Brighton Built LNER O6's (8F's)

Jack P

Hi guys,

Question for those more in the know, i'm after some information on the LNER O6's built at Brighton in 1944. What were some of the main differences to the standard 8f's? I've seen some information on tender types; riveted/un-riveted, but is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

7 minutes ago, Jack P said:

Hi guys,

Question for those more in the know, i'm after some information on the LNER O6's built at Brighton in 1944. What were some of the main differences to the standard 8f's? I've seen some information on tender types; riveted/un-riveted, but is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

Nothing that didn't appear on 8Fs built elsewhere ......... I think the tenders were part welded - but would have got swapped around later in life.

The orders were as follows:

Railway Executive Committee order SR Eastleigh Works 1943–4423 LMS 8600–8609, 8650–8662

Railway Executive Committee order SR Ashford Works   1943–4414LMS  8610–8612, 8618–8624, 8671–8674

Railway Executive Committee orderSR  Brighton Works  1943–4468LMS  8613–8617, 8625–8649, 8663–8670, 8675–8704

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LMS_Stanier_Class_8F)

The main variations among the 8Fs are the tenders, balance weights, lubricators and reversing rods.

Tenders on the SR and GWR built locos were welded originally (subject to later changes upon overhaul). Wheels were spoked unlike the disc wheels on the Darlington and Doncaster built locos. No 8Fs had part welded tenders from new.

The later locos received truncated crescent shaped balance weights instead of the earlier style, the ends of which ran parallel to the spokes. Wheels did get swapped around over the course of the loco's life and you see photos of locos with both types.

The Brighton built 'LNER' engines received Wakefield rather than Silvertown lubricators. 

Reversing rods were straight rather than the earlier curved style.

Buffer beams were flush riveted.

One of these locos survives, no. 48624, which is preserved on the Great Central Railway but is now 'out of ticket' as its boiler certificate expired in July 2019. 

The Brassmasters detailing kit enables the variations among the locos in the class and copious notes and instructions come with it http://brassmasters.co.uk/hornby_8F.htm.

image.png

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

See also the Wildswan publications on the 8F's.

Thanks Mick, that's what I was looking at when writing my post. Not to forget that Irwell will reach the LNER-/SR/GWR built locos in their 'Book of the 8Fs' series before too long now.