The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, melmerby said:

One thing that seems to be a problem with home deliveries and was mentioned on the lunchtime briefing is that home deliveries are picked off the shelf not from stock before it hits the shelves.*

That means the products are put out and the public have their share before the pickers make up the home delivery orders.

Seems a bizarre way of doing it.

Just imagine Hattons et al getting a delivery from Hor/bach/dap putting them on the shelves for personal callers to take their pick before fulfilling pre-orders.:nono:

* all except Ocado that do it from a warehouse.

Why should home delivery 'customers' get priority?

The system of picking off the shelves, sounds like a fair system to me, AKA join the queue!

1 hour ago, LBRJ said:

The next places to be hit by panic levels of use will be

• Garden Centres and DIY stores as everyone needs to keep busy

Already happening. I work in a DIY store and the last week has been extremely busy. Although Friday evening was quieter than the preceding evenings (but still busy compared to a normal Friday).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Paul.Uni said:

Already happening. I work in a DIY store and the last week has been extremely busy. Although Friday evening was quieter than the preceding evenings (but still busy compared to a normal Friday).

funnily enough I was thinking of going to B&Q later today for a few sheets of ply to crack on with the layout as I’ve got 4 rest days coming up next week, combine it with a trip to trident trains for some track too

popped into crewe’s newest petrol station earlier which is also a Sainsbury’s express to grab some flowers for my wife for Mother’s Day from the kids, managed to pick up a pack of loo roll too, I don’t know which she will be more happy to receive in the morning as it was starting to get a bit desperate here! 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I need to VENT!!!!!!!

Because I'M FUMING !!

I went to Woolies just to pick up a few things for Judy. ( dangerous territory right now, being the zombie apocalypse ) I’d rather have zombies than have NO toilet paper, tissues, eggs or long life milk

I'm waiting in line at the register and I dropped a $20 note on the floor. The lady in front of me picked it up. I thanked her and held my hand out, and she said, "The things found on earth are kept by the collector," and walked away.

I was like oh heck NO!!

I looked at the person behind me standing in line, they couldn't believe it either.... this can't be real life right now, right?!

So I took a deep breath and I turned back towards the lady/thief or whatever you wanna call her and as I approached her I said, "Do I look like I'm in the mood? Give me back my money."

She had the nerve to ignore me completely and walked away from me... So, of course I left my trolley and followed her into the car park as I was calling the police (because of course somebody's about to go to jail, not sure who at this point though, her or me). She was almost running at this point to get away from me, which was the first sign of real intelligence this lady had shown. When she got to her car she put her bags on the ground trying to quickly get her boot open.

I was boiling at this point! I decided that her “finders keepers" rule just presented the perfect opportunity for a great karma moment... SO... I went into track star mode and ran full speed, and grabbed 2 of her grocery bags and headed to my car yelling, "The things found on earth are kept by the collector!

I hopped in my car ignoring her every attempt to get my attention. I was out of line I'll admit, but she was too. I was Peed off but I had a sense of satisfaction at the same time.

I get home and looked in the bags and what did I find?

3 packs of rib eye steaks

3 packs of smoked salmon

2 bags of potatoes

Everything to make a Caesar salad

And...

A bottle of Wine

I cant help but think to myself... WOW! Not bad for $20 !!

* In all seriousness, this is just a joke to put a little humor out there with all the seriousness of the coronavirus and to see who would read the entire post. If you made it, please copy, paste, sit back, and enjoy. Hopefully, I just put a smile on your face because this is the best laugh I’ve had in a long time! Thank you! Time to turn the phone off and go to bed. Stay well. 

I don’t normally post things like this, but it had me laughing so much. Hope someone else does too.

• Like 5
  • Funny 6

Things seem to be improving a bit over here. Toddled down to my local Coles for their 11am opening. There was a bit of a queue to get in, but good humoured, patient and well behaved. Goodish stocks of most high demand items. I only took a small basket, to get a bit of mince, some chicken, a few toiletries etc. Plenty of all of them (although there probably isn't now). Only lacks were my preferred brands of raspberry jam and yeasty spread, but alternatives were available. All up, not bad. Mind you, I've seen two full size artics backing into the store's loading bay in the last 16 hours, so I kind of expected decent stock levels. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, big jim said:

funnily enough I was thinking of going to B&Q later today for a few sheets of ply to crack on with the layout as I’ve got 4 rest days coming up next week, combine it with a trip to trident trains for some track too

popped into crewe’s newest petrol station earlier which is also a Sainsbury’s express to grab some flowers for my wife for Mother’s Day from the kids, managed to pick up a pack of loo roll too, I don’t know which she will be more happy to receive in the morning as it was starting to get a bit desperate here! 

Hi,

Re shortage of loo rolls perhaps Donald Rumsfeld former US DOD boss? was a prophet for our times when he said s**t happens:).

His remark about known unknowns and unknown unknowns still remains enigmatic;).

Take care

Nick

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, zarniwhoop said:

Sounds useful for both parties if it happens.

But one of the first government responses was to let businesses off their rates (no problem with that in itself, but the money goes to the council which is not able to borrow in the same way that the government can and so councils are already underfunded before paying for deliveries to the vulnerable, and I suppose they might get surcharged). Unfortunately, we don't do joined-up thinking in the national government.

