“BEYOND DOVER”

Northroader

50 minutes ago, Northroader said:

I’m ditching that link

It does make one wonder....pity, though, I was just getting really interested in the eastwards direction of travel 'beyond Dover'

• RMweb Premium

It sort of goes round in circles, maybe just try to download some pictures. Anyhow, thanks for your tip, I’m a computer ignoramus, but totally lost at the way you can gain information on the most obscure items using it.

Hello, wonder what she wants...., Hello, Rosa, got anything spiky I can hang this index on?

45F3E37E-A048-4456-9F99-D8A1ED23E187.jpeg.b91416436610b812b4ec4c18c51298de.jpeg

INDEX - pages 21 - 30:

page 21: Old Russian Locomotives.                            page 22: OUEST - Buddicom locomotives

Borsig Locomotive Catalogue                                       Italy - abandoned lines & paintings

French station buildings                                               Alessandro Albe

Egyptian station buildings

page 23: Italy, reversing star.                                        page 24: kkStB goods van

P-O two outstanding layouts.                                        Trees

St. Luke’s new track layout.                                           Austro-Hungarian (Serbia) signals

Bohemian / Austrian country station.                         German manual block working

São Lucas- something stirs.                                           Sebesic station. MAV - JZ.

Micromodel Dispatch.                                                     Bulgarian Railways.

NORD rolling stock 1858 (!)

K.Bay.St.B - a trip to Bavaria

L.M.Vilain - his French Locomotive Books.          

page 25: Stenvalls publishing.                                      page 26: OUEST locomotives.

C.F. Orientaux, plus Turkish Railways.                          Italian goods wagons.

Skorstensband.                                                                São Lucas - some bits.

Danish 0-4-0T.                                                                   North European scenery-

Oddherreds Jernbane - OHJ.                                                Polish narrow gauge

Treaty of Berlin, 1878.                                                      French metre gauge                               

page 27: Old Prussia.                                                     page 28: “Closely watched trains”

Kartonmodelle.                                                                 Rome termini 1868

The guest house at Budwity.                                          Rome Papal States Railway
                 48 mann, oder 8 pferde.                                                Roman Railways Locomotives
                 Prussian G.1,T.0,T.3.                                                        “L’Age d’Or”
                Danish model layout.                                                                                                                                           

Prussian six-wheeled van

page 29: c.f. Puy de Dome                                            page 30:  San Remo.

Algeciras - Bobadilla Rly.                                                 Ferrocaril Santander-Alar del Rey               

Italian 0-6-0Ts and their uses.                                        Handy guide to layout design.
                                                                                                             John Hardy.

Caminhos de Ferro do Estado.

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Northroader said:

It sort of goes round in circles, maybe just try to download some pictures. Anyhow, thanks for your tip, I’m a computer ignoramus, but totally lost at the way you can gain information on the most obscure items using it.

Hello, wonder what she wants....

45F3E37E-A048-4456-9F99-D8A1ED23E187.jpeg.b91416436610b812b4ec4c18c51298de.jpeg

Ah, Rosa Kleb, ( I believe that is the correct spelling????), Don’t forget she defected to Spectre.  

Paul

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

BORSIG LOCOMOTIVE CATALOGUE.

Thanks very much for taking the time to do all that information, it’s just the sort of thing I had in mind,and will be most useful. I gather an Imperial Commission did a report on the short comings of the railways following the Russian/Turkish war in the 1870s, and one recommendation was no more 0-6-0s to be built, and a speeding up of nationalisation. Hence, thousands of “O” class.

One place I’ve found is an old Borsig catalogue, as they built locos for everywhere, and there’s a Russian loco looking very like the Holland Railway express engines.

August Borsig (Berlin Tegel) Steam Locomotives Catalogue (1898) - Donetzbahn

(Click on it, and you can look through the catalogue, but I haven’t cracked how to download yet)

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 7

For those who are developing an interest in Russian steam locos, how about these ones of class Ф. 45 were built and they were originally wood burners - later oil. They ran on the Transcaucasus railway and lasted into the 1930s.   There is something vaguely familiar about them that I cannot quite put my finger on..............

