Mobile Operations Manager

Foden

• RMweb Premium

I’ve heard the term used, often abbreviated as MOM.

But what is it? What do they do? What are the criteria for someone to hold this position?

How long has this been a railway position/term? I’ve only heard their term used in the last decade or so, what was the equivalent in years prior?

The role is a (mostly - not everywhere) 24/7 Operational first response giving first eyes at incidents and (theoretically) being able to implement actions to get trains moving (winding points etc.....) or level crossing operating locally or supplying Control with all the info they need to take further action etc, etc …….. They act as "Silver Command" at bigger incidents.  They were called Field Managers in RT days and fulfil many of the old ODS roles under BR days. They are located at key points on the system, ie Clapham Jn, Surbiton, Feltham, Woking, Basingstoke, Salisbury, Eastleigh, Yeovil Jn etc. on Wessex.

There is a audit element to the role - Level Crossings etc...….. 

Pretty much you own boss most of the time - getting involved in direct delivery of the railway - out and about - one of the better jobs on the railway IMHO.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

Mobile Operations Managers were introduced by BR in 1992 as part of the 'Organising for Quality' reorganisation. One of the purposes of this was to split 'retail' (customer facing) staff and operational staff. I became an SM (Station Manager) under the new regime and so was quite used to dealing with frustrated platform staff who previously were track certified and could nip down on to the track to wind failed points etc, and who now had to call for the nearest MOM to attend.

However, before this turns into another debate about the good old days, I should point out that in practice there is a lot of sense in ensuring anyone with trackside/safety critical responsibilities is fully able to focus on those tasks, and that staff dealing with customers are trained and focussed on that. The railway is a much safer place for workers now than in 1992.

Edited by andyman7
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

The railway is a much safer place for workers now than in 1992.

Undoubtedly. And I suppose privatisation might have been more difficult if the statistics from previous years had had to be taken on board by new owners, who would be accountable for a predictable flow of fatalities. But it certainly felt odd that simply donning an orange vest was no longer enough to allow you to wander around on the track at will, as I had been used to over the previous 20 years. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Employed by Network Rail, essentially MOMs are what used to be called Traffic Inspectors, although as mentioned above the duties changed with privatisation. In addition to Southernman's excellent explanation, they also act as RIO (Rail Incident Officer) for events such as fatalities, and once on site take over the safety of staff on site, including external agencies (eg the Police) from Control. In manual signalling areas they can also act as emergency Signaller relief. A good MOM is worth their weight in gold to Control !

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Excellent descriptions above although they have lost the crossing audit role, to Level crossing managers, they still check all signage is correct and gather evidence as usually first on site to an incident.
They are basically the Signallers equal outside the box, they are your eyes n ears on site and can get trains moving again buy chopping off branches, removing trespassers or animals, Pilotmen and on our region they are also bridge strike trained to assess and reopen if possible. 

Very useful when the milk is running low for tea too. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Previously Operating Supervisors or Emergency Supervisors in Regional Railways areas, MOM became a more universal term in Railtrack or Network Rail days. Prior to that they were Area Inspectors, or District Inspectors under BR. Very much hands on operators, almost always ex signalmen. I was  an Ops Supervisor for RRNE, I had ten signalboxes, 70 route miles, two dozen signalmen and 86 level crossings, mostly user worked, to look after. Despite the title I was usually addressed as "the DI". Ops Supervisors had line manager responsibility for the signalmen, Emergency Supervisors didn't, we were paired and on call week about for two adjacent areas, the EMs were usually on shifts at major centres.

Qualification for the job was usually quoted as "full rules, and able to stay awake for 18hours." Essentially, if it went wrong on your patch Control paged you first and you were expected to respond.

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

If you can find a 1992 BBC documentary called 'Old, Dirty and Late' about NSE operations in the Charing Cross/London Bridge area (mostly) it features prominently a MOM at work, essentially a first response guy for any situation that arises. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, John M Upton said:

If you can find a 1992 BBC documentary called 'Old, Dirty and Late' about NSE operations in the Charing Cross/London Bridge area (mostly) it features prominently a MOM at work, essentially a first response guy for any situation that arises. 

I’m sure I’ve seen that on YouTube at some point actually!