The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Railway Modelling Crimes

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, eastworld said:

There's no future in your relationship.

Stu

I don't know.... one tongue in cheek definition of love I heard is - 'Love is when you know all about someone and still like them'

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

I don't know.... one tongue in cheek definition of love I heard is - 'Love is when you know all about someone and still like them'

I don't find that "tongue in cheek" at all. But then I am going through a divorce....

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

For me the word lying is very emotive! Although the dictionary definition is intent to deceive to me it has always meant systemic deception to disadvantage the recipient as opposed to occasional inconsequential fibbing, which the dictionary seems to accept is inconsequential.

If SWMBO buys model railways for you for birthday  or Christmas then she knows what it costs! Best to be open - I took SWMBO in to CMC when I collected and paid for my 20 Dapol bolster Es - OK her jaw dropped but all is clear, and I can enjoy what I buy without worrying about it...

But let him without sin cast the first stone....

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I don't find that "tongue in cheek" at all. But then I am going through a divorce....

Sorry to hear that - although my ex and I kept things as positive as we could we still managed to prove theres no such thing as an easy divorce....

• Friendly/supportive 2

14 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

That's bad news, I've been there too. It was ugly. At the time it seemed like it would go on forever, but you do bounce back, usually without realising it and start to live life again.

• Like 1

We seem to have derailed this topic somewhat! So to clear away the pile of twisted metal and charred timbers, here is a picture from the dump siding at Aston on Clun. On the doorframe to the right of the guards lookout there is what appears to be a lump of carpet embedded in the paint. My friend picked this up and I swapped it for a kick start spring. If I can get the paint off, it will be cut and shut into something more prototypical. I originally assumed that a young child had painted it, but they don't usually go to the trouble of fitting scale wheels!

WP_20200403_23_20_44_Pro.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

We seem to have derailed this topic somewhat! So to clear away the pile of twisted metal and charred timbers, here is a picture from the dump siding at Aston on Clun. On the doorframe to the right of the guards lookout there is what appears to be a lump of carpet embedded in the paint. My friend picked this up and I swapped it for a kick start spring. If I can get the paint off, it will be cut and shut into something more prototypical. I originally assumed that a young child had painted it, but they don't usually go to the trouble of fitting scale wheels!

WP_20200403_23_20_44_Pro.jpg

It's a Gostude, L@@K, Kit built, Hornby coach in original condition.

• Like 2
  • Funny 8

2 minutes ago, melmerby said:

It's a Gostude, L@@K, Kit built, Hornby coach in original condition.

I've seen those! :huh: Another seller with some er, interesting junk starts all his titles with: Excellent kit built... I don't know how to put the links up on here with my phone, but try typing that in, there's some real horrors!

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

This is described as an Excellent kit built weathered 10 plank wagon with real coal load. Starting bid £14.99 + £3.90 post and packing.

The weathering appears to be Wilko non drip gloss white... This clearly has a foot in two camps. Modelling crimes and eBay madness

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_s-l300(1).jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I've seen those! :huh: Another seller with some er, interesting junk starts all his titles with: Excellent kit built... I don't know how to put the links up on here with my phone, but try typing that in, there's some real horrors!

There is an ebay seller (I forget his name at the moment) here in the states the invariably uses the phrase "excellent build"; most are in the same shape (or worse) than the de-railed red coach pictured above.

• Funny 2

Perhaps because society is so terrified of offending anyone these days what he means by "Excellent build" is more like "Hasn't fallen apart yet" ?

I am all in favour of such warm and cosy language, nowadays I don't refer to someone as "butt ugly", I call them "visually offensive" instead.

Disappointingly, despite my efforts, they still act all offended and generally butthurt. You can't win.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

This is described as an Excellent kit built weathered 10 plank wagon with real coal load. Starting bid £14.99 + £3.90 post and packing.

The weathering appears to be Wilko non drip gloss white... This clearly has a foot in two camps. Modelling crimes and eBay madness

Excellent, I still have 5 litres of that......I was going to order some more MIG washes but now I won’t have to :D

• Funny 6

11 hours ago, MrWolf said:

He forgot the realistic rust on the wheels!

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

What wagon is that supposed to portray?

It's extremely tall for a wooden plank design and would surely be bowing out with  that load of coal in real life.

I could be wrong (and I am sure someone will point it out if I am!;)) but it looks suspiciously like an old Coopercraft GWR provender wagon, a large capacity vehicle designed for delivering hay bedding to goods yard stables in the days of the company's cartage services. It would probably have collapsed in a heap if filled up with that much coal. Upside is there would be a lot of top quality kindling as a result...

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I could be wrong (and I am sure someone will point it out if I am!;)) but it looks suspiciously like an old Coopercraft GWR provender wagon, a large capacity vehicle designed for delivering hay bedding to goods yard stables in the days of the company's cartage services. It would probably have collapsed in a heap if filled up with that much coal. Upside is there would be a lot of top quality kindling as a result...

I'll have to look at my collection of made up kits awaiting spraying, because I have a provender wagon amongst them.

EDIT

Just checked my provender wagon and it isn't that one, the bracing is completely different to the one in the photo, ends are different as well.

Here's a picture of a made up "N" one:

ocww-aln008-gwr-diagram-q1-high-sided-pr

Edited by melmerby
scale
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Gentlemen, I think we have a winner!

This is the O gauge version.

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_102521.jpg

I agree it looks the part.

If so, it's diagram D342 built from 1888 to 1912 to a total of 2476 (Essery,  Midland Wagons vol 1, pp81/2. OPC)

However the picture of one in service is all over grey without the ironwork picked out in black and the end vertical braces are more substantial.

• Like 3

Slightly OT but if provender wagons delivered hay to goods yard stables was there ever in Britain a significant general traffic in hay? I've seen photos of such wagons in France looking very close to being outside the loading gauge but the railways there were far more dedicated to agriculture than ours. I've not seen photos of the same load carried here and if it was would it have been a fairly local shipment or long distance. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

Slightly OT but if provender wagons delivered hay to goods yard stables was there ever in Britain a significant general traffic in hay? I've seen photos of such wagons in France looking very close to being outside the loading gauge but the railways there were far more dedicated to agriculture than ours. I've not seen photos of the same load carried here and if it was would it have been a fairly local shipment or long distance. 

There was a major trade in hay carried by Thames barges, see here: https://knowyourlondon.wordpress.com/2016/06/20/hay-barges-on-the-thames/

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The GWR only ever had 12 dedicated Provender wagons (Q1), but is there any reason why any other open wagon couldn't be used?

The GWR was a large user of horses for local cartage and 12 wagons would hardly seem enough.

N.B. the GWR also had 6 Manure wagons!

• Like 2