The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Modelling Replacement Buses

Mike Buckner

People are now complaining that replacement buses are just that, rather than the luxury coaches they've been used to.

This is because RRBs now have to be accessible and compliant with PRM regulations and not that many road coaches are, unlike your average service bus.

But then of course service buses don't have toilets for the longer journeys:blink:

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Mike Buckner said:

Should a small random proportion of trainsets contain a replacement bus instead?

Only those purchased over the weekend. And surely it should be buses? With only two thirds the seat capacity of the train they are replacing, that goes without saying. 

For operation, a circuit of 'rail substitute' pavement and roadway with broken paving slabs, rocking kerbstones and several extremely large and deep rainwater filled potholes should be in the set too.

• Funny 4

I certainly think so. It would save you a fortune in stock. An EFE bus is much cheaper than the latest Bachmann multiple unit! Very handy if you're on a budget. In fact, modern image modellers are at a distinct advantage in this respect. Save a fortune on track, just a single line dead ending at a plastic bus shelter, a goods yard can be replaced with a car park that isn't used. ( no need to buy lots of scale cars) the MPD can be replaced with a retail park (cornflake boxes painted grey) which in turn will give you the money to spend on a dcc sound system for the sound of the buses ticking over and a chavvy mummy shouting at her darling children (invariably their names are Get here! and Shut it!) or you can go for award winning realism with a scale smackhead "Got any spare change mate?" Go for it!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

... modern image modellers are at a distinct advantage in this respect. Save a fortune on track, just a single line dead ending at a plastic bus shelter, a goods yard can be replaced with a car park that isn't used. ( no need to buy lots of scale cars) the MPD can be replaced with a retail park (cornflake boxes painted grey) which in turn will give you the money to spend on a dcc sound system for the sound of the buses ticking over and a chavvy mummy shouting at her darling children (invariably their names are Get here! and Shut it!) or you can go for award winning realism with a scale smackhead "Got any spare change mate?" ...

I wait for the exhibition layout. This hangs on a suitably witty title, 'Bustitution Market', 'Bustitleigh'; 'Llarofsesub'; someone will come up with a cracker.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

A real spanner in the works to this rail replacement bus thing happened a few years ago when Cumbria flooded and Road Replacement Trains were being run in Workington though!

(still think they missed a good trick if they'd labelled them just as that)

Edited by Reorte

I'm seriously considering going modern image, ripping up my branch line, putting in a cul de sac where the level crossing was and filling the yard with bogus late Georgian farmhouses and calling it Station Mews... I will then run a wildly overpriced bus service at erratic and inconvenient times, that struggles to get past the selfishly parked Chelsea tractors outside the school and shops. I am only struggling for a name based around Take it or leave it, or You asked for it"

• RMweb Gold

Things to do when you are at work on a Sunday morning in the early '70s. 

I dial a number. It is answered. 

Me : "Hello? Is that London Transport Leatherhead Garage?"

Him : "Yes"

Me : "This is British Rail Croydon Control. I understand that one of your buses on the rail substitution service has just been in collision with an ambulance near Ashtead station."

Him : "Oh!"

• Like 5

Off topic but still on topic?

Some time ago I posted, on a similarly themed thread, one of my personal pictures, which I have since lost. Does anyone by any chance have saved a copy which they could send to me?

The picture was of the illuminated Blackpool Western Train tram, in the street outside the (old) depot, right by a bus stop sign. I made some comment about it being a rail replacement bus I believe.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

If you have a model of Mrs SM42 on the bus you could have it make a Special Stop Order call at the bus stop at the end of our road rather than take us all the way to the station.

The cheek, the embarassment, the convenience. :D

Of course if you are modelling modern day Rugeley Trent Valley, buses are a necessity, Class 350 units less so.

Andy

15 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

...Me : "This is British Rail Croydon Control. I understand that one of your buses on the rail substitution service has just been in collision with an ambulance near Ashtead station."

Him : "Oh!"

Which well illustrates the huge advantage of the railway infrastructure at that date, for the purpose of operating public transport.

Once the bus left the garage it was an amoeba, whereas the railway was a multicellular nervous system animal.

It would be interesting to see studies on the relative benefits of rail for short distance services vs reserved route roads with centrally controlled buses enabled by current tech.

• Agree 1

On 26/02/2020 at 23:51, MrWolf said:

I certainly think so. It would save you a fortune in stock. An EFE bus is much cheaper than the latest Bachmann multiple unit! Very handy if you're on a budget. In fact, modern image modellers are at a distinct advantage in this respect. Save a fortune on track, just a single line dead ending at a plastic bus shelter, a goods yard can be replaced with a car park that isn't used. ( no need to buy lots of scale cars) the MPD can be replaced with a retail park (cornflake boxes painted grey) which in turn will give you the money to spend on a dcc sound system for the sound of the buses ticking over and a chavvy mummy shouting at her darling children (invariably their names are Get here! and Shut it!) or you can go for award winning realism with a scale smackhead "Got any spare change mate?" Go for it!

Even more so, how about adding some "Scene Of Crime" tape dangling between lamp posts, and some damaged buildings?

Berwick’s train station is closed after thieves used explosives to break into an ATM to steal cash, leaving a trail of destruction in their wake. Passengers are unable to catch or alight services this morning, Wednesday, March 4, following damage in the entrance of the Railway Street station in the early hours of today, Wednesday, March 4. British Transport Police sealed off the station, with officers confirm the significant damage was caused in an explosion, with a search underway for the gang responsible. A spokesperson for the force said: “British Transport Police were called at 3.48am to Berwick station following a report of theft from a cash machine. “A group are reported to have used an explosive substance to damage the cash machine and remove its contents. “The suspects then fled the scene. “Officers from BTP and Northumbria Police attended and inquiries into the incident are ongoing.”

image.png.4876d9a949311958b5225f4522b59f42.png

"A large cordon has been thrown around the station following the attack. Copyright: JPIMedia"

https://www.berwick-advertiser.co.uk/news/transport/berwick-train-station-closed-after-explosive-attack-atm-thieves-snatch-cash-2065515

Nothing to see here, move along please.

image.png.bac4396901e1f286df0f5c87b51878e1.png