The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Nah !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Litres-DICHLOROMETHANE-SOLVENT-METHYLENE-CHLORIDE-Actual-Cheapest/323225616825?hash=item4b41bf81b9:g:w2AAAOSwBAxahZMJ

This is how I buy mine - exactly the same stuff and a fraction of the price of the little bottles.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I have a few kits to build, but not that many...................

You must have one hell of a kit stash.

:)

Edited by newbryford
  • Funny 2

9 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

First hand experience was quoted my second previous posting- the store staff were acting like they were immune and I got out of place as quickly as I safely could,

Sorry, my reply was abrupt.

Let me first say I speak with absolutely no authority whatsoever, I am a very small cog in a very large machine. To mix metaphores I am on the bottom rung, with no desire to climb the ladder.

Over the last 10 days or so many changes have taken place in the store where I work, it seems each time I come on duty more shortages or additional prevention measures have taken place. We have been briefed about the risks, and staff I work with are taking them seriously. I feel sure that if additional changes are requested/demanded they  will be made.

At work today I felt reasonably safe, I am fit and healthy, but am aware of the risks.

I hope and intend to keep working during the next weeks/months.

My earlier post was intended as a reassurance, stock levels on the shelves are picking up, and we had more out in the warehouse.

We can get through this - together,

cheers - keep safe

cheers 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

29 minutes ago, Kris said:

I went to my local Tesco this morning arriving at 8am (aiming to be out before the 9am old persons hour started). The queue went round the carpark, down the path and out to the road. They were only letting 50 people into the store at a time, which equates to about 1 person per isle. I managed to get into the shop at 9.05, it was a little chilly queuing for that long. It was really strange in the shop and when I got to the tills I had the choice of 6 or 7 with no one at them (except the staff).  I got everything I went for except flour. Shouldn't need to go again for a fortnight, but will need to pop somewhere and get milk in a weeks time.

That would seem to be much like my store.

I have fielded many more  questions in the last two weeks, many customers are clearly not familiar with the store. However most folk seemed grateful/resolute/cheerful, which makes  me start to feel a little optimistic for the future.

cheers

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

On the subject of supermarkets and one-way it seems to be happening where possible; Tesco near me had it set up at the main doors, with hand sanitiser and wipes for baskets and trolleys on the way in. So unless people are sneezing and coughing over the shelves (sadly can't rule that out) it should be reasonably OK, or at least as OK as you can practically make it. The aisles not being one way meant people were having to pass a little under 2 m from time to time (otherwise you'd have literal gridlock) but it seemed to be getting done with a quick dash.

Thought the contactless limit had temporarily increased but the guy on the till didn't know about it.

I can see myself running out of milk soon, should've bought some and frozen it and I don't really want to go out just for a pint of milk. Suppose I could ditch the breakfast cereal for a while.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Reorte said:

I can see myself running out of milk soon, should've bought some and frozen it and I don't really want to go out just for a pint of milk. Suppose I could ditch the breakfast cereal for a while.

Try some of the small local shops rather than the supermarkets if it's just milk. You might pay a little more but it will be much quicker. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Kris said:

Try some of the small local shops rather than the supermarkets if it's just milk. You might pay a little more but it will be much quicker. 

I'll be able to get it, I just feel like I shouldn't be popping out just for milk at all.

• Like 2

Called in the local Co-op while passing, about 5pm. No smoked cod or haddock, but plenty of farmed salmon so I bought some of that. No bread, pasta or rice. 

No 1 Son rang with news of Tesco having delivery slots, my good wife sprang to her iPad and we now have a delivery next weekend. No four-packs of baked beans, but individual tins available. Ocado contacted her by email to advise that they would allocate her a slot as a “favoured customer” but we haven’t heard from them yet. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

Called in the local Co-op while passing, about 5pm. No smoked cod or haddock, but plenty of farmed salmon so I bought some of that. No bread, pasta or rice. 

No 1 Son rang with news of Tesco having delivery slots, my good wife sprang to her iPad and we now have a delivery next weekend. No four-packs of baked beans, but individual tins available. Ocado contacted her by email to advise that they would allocate her a slot as a “favoured customer” but we haven’t heard from them yet. 