Please correct me if I am wrong about this.

Local authorities administer business rates (in conjunction with VOA). But they don't get to keep the money. This is supposed to change but who knows when that might happen now.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

It seems that the more the politicians demand us to stop panic buying the more people buy. 

It is very indicative of the total lack of trust in and respect for politicians that this the case. Listen to the politician and do the opposite of what they ask you to do.

But I think the media have to take part of the blame too. BBC have been going on endlessly about the shortages and panic buying this morning. What useful purpose does that serve?

• Agree 9

On 18/03/2020 at 16:05, polybear said:

Think of it as a voyage of adventure and discovery...

Wait till you discover sauerkraut with carroway seeds! Absolutely foul!

There doesn’t appear to be a Russian or Polish word for “chef”, which seems appropriate.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Had that in Austria a few years ago.  Sauerkraut, liver, boiled potatoes, a few pickled chilies and a large glass of cold beer.  Just the thing after a day's hiking in the alps.  :drink_mini:

• RMweb Premium

11 hours ago, pH said:

My brother-in-law attended a formal banquet in South Korea. You would not have eaten the seafood course. 

It was on a bed of red cabbage, which contains an acid/base indicator compound. As it moved across the red cabbage, it left a different-coloured trail.

I was out there on business, this time last year.  Let's see now:

Pickled Silkworm Pupae

Deep Fried Chrysalis

Now let's fill the shelves with those in Stevenage and then see the Panic Buyers go to town...

• Funny 3

7 hours ago, zarniwhoop said:

These days the BBC seems to have become so frightened of the government that it has become its mouthpiece without the usual questioning.

And the TV license fee's there SIMPLY to fund the bbc; none of the other channels, just the bbc.

Make the over 75s pay the fee - no! Scrap it completely. For everyone.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Depends on what is meant by the priority customers. You mentioned home delivery, which by my understanding is anyone, not specifically those at risk.

But thanks for your comment!

From my other posts (if you have read them) you will have gathered that I am in my mid 70s, with a less than fully mobile wife.

Official advice is to self isolate, yet we can't even get basics and there is no priority for us or even NHS staff to get stuff. we just have to trail around the supermarkets/shops to find stuff when we shoud be out of circulation.

That scares me.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Should possibly close home delivery to anyone who isn't listed as vulnerable for now.

Is there anything being organised in your area to help? I had a leaflet pushed through the door last week from the local parish, organising people who can't work now to help out with things like shopping.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Something food for thought.

BBC is paid for by us / govt.

Commercial stations paid for by advertising / subscriptions.

If their advertising disappear due to many companies no longer or suspended trading such as airlines travel agents, shops then either the subscriptions will go up or they may stop broadcasting.

Just something that crossed my mind this morning.

1 minute ago, melmerby said:

From my other posts (if you have read them) you will have gathered that I am in my mid 70s, with a less than fully mobile wife.

Official advice is to self isolate, yet we can't even get basics and there is no priority for us or even NHS staff to get stuff. we just have to trail around the supermarkets/shops to find stuff when we shoud be out of circulation.

That scares me.

That is really sad news, but unfortunately not the kind of information which seems to be even twingeing the conscience of the selfish bulk buyers of anything they can get their hands on. I tend to be a bit of a belt and braces grocery shopper at the best of times and tend to order stuff for home delivery well before we run out just in case I forget, as my memory is like a sieve. If we lived closer I would have volunteered to bring a few things round and leave them on your doorstep, but Somerset to Worcestershire is a bit of a trek. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Reorte said:

Should possibly close home delivery to anyone who isn't listed as vulnerable for now.

Is there anything being organised in your area to help? I had a leaflet pushed through the door last week from the local parish, organising people who can't work now to help out with things like shopping.

Yes that is exactly right and it is the path Australia is going down. The Red Cross and similar organisations are expected to start drop offs at front doors soon.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Reorte said:

Both my mother and my other halfs mother are vulnerable but don't either have internet or dont know how to do online shopping so no use to them. However other halfs brother does the online shopping for her mother. If he was stopped then she wouldn't get food in the tiny village where she lives.

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, melmerby said:

That scares me.

My wife gets around badly with a walker, so I know exactly what the problem is. So you aren't alone. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, melmerby said:

That scares me.

Looking at supermarkets websites just now.From tomorrow,Tesco has a slot from 9:00-10:00 on Monday/Wednesday/Friday for the elderly and vulnerable and Sainsbury’s from 8:00-9:00 on same days.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Both my mother and my other halfs mother are vulnerable but don't either have internet or dont know how to do online shopping so no use to them. However other halfs brother does the online shopping for her mother. If he was stopped then she wouldn't get food in the itny village where she lives.

That's still online shopping for the vulnerable then. Yes, it would rely on some degree of honesty and there are people who'd abuse that but it should help.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Looking at supermarkets websites just now.From tomorrow,Tesco has a slot from 9:00-10:00 on Monday/Wednesday/Friday for the elderly and vulnerable and Sainsbury’s from 8:00-9:00 on same days.

Australian supermarkets have been doing exactly that for over a week. In fact AFAIK the idea was started by a small country supermarket in Australia.