The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Paracetamol and other pills have been auto restricted to two items for years. Try to add a third and it just doesn't work, plus comes up 'maximum exceeded' or some such. Why can't they just program this restriction to every single item on the site? Couple that with another bit of software which restricts customers to one delivery slot per week, and I reckon their problems would mostly go away. 

Because such a modification of the POS software, particularly the role out to every till in every store would take time + resources that could be better spent on other things.

When the grocery sector is already under pressure the last thing it needs is fiddling with IT systems and the potential for it to go horribly wrong with stores unable to sell stuff just when demand is at its highest.

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, bourneagain said:

This NHS Staff shopping happy hour is a complete joke and publicly stunt.

This morning my Son-in-Law who is a Paramedic went to his local Tesco Extra for the priory shopping hour only to find that he couldn`t even access the car park and that was an hour before they opened. He returned home empty handed!

He did expect, knowing the situation on previous recent occasions he tried to shop there, that the car park would be full. But he hoped that Tesco would have recognised that fact and had somebody at the car park entrance to turn away any vehicles that did not contain any NHS Staff, until such time the NHS happy hour was coming to an end. How does Tesco expect the NHS Staff to get their shopping done, when they can`t even access the car park?  I wouldn`t be surprised if many of the other well known supermarkets have the same problem with this car parking problem, until they do something to resolve it the NHS Staff will continue to suffer.  

(i) Tesco only have so many staff - and from what I saw at my local this morning they were all engaged in the store.

(ii) The NHS employs an awful lot of people - if they have been struggling to get the items they need so far, when one particular company announces a 'NHS staff only hour' then it could easily find the policy becoming a victim of its own success.

(ii) It had probably not occurred to Tesco that they would run into parking problems - though much will depend on the actual size of the store car park. When I pulled into the car park of my local one just after 10:00 there weren't many spaces left (you had to hunt for them).

So lets see what happens next week shall we? Now that Tesco has some idea of the popularity of the measure its quite possible changes will be made, although it does beg the question that even if you did stop non NHS staff from accessing the car park till 10:00 it still might not prevent all spaces being taken by the sheer volume of NHS staff.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Rather than attack shops like Tesco and claiming their effort to assist NHS workers is a publicity stunt why not let them fine tune their arrangements so they work better going forward? 

• Agree 12

3 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

Easter Eggs are about the only thing in really vast quantities currently in the big shops!

I'm on a Keto diet and haven't eaten chocolate, sweets, biscuits or cakes for two months. Seeing those Easter eggs on the shelves and knowing I can't have one is torture.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, bourneagain said:

This NHS Staff shopping happy hour is a complete joke and publicly stunt.

This morning my Son-in-Law who is a Paramedic went to his local Tesco Extra for the priory shopping hour only to find that he couldn`t even access the car park and that was an hour before they opened. He returned home empty handed!

He did expect, knowing the situation on previous recent occasions he tried to shop there, that the car park would be full. But he hoped that Tesco would have recognised that fact and had somebody at the car park entrance to turn away any vehicles that did not contain any NHS Staff, until such time the NHS happy hour was coming to an end. How does Tesco expect the NHS Staff to get their shopping done, when they can`t even access the car park?  I wouldn`t be surprised if many of the other well known supermarkets have the same problem with this car parking problem, until they do something to resolve it the NHS Staff will continue to suffer.  

it's a shame I know but car parks are a convenience, I do not believe your rright to a parking spot is god given. Why did your SiL not park elsewhere and walk to his shopping?

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, midlands said:

it's a shame I know but car parks are a convenience, I do not believe your rright to a parking spot is god given. Why did your SiL not park elsewhere and walk to his shopping?

I had trouble getting to the DIY tin shed at 10.30 because of all of the Tesco customers parked on the roadway and footpaths. When I finally got through the car park was almost full of Tesco shoppers. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Just logged into Asda home delivery and a few available spots had appeared(?)

I have a holding order made up but you can't check out until there is a slot so I went back to complete checkout (a few seconds only) and was asked to pick a slot and b*gger all the slots had gone. So quickly

Edited by melmerby

1 hour ago, phil-b259 said:

Because such a modification of the POS software, particularly the role out to every till in every store would take time + resources that could be better spent on other things.

I was referring to Ocado. No stores. No tills. 

Remember when one talks of NHS Staff the NHS is the fifth largest employer in the world. 

Somewhere in the region of 1.3 million people work for them (or about 2.5 % of the entire population!) and they all tend to live in clusters.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On the subject of Ocado, there is a rumour going around that the website shut down because there were so many people trying to get online last Wednesday that the computer associated with the site assumed it was a DNS attack from rogue hackers overseas. 

15 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

On the subject of Ocado, there is a rumour going around that the website shut down because there were so many people trying to get online last Wednesday that the computer associated with the site assumed it was a DNS attack from rogue hackers overseas. 

DNS - Dumb Numb Skull?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, midlands said:

I usually walk, it's not far at all. Unless some people get their way and arrest you for walking (and the canal towpath is less than 6' wide most of the time).

2 hours ago, Reorte said:

I usually walk, it's not far at all. Unless some people get their way and arrest you for walking (and the canal towpath is less than 6' wide most of the time).

Our local Tesco is located on one of those out-of-town estates with, effectively, no “general” parking and no pedestrian access. You either park in their car park, or don’t go at all. I have seen the occasional intrepid soul accessing it via the surrounding sliproads and grass verges, but not many. 

• RMweb Premium

I went out this morning to two shops, to buy a couple of essentials.

In both, entire families were milling noisily around, making it impossible to 'social distance'; as if it were any regular Sunday morning.

It was noticeable that the parents were late twenties / early thirties, and clearly affluent / self-consciously successful.

I understand that this demographic are unlikely to succumb to Covid-19, but I am personally aware, (as an over-70), that they are perfectly capable of passing the virus to me whilst not exhibiting any symptoms themselves.

I also understand that it is nowadays possible / common for people to become affluent / self-consciously successful, without having one iota of common sense or social responsibility - but it does say a lot about what natural selection will do to society (for the worse) in times to come.

When my time comes, I'll be well out of it!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

8 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Meanwhile a quick visit to my local model shop (Gaugemaster in Ford) revealed lots of gaps in the Metcalfe kits!!!

Hope you placed an order for those you wanted. They'll contact you when they're next in stock! Don't forget the Deluxe Roket Card Glue either!

• Like 2

I have just found out that from tomorrow the DIY store where I work has had its opening hours cut, so my shift has moved forward a bit. Also there will be limits on the amount of customers allowed inside. I have no idea how that is going to work.

I am not looking forward to tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Paul.Uni said:

Also there will be limits on the amount of customers allowed inside. I have no idea how that is going to work.

A variation on the Falklands War reportage where a reporter, referring to aircraft, said "I counted them out - and I counted them all back in"?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Paul.Uni said:

I have just found out that from tomorrow the DIY store where I work has had its opening hours cut, so my shift has moved forward a bit. Also there will be limits on the amount of customers allowed inside. I have no idea how that is going to work.

I am not looking forward to tomorrow.

I mentioned somewhere upthread (and slightly tongue-in-cheek) that DIY big sheds and garden centres would be the next places to get "hit" _ I may not have been that far off ;)

• RMweb Gold

"McDonald's said it wanted to protect the wellbeing of staff and customers."

I couldn't help thinking that it might have better if that had occurred to them several decades ago.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 4