Pre-Nationalisation diesel 0-6-0 shunters

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Wonder if anyone could help ...

Would like to know the livery of the Brush shunter (similar to D2999) that worked on test evaluation

in Gloucester docks ?   Any photos of the loco concerned  would be welcomed.

Am hoping to model this loco, from a Judith Edge kit.

Cheers, Ian

D2999 001.jpg

Edited by Staffordshire
Re-attached photo
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Staffordshire said:

Wonder if anyone could help ...

Would like to know the livery of the Brush shunter (similar to D2999) that worked on test evaluation

in Gloucester docks ?   Any photos of the loco concerned  would be welcomed.

Am hoping to model this loco, from a Judith Edge kit.

Cheers, Ian

D2999 002 (2).jpg

Orange - apparently known by BR as Brush 9998.

CJI.

• RMweb Premium

I only have one photo of this loco, it's in Colin Marsden's diesel shunter book. Brush history isn't very clear on exactly which loco this was but it looks like the most common version - not the cut down cab oe the off centre rear headlight as seen in the Parkgate fleet.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

My recollection of the one colour photo that I've seen is of a somewhat faded tangerine - no doubt due to general wear and tear.

CJI.

This MAY be the loco in question; I have no idea of who holds the copyright, but it was captioned as the Brush works shunter.

1828108006_BRUSHWORKSSHUNTER.jpg.329a4dbfff70daa6491086e03518f6f3.jpg

As to colour, this may give a clue as it appears to show another Brush works shunter - comments welcome.

D0280_20.jpg.e54d498816a07a0e2ca4b555f45ace88.jpg

CJI.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

.... with inside frames  -  a rather different machine !

Clearly not the same loco, but the point of the posting was to suggest what the Brush corporate livery for an internal user might have been.

CJI.

8 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Interesting too, in that D0280 clearly has small yellow panels - which, for a long time, received wisdom insisted that it did not carry whilst in original livery.

CJI.

After a period of use on ER freight traffic Falcon was returned to Brush Traction in late 1963 and didn't reappear until January 1965, repainted into BR Gsyp livery. Therefore Falcon spent the whole of 1964 at Brush and this photo, taken I believe in July that year and apparently unique, would indicate that yellow warning panels were added to its lime green livery when it arrived (judging from its condition here) but it was never destined to display this combination in traffic.

With apologies to those actually running their Heljan model in this livery, although it does look rather good doesn't it?!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, cctransuk said:

1828108006_BRUSHWORKSSHUNTER.jpg.329a4dbfff70daa6491086e03518f6f3.jpg

D0280_20.jpg.e54d498816a07a0e2ca4b555f45ace88.jpg

Looking more closely at the b&w photo of the 0-4-0, it can be seen that the bonnet top and cab roof are a darker colour; (black?); and I would tentatively suggest that it carries the same livery details as the 0-6-0 in the colour photo below.

CJI.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I have a dim recollection, not to be trusted without corroboration, that Brush “house colours” were orange and very dark chocolate brown. If that is correct the “black” might be dark brown.

That is why I queried black - I have a feeling that the very dark chocolate brown is correct.

CJI.