Merchant Navy Class loco & tender information

Staffordshire

Hi, 

I am after information on Merchant Navy Class loco's in their original form, prior to rebuilding.

Did any of the the locos (35011 - 35020)  run with cut down tenders ?  All information, dates etc gratefully received.

Any photos or links would be a great help.

Thanks in advance, Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not as far as I can see from my books. Suggestion is that all tenders were 'modified/cut down' at loco Rebuilding. '18 had the CWT 3343 in 1952 from July till October, newly modified July'52. '15 had the Coal Weighing Tender 3343 from 7.56; looks like until Rebuilt in 58?

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

The first cut-down tenders appeared in 1952. Here's a picture of 35011 with the later crest at Exmouth Junction shed in 1957.

https://railphotoprints.uk/p668741324/e3dbac40c

And here's 35021 - 

Bulleid original 'Merchant Navy' class pacific no. 35021 New Zealand Line departs from Southampton Central whilst in charge of the down Bournemouth Belle. [Mike Morant collection]

Here's the definitive history of MN tenders from the SEMG website - https://sremg.org.uk/steam/mn-ten.shtml

Edited by RFS
Updated link

• 3 years later...

The build of 35013  is progressing, but I am afraid I have another question ....

There seems to be two versions of the Vacuum tanks & cover on the top of the rear of the Tender ?

One is much wider than the other !

Does anyone know which of the two the Original MN 35013  ran with ??

Many thanks.

1 hour ago, Staffordshire said:

The build of 35013  is progressing, but I am afraid I have another question ....

There seems to be two versions of the Vacuum tanks & cover on the top of the rear of the Tender ?

One is much wider than the other !

Does anyone know which of the two the Original MN 35013  ran with ??

Many thanks.

I think you will find that the tender attached to 35013 whilst still streamlined is the same type as Hornby model with their models of 35010 to 35019, so only the BR emblem needs to be changed to small early crest.

MerchantNavies009.JPG.3d940bb32e50572ea7e319797e421f2b.JPG

Hope this helps,

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

29 minutes ago, 45568 said:

I think you will find that the tender attached to 35013 whilst still streamlined is the same type as Hornby model with their models of 35010 to 35019, so only the BR emblem needs to be changed to small early crest.

MerchantNavies009.JPG.3d940bb32e50572ea7e319797e421f2b.JPG

Hope this helps,

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Good tip, but be careful as the tenders aren't always wired to the same polarity as each other (from different models). Hornby, or their factories, simply weren't always consistent with this.