I wonder how you achieve 'favoured customer' status? Any clues you might care to divulge? 

I decamped to Iceland online, because Ocado queuing is now a joke (you are in a queue of 357,865)  and they had pasta. However there were delivery slots when I started, but they had all gone by the time I checked out. I thought I had booked before I started, but that seemed to vanish once I started adding items to my basket. I will try tomorrow morning. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I wonder how many households have multiple emails in these online queues

My local Tesco was quiet yesterday. No queue to get in. I chatted at a safe distance with a member of staff that is one of my daughter's friends. She said it quieter than before CV. And was almost back to normal with only a few gaps in the shelves.

Give it a few days.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Reorte said:

I'll be able to get it, I just feel like I shouldn't be popping out just for milk at all.

Don't know how much you get through, but it freezes OK if you have the chance to reduce your sorties by buying several.

Secret to defrosting is to put it in a saucepan of warm water. Much better than leaving it out on the worksurface or putting in the microwave at low setting.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Went out today:

Aldi #1 :      Queue yay long (up the long side of the building and around)

Aldi #2:       No queue at all

Morrisons: Queue of 2 people when I joined

Fair stocks of most things, none had one Item I wanted but I got other stuff.

16 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Don't know how much you get through, but it freezes OK

I've three 2pt bottles in the freezer, When defrosting, another secret is to shake it occasionally to promote circulation and mixing of the fat globules.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rockershovel said:

Tesco no longer stock the plastic wrapped 4 packs of beans, to reduce single use plastic,

cheers

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

23 minutes ago, Rivercider said:

Tesco no longer stock the plastic wrapped 4 packs of beans, to reduce single use plastic,

cheers

I thought they had just done that to annoy the Home Delivery drivers when the punters take so long to fish each tin out of the basket  one by one ;)

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, newbryford said:

I have a few kits to build, but not that many...................

You must have one hell of a kit stash.

:)

It's a very useful solvent / degreaser for all kinds of things - and at that price .......

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

It's a very useful solvent / degreaser for all kinds of things - and at that price .......

Regards,

Iohn Isherwood.

Cheaper than the current ripping off for IPA...................

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jonny777 said:

I decamped to Iceland online, because Ocado queuing is now a joke (you are in a queue of 357,865)  and they had pasta. However there were delivery slots when I started, but they had all gone by the time I checked out. I thought I had booked before I started, but that seemed to vanish once I started adding items to my basket. I will try tomorrow morning. 

I registered with Ocado some days ago but a couple of days later got an e-mail saying they wouldn't serve new customers.

So why did they let me register?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Don't know how much you get through, but it freezes OK if you have the chance to reduce your sorties by buying several.

Secret to defrosting is to put it in a saucepan of warm water. Much better than leaving it out on the worksurface or putting in the microwave at low setting.

Used to do that when we had a guest house to make sure we always had some in stock.

Skimmed - Fine

Semi Skimmed - OK

Full fat - waste of time it always separated whatever you did.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Cheaper than the current ripping off for IPA...................

Try this .....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-litre-Isopropyl-Alcohol-Isopropanol-99-9-Cleaning-Multipurpose-5L/114154542678?hash=item1a94241656:g:TMsAAOSwPf1ebQKd

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, cctransuk said:

Some of these cheap IPA deals seem suspect. (see feedback - there are similar others)

As I only use about 5litres per 3 years, I still have over 2.5 years to go.

• RMweb Premium
Just now, newbryford said:

Some of these cheap IPA deals seem suspect. (see feedback - there are similar others)

As I only use about 5litres per 3 years, I still have over 2.5 years to go.

I've used these suppliers before, and have just re-ordered; I recalled that my IPA container is getting low.

Nothing to lose - if they don't deliver, Paypal will refund me.

We'll see !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

17 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I registered with Ocado some days ago but a couple of days later got an e-mail saying they wouldn't serve new customers.

So why did they let me register?

I would guess they let you register cos they like to have ever more names and details on their database......

• Agree 5