lines. It is clear that many customers are unfamiliar with the store judging by the number of questions I was asked.

I also understand the number limit of shoppers in the store (1 out, 1 in) will be increased next week (in line with official guidance). Hopefully with common sense and courtesy on all sides, and we all keep our distance, it should work ok.

cheers 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

I think part of the blame has to be laid at the governments door. When they told over 70s that they would be required to self isolate in their homes for 12 weeks, (prior to the more general lockdown) they never seemed to consider how all those millions of elderly would be supplied with groceries for a period of 3 months. 

Now, at least those registered as most in need can get priority, but that still leaves many millions who are supposed to be staying at home, but don't count as needy because they are not considered to be disabled or have other medical conditions. Many could probably shuffle down to the shops (but have been told to stay at home for 12 weeks), and a percentage of those might be able to queue for an hour in a cold wind. How many of those would be able to do their shopping and carry much of it home is debatable. 

The government seems to have abandoned these relatively healthy old people who used to rely on home deliveries (or get to the supermarket in their car) because their varying lack of mobility might not be medically certifiable, but it is relatively restrictive. 

This is an area of considerable confusion and listening to a programme on the BBC a couple of days back I was even more confused when they kept on saying those over 70 are all having to stay at home.  If you look at the official advice from HMG that is not correct - there are basically no real differences for those over 70 from any other general group except we are advised to exercise greater care in social distancing.  There is a separate category of people, of all ages, who have been told in writing to stay at home for 12 weeks in consequence of their medical condition (I believe there will, at some stage some sort of official arrangement to supply basic foodstuffs to this group).

But, I repeat, there is no formal instruction from HMG for those of us over 70 to stay at home for 12 weeks.  it was mentioned as a possibility a few weeks back but that was all.  Here is the official advice (although no doubt many others are, like me, being far more careful in terms of keeping out of social contact)  -

ttps://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for-vulnerable-people/guidance-on-social-distancing-for-everyone-in-the-uk-and-protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Some businesses are adapting fast to changed circumstances.  Our pick-up-and-return dry cleaner, unable to operate as such for now, has emailed all their clients offering delivery of basic groceries instead.  We took advantage; yesterday evening we received two large boxes of goods for £26 plus £4 delivery the value of which would be at least £40 - £45 at a major supermarket.  Milk, rice, pasta, fresh fruit and veg, bread and a tray of eggs (30) when we expected maybe 6 or 12.  Excellent value and service and delivered in a manner consistent with present advice.  

I have seen that due to the effective closure of the hospitality sector, there are LOTS of wholesalers stuck with catering supplies which would have gone to cafes, restaurants, etc. Rather than let them go to waste (and of course lose loads of money) many are seeking alternative ways of shifting them, with new websites and delivery operations being set up.

So if you cannot get a online delivery from a Supermarket do a bit of research as there are indeed alternatives out there ready and waiting for your custom.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52066764

https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/restaurants/detox-kitchen-closed-food-boxes-ingredients-supplier-coronavirus-a4392181.html

https://www.bidfood.co.uk/home-consumer/

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Chrisr40 said:

Not a bog roll panic buyer apparently

While, I would never be that gross, a few weeks ago just as loo paper became very difficult to get hold of I was chatting to my sister and she observed that if the worst came to the worst, then options involving the shower did exist when it came to going to the toilet. Granted not particularly nice, but far less threatening than not having food in the survival stakes. Hence our joint frustration with the mass toilet paper hoarding....