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

There’s a list of the bigwigs assembled at Portmadoc for trials of the Fairlie Patent, quite impressive set of personages, and shows how those locos appeared in Russia, class F (in Russian) for Fairlie.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Francis_Fairlie

Another man of Scottish descent, Thomas Urquhart, had a hand in these locos, as they were oilburners used in the Caucasus region. Presumably it was one of his forebears who had an association with “the Great Game” here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_burner_(engine)

https://www.circassianworld.com/pdf/David_Urquharts_Holy_War.pdf

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Northroader said:

There’s a list of the bigwigs assembled at Portmadoc for trials of the Fairlie Patent, quite impressive set of personages, and shows how those locos appeared in Russia, class F (in Russian) for Fairlie.

That was worth it for the bit about eloping with George England's mistress' daughter.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

2 hours ago, Northroader said:

Of the assembled VIPs, Edward Preston was to be resident engineer for the Trans Caucasus and G B Crawley and Co was to be the contractor. 

Best wishes 

Eric  

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Before it hotted up too much, I managed to clear a couple of quickie jobs in the loft this morning, then retired for the day. To improve the shining hour, I managed to get some nice drawings for typical 2-4-0 and 0-6-0 types:

8F089948-F8D0-4421-8A97-9C4AE0ADEAF7.thumb.png.3d55d80fb11e93c268c5bf4772d8918a.png734577E7-BA7C-47B9-91D2-796FF91D174E.jpeg.83deb95e6d29afda7d990eb4b77ace5f.jpeg

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 9

Is there something about the size of firebox on those two designs?

The 0-6-0 is evidently a long boiler design which, with outside cylinders, must have discouraged anything above a very moderate speed. 

The 2-4-0 has the rear driving wheel aft of the firebox, but the coupled wheels seem to be far apart. 

The chimney suggests that both were designed as wood burners, although the top 0-6-0 seems to be a coal burner. 

Best wishes 

Eric  

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, burgundy said:

The chimney suggests that both were designed as wood burners, although the top 0-6-0 seems to be a coal burner. 

There are subtle differences - the wood burner seems to have a slightly shorter coupled wheelbase and its tender an asymmetric wheelbase - as if the weight distribution is expected to be different.

• RMweb Premium

I think it’s a case of “horses for courses”. I’ve also downloaded another drawing, which started off as one single sheet, which I found wouldn’t download like that, as too many pixels, so I’ve split as three separate items, but you have a standard design from one manufacturer for passenger and goods engines, using the same tender, with a lot in common with the examples on my last post.

The passenger job is very similar to Beatties designs for the LSWR, the driving wheels either end of the firebox increasing the wheelbase and allowing a steadier ride at speed. The goods loco is a long boiler type, originally designed in Britain to try and improve boiler efficiency, and having more reserve capacity, but the shorter wheelbase limiting the speed, so more for “chugging and lugging”. Outside cylinder on both types would simplify manufacture, with straight driving axles not needing the forging for inside cranks.

2CCC9A00-81D8-46C9-905E-D00578285B46.jpeg.c5d170fac390bec151a0d285c805fb49.jpeg539B5F66-3A18-4076-87A4-C33317F3861A.jpeg.e033ac64a3015ee90b605a0ce2d385b1.jpeg1277FF9F-6B1D-4EDA-9A15-5FFA79F33A5C.jpeg.322178c7c069bf9c14aa7c6636a0619c.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

FRENCH STATION BUILDINGS.

Please feel free to continue this discussion, or anything else loosely covered by the suitably elastic title of this thread, I just want to return to France, and station buildings for the OUEST for a while. On the Forum LR link for the Normandy branches a couple of pages ago, there are a couple of pictures of two types of OUEST stations, which are taken from HO kits by  Regions et Compagnies. These are interesting for offering a variety of the Grande Lignes designs.

https://www.regionsetcompagnies.fr

83ACD5EA-7745-497D-A435-BF9C20ED2AD1.jpeg.aa41d1bc9191b08936e944a3feee8aaa.jpeg

You can also do a download of an article out of a backnumber of the Loco Revue magazine, which had a full set of printed bits in HO for the Gare of Dozule  Putot, a OUEST standard design on the Normandy Coast.

http://fr.1001mags.com/parution/loco-revue/numero-708-juillet-2006/page-36-37-texte-integral

This station is one of a range of country stations featured as plans in this softback, published a few years ago, but still around as second hand.

