The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Gold
Just now, sharris said:

I think our group started as an offshoot of the local area Facebook citizens group 

It almost pains me to say it, but Facebook does seem to be coming into a new usefulness with such online groups and community initiatives. So much better than detailing what you had for breakfast and your headache is better today, thanks. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

It almost pains me to say it, but Facebook does seem to be coming into a new usefulness with such online groups and community initiatives. So much better than detailing what you had for breakfast and your headache is better today, thanks. 

A double-edged sword.  Facebook - and indeed other social media platforms - are coming into their own for the creation of support groups.  I have a small one going among staff not least because we have several different employers but still operate the concept of "one railway".  

But these same social media platforms are open slather for anyone to promulgate any form of hype, misinformation and even accurate information which might lead to unintended consequences such as showing empty shelves having induced global panic buying.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

33 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I wonder whether the problem with delivery slots is to do where the stores are situated?

If I order from Ocado, the delivery comes from either Crawley or Salisbury to near Bognor Regis!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jonny777 said:

I just had my Ocado home delivery, edited yesterday afternoon. 

Only three missing items; tin of spam, bag of plain flour, chicken korma. My small tub of Flora was substituted for another sunflower spread, so I can't complain at all. I didn't order any more than I would in a normal week. 

The Ocado queue might look horrendous, but I was moving along it at about 400 places a minute yesterday. 

My eldest son managed to get an Asda slot booked yesterday, and said there were quite a few available then. I think that patience is the key with these things. 

Corner shops seem good for a few basics. 

I'm amazed that your supermarket chains haven't stepped in and cancelled delivery & pick up services, except to those like Melmerby who desperately need it.

In Australia the major supermarkets say this.

Service update. Due to significant item shortages our Pick up service is unavailable until further notice. If you place a delivery order you will have a high level of out of stocks, especially if they are pantry or cleaning items. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

And

Service update. We’re sorry that we have temporarily paused our Delivery Now service until further notice due to significant item shortages. We apologise for this change and appreciate your patience and understanding during this time.

If they won't voluntarily do so, then it's time your useless PM forced them too! How good is Brexit now? That's the problem with electing people with only one policy. 

The US and Australia have similar idiots in charge.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, midlands said:

Exactly my problem...and again I see no way out but break curfew and visit the local supermarkets unfortuately.

If you have a farm shop in your area,you might try them if you are mobile i.e.fit and able  to drive.We have just driven to our nearest which is a 20 minute or so drive. Own farm with butchery ( rearing Longhorns being their speciality ),fresh veg,milk,eggs etc. Only one in shop at a time,hand sanitiser outside,card machine disinfected. Will deliver to health workers,elderly ,police etc. Take online orders for outside collection at farm shop.Yes it does cost more but can you put a price on hygiene and good fresh produce.?

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Well it seems (according to a sensible friend at work - unconfirmed) that there have now been instances of NHS workers having their i.d. passes stolen from around their necks, presumably in an attempt to gain an advantage when shopping etc.  So if you, or anyone you know, works for the NHS, hide your pass when not required to display it.

edit:  Confirmed - a friend's daughter is a Nurse at Lister Hospital, Stevenage - she was told yesterday

So B&Q etc. can remain open.  So all those husbands hoping to use this as a get out clause for not spending the next six months decorating have just been shafted.  It would make more sense if only certain items could be sold, and the rest fenced off.  Forget new kitchens, wallpaper, etc. etc.?

Well it seems I'm still lined up for being an essential working (very doubtful in my book, at least in my role) so no escape for me.  I currently have 16.5 days + 1hr 56 mins to go before early retirement; the phrase "Gardening Leave" has been mentioned by my line manager to the powers-that-be, though I suspect that would be out of the question to the grown ups.  Here's hoping.

I note that Garden Centres are not on the list of places that can stay open - that'll p!ss off a few, no doubt.

I've just cancelled all my ebay listings (none had bids on) for the foreseeable - no point risking the P.O. if I don't need to.  I just hope the cancelled listings stay available on Ebay for sufficiently long to enable me to start them up again.  They took me f.ages to create in the first place.

Edited by polybear
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Maybe there should be an order of priority with home deliveries.

Possibly:

1. Health Workers

2. Vunerable due to underlying health (younger people with severe Asthma or Emphysema etc are more vunerable than older people who are healthy, an 18yr old with underlying health problems has succombed in the UK)

3. Vunerable because of age & other key workers

4. Everybody else.

Also delivery charges should be revised as some poorer vunerable souls will find the extra expenditure required for HD a strain on finances.

Is this realistic?

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, JohnDMJ said:

If I order from Ocado, the delivery comes from either Crawley or Salisbury to near Bognor Regis!

That's because they are purely a warehouse-based operation, using a 'hub and spokes' distribution network (and a robotised warehose near Andover.