4554F6DF-456E-489D-AD28-DE4A20C53530.jpeg.ec89322a5acccd9ccca06f808a2a0db6.jpeg

Its interesting as the authors work in textured art paper with good results. There’s a sample of country stations from most lines, although the PO gets missed off, and there’s just a signal cabin for the MIDI.

The cover shows one for the EST which I have made, but since scrapped. The snag with that one which I subsequently discovered is that a lot of the old EST stations in Eastern France were dynamited by the German Army as Germany collapsed in the Autumn of 1918, forcing a retreat, showing what poor losers they were. The design in that book is a 1920s replacement, so outside my time frame.

Not to worry, I still do need a small EST station, to go with the models I’ve featured on here, and I’ve found drawings for just the thing in a thread dealing with building a nice O layout:

https://forum.e-train.fr/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=78617

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Just tidying up on OUEST station architecture, I wanted to mention a curiosity which may interest  British rail-fans. The line from Rouen to Le Havre was financed by British capital, and they engaged an English architect. French stations by and large do have a fairly “national” appearance, but then you get a style appearing at Breaute- Beuzeville, totally out of character for a French station. The man responsible was Sir William Tite, best known for country stations on the LNWR and LSWR. I’m afraid you won’t find it now, after the breakout from Normandy in 1944, it was destroyed in the fighting in the advance up the Channel Coast. You’ll spot the shelter on the opposite platform and the toilet block are later additions, far more at home.

E4104CE8-5D80-4CE9-812E-4477A99D7DA8.jpeg.644122f0f2d5c623cfc3ad7d212e8c6f.jpeg54AF18D2-128C-4B42-8868-06659A11D9A2.jpeg.a5513bad51b8ca4a12a7d3dba5172916.jpeg

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Just tidying up on OUEST station architecture, I wanted to mention a curiosity which may interest  British rail-fans. The line from Rouen to Le Havre was financed by British capital, and they engaged an English architect. French stations by and large do have a fairly “national” appearance, but then you get a style appearing at Breaute- Beuzeville, totally out of character for a French station. The man responsible was Sir William Tite, best known for country stations on the LNWR and LSWR. I’m afraid you won’t find it now, after the breakout from Normandy in 1944, it was destroyed in the fighting in the advance up the Channel Coast. You’ll spot the shelter on the opposite platform and the toilet block are later additions, far more at home.

E4104CE8-5D80-4CE9-812E-4477A99D7DA8.jpeg.644122f0f2d5c623cfc3ad7d212e8c6f.jpeg54AF18D2-128C-4B42-8868-06659A11D9A2.jpeg.a5513bad51b8ca4a12a7d3dba5172916.jpeg

It seems to have a family resemblance to Wansford, Nene Valley Railway.

CJI.

• Agree 2

William Tite seemed to have two distinct styles - one, neo-clasical - as Gosport, Nine Elms. Then we have (among others) Barnes and the original Putney Stations and Windsor & Eton Riverside in Tite's "railway Tudor" style.  The marriage of  Tite's version of French vernacular with railway-Tudor chimneys is very entertaining, and rather a surprise.  Tite is very much associated with early railway architecture which was a new thing with no obvious antecedents. There is a (briefish) essay about him and his work at https://journals.openedition.org/craup/5992 which includes Tite's work in France (Rouen- Le Havre). Although now remembered mainly for his railway work, he built a great deal else, including the Royal Exchange in the City of London.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

According to Pevsner, Citadel Railway Station (1846) at Carlisle is 'one of the grandest survivals of the railway mania years'. There is a useful description of the building on Historic England's website https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1196969?section=official-list-entry.

[Whenever I read "railway mania" I'm reminded of the 'Hunting of the Snark' which includes  ..."They sought it with thimbles, they sought it with care; They pursued it with forks and hope; They threatened its life with a railway-share; They charmed it with smiles and soap". As a small boy, I imagined Lewis Carroll's railway share to be something like a ploughshare].

• Like 4