Those retailers who have a 'High Street' operation either fulfil their orders from the same shelves as the customers (with predictable results), or have a 'Black Shop' set-up, where they have what is effectively a shop, just not open to the public. Down here, Tesco seem to do the former, whilst Sainsbury's seem to have something in the Ashford area. Our grocery order has come from Ashford, despite Sainsbury's having two closer shops in Folkestone.

46 minutes ago, polybear said:

I note that Garden Centres are not on the list of places that can stay open - that'll p!ss off a few, no doubt.

Does that to me....local garden centre [surely they are hardware stores as well?] is also only outlet to general public for Bradshaw's flour.

Excellent for bread making.

Luckily I purchased 28 kilos of flour last week....sure surprised the Ex when I dropped it on her hall carpet.

I worked an additional shift in my store this morning. It was quieter than Monday, which was itself quieter than Sunday. Quite a few folk now wearing face masks of various descriptions.

We are reminded to practice social distancing from customers and our colleagues, which was ok today with the number of people in the store. There are taped 'exclusion' zones by the checkouts and customer service desk. Again stock levels are patchy, but we did have toilet rolls whoopee! Oh, and there is still plenty of iceberg!

We have a number of staff now self-isolating for 12 weeks, (my section 2 out of 8 now off), but also have a number of temporary new recruits, including several former airline industry emplolyees. 

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
correction
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Possibly:

1. Health Workers

2. Vunerable due to underlying health (younger people with severe Asthma or Emphysema etc are more vunerable than older people who are healthy, an 18yr old with underlying health problems has succombed in the UK)

4. Everybody else.

Also delivery charges should be revised as some poorer vunerable souls will find the extra expenditure required for HD a strain on finances.

Is this realistic?

Icelands started to do slots for the vunerable only, your asked to tick a box if vunerable then time slots appear not previously shown, however, no proof is asked for so quite how that can be policed is anybodys guess, plus its wide open to abuse as is the "only 2 items per shopper"  in store peramater, where whole familys shop, each memberhaving a basket and pretending not to know each other...lol, you really couldntmake that up.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Rivercider said:

I worked an additional shift in my store this morning. It was quieter than Monday, which was itself quieter than Sunday. Quite a few folk now wearing face masks of various descriptions.

We are reminded to practice social distancing from customers and our colleagues, which was ok today with the number of people in the store. There are taped 'exclusion' zones by the checkouts and customer service desk. Again stock levels are patchy, but we did have toilet rolls whoopee! Oh, and there is still plenty of iceberg!

We have a number of staff now self-isolating for 12 weeks, (my section 2 out of 8 now off), but also have a number of temporary new recruits, including several former air-hostesses. 

cheers

I always wonder about those going around with masks on.

Are they wearing them because they want to keep themselves safe from infections, or do they have the virus and are trying to not give it to you and I?

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Possibly:

1. Health Workers

4. Everybody else.

Is this realistic?

Whilst it's fine on paper, it begs the question of how is it policed. It would become the norm to have a second person on the van, as a lone driver would be at risk of 'anti-social behaviour' either from disaffected customers, or from the local 'yoof'. I had my own home-delivery service in Tyneside and Northumberland for about five years, and there were some areas I would not deliver to. The person who took the business over from me ended up in hospital after a few weeks, as he didn't listen to my advice.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

I always wonder about those going around with masks on.

Are they wearing them because they want to keep themselves safe from infections, or do they have the virus and are trying to not give it to you and I?

Or might have it. If they know they have it they shouldn't be out at all.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Hmm. I might be in trouble with the other half. I have just had a large parcel delivered and have had to confess, I have been panic buying... 

1x 3d printer.

2x kg of filament. 

Can't be stuck at home with nothing to do. 

• Like 5
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks like it may be panic buy time in the model Railway world now as this announcement today from Hattons seems to suggest that they are trying to organise a hobby wide shut down, fourth paragraph...

FB_IMG_1585065143173.jpg.75d202bd787f5587bbf856b6d080055c.jpg

Edited by John M Upton

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Looks like it may be panic buy time in the model Railway world now as this announcement today from Hattons seems to suggest that they are trying to organise a hobby wide shut down, fourth paragraph...

Paragraph four translation;

If we're not selling you're not picking up our customers.

Mike.

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

Given the Hattons vs Bachmann debacle recently, why not look a little closer to home, John?

18 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

No, do not get into any panic buying or stirring any panic here. Please do not assume a likelihood of this universally happening.

• Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

Given the Hattons vs Bachmann debacle recently, why not look a little closer to home, John?

Indeed!  I haven't bought anything from Hattons for a while since the Bachmann debacle, I am concerned about what appears to be an attempt by a big player in the hobby to shut down everyone else.

Worrying ...

• Agree 12