The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Anyone Interested in Old Spacecraft

KeithMacdonald

• RMweb Premium

This is a little exhibit in the Smithsonian Collection many might miss, but for me it is a really interesting one. As well as an interest in aircraft and space vehicles I am interested in space watches. The Omega Speedmaster Professional is genuinely iconic as the 'moon watch' (people don't generally think of the Seiko Pogue or the chronograph made by Bullova and used on at least one lunar mission as 'moon watches', and the excellent Fortis and verious Russian watches used by Cosmonauts have never had the same cachet), this is another moon watch. A Heuer stop-watch used in mission control, Houston, to time the flight of the Eagle landing vehicle. In its own way just as important and historic as the Omega Speedmaster but pretty much unknown.

Moonwatch.jpg

Edited by jjb1970
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

One of the exhibits in the Udvar-Hazy Centre I found most interesting was this one, as I'd never heard of it. It's an experimental Gemini re-entry vehicle designed to glide in and make a conventional runway landing using a large inflatable parasail. The idea is borderline bonkers and NASA retained parachute arrested re-entry for the Gemini and Apollo programs. I can't help thinking that packing a large inflatable glider wing, inflating gear, under carriage etc would add an awful lot more weight, complexity and potential for it all to go horribly wrong. Then again, when I looked at the regular Gemini capsule I couldn't help wondering whether anyone willing to strap themselves into it and launch themselves into space on top of a rocket was entirely sane.....the Gemini capsules were tiny, really tiny.

Gemini1.jpg

Gemini2.jpg

Gemini4.jpg

• Like 7

I cannot see how those rear wheels would retract (or extend for that matter) and the front wheel, well it is longer that the circumference of the nose.

So I am guessing it never got beyond the wild idea prototype that would be dropped out of the sky to see how it glided.

Found a video, there were a couple and they were towed but it was too complicated in the end and the speed at which the space program was going they got left behind.

Another detailed article here - very interesting https://www.popsci.com/paraglider-how-nasa-tried-and-failed-to-land-without-parachutes/

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

One of the exhibits in the Udvar-Hazy Centre I found most interesting was this one, as I'd never heard of it. It's an experimental Gemini re-entry vehicle designed to glide in and make a conventional runway landing using a large inflatable parasail. The idea is borderline bonkers and NASA retained parachute arrested re-entry for the Gemini and Apollo programs. I can't help thinking that packing a large inflatable glider wing, inflating gear, under carriage etc would add an awful lot more weight, complexity and potential for it all to go horribly wrong. Then again, when I looked at the regular Gemini capsule I couldn't help wondering whether anyone willing to strap themselves into it and launch themselves into space on top of a rocket was entirely sane.....the Gemini capsules were tiny, really tiny.

Gemini1.jpg

Gemini2.jpg

Gemini4.jpg

I remember reading about this - the Rogallo wing - in Meccano Magazine donkey's years ago. A dead end as far as spacecraft ae concerend but of course it became the universal hang glider.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 months later...

More Brits In Space!

RAF Corporal qualifies with U.S. Space Command -
A Royal Air Force Corporal has become the first from an overseas nation to qualify as an Orbital Analyst with U.S. Space Command. Corporal Mitchell Astbury is one of two RAF corporals assigned to the 18th Space Control Squadron (SPCS) at Vandenburg Air Force Base in California. In 2019 the RAF became the first international partner in the U.S. Space Command's Operation Olympic Defender, a US-Ied international coalition formed to strengthen deterrence against hostile actions in space.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/news/articles/raf-corporal-qualifies-with-u-s-space-command/

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/11/2022 at 12:09, jjb1970 said:

One of the exhibits in the Udvar-Hazy Centre I found most interesting was this one, as I'd never heard of it.

Have you seen the Haynes manual on the various spacecraft? They contain a lot of details you may not have seen before, the Gemini paraglider concept included. Definitely worth a read for any space buff. The only one I'm missing now is for Soyuz, seems to out of print and people asking stupid money.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

The thing looked barely big enough for it's occupant let alone somewhere to stow those rear wheels.

That's because it's a boiler plate for testing the concept, wheels were not part of the final design.

• Informative/Useful 2

6 minutes ago, 57xx said:

That's because it's a boiler plate for testing the concept, wheels were not part of the final design.

Think it was skids on the actual test - but the idea after having been blasted into space and returning via a rather hot method that the 'astronaut' would need to turn back into a pilot and hang glide the thing to the ground is amazing.

Ok, this is essentially what the Shuttle was but on a more modest scale, but still it was pretty out there as ideas go.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Think it was skids on the actual test - but the idea after having been blasted into space and returning via a rather hot method that the 'astronaut' would need to turn back into a pilot and hang glide the thing to the ground is amazing.

Certainly for the towed behind a car test, it was wheels, not skids. Skids were anticipated for the final evolution but I don't think they ever got there with using them.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Good news chaps!

Fresh Data From the Cosmos: NASA’s Voyager 1 Resumes Sending Science Data From 15 Billion Miles Away

They've rebooted Voyager 1 😀

Voyager 1, after overcoming a computer issue, has resumed sending scientific data from two of its instruments, with plans to recalibrate the remaining two soon. This marks significant progress in restoring the spacecraft, which is over 15 billion miles from Earth and requires over 22 hours for communications to travel one way. NASA’s Voyager 1 has resumed returning science data from two of its four instruments for the first time since November 2023, when a computer issue arose with the spacecraft. The mission’s science instrument teams are now determining steps to recalibrate the remaining two instruments, which will likely occur in the coming weeks. The achievement marks significant progress toward restoring the spacecraft to normal operations.

I'm stil in awe that this little 47-year old spaceship, with less computing power than we have now in smart watches, is still working. Sending the commands to recalibrate it, and having to wait 44 hours for the response - if there was any response at all - must have been nail-biting stuff.

https://scitechdaily.com/fresh-data-from-the-cosmos-nasas-voyager-1-resumes-sending-science-data-from-15-billion-miles-away/

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 months later...

Poor old Boeing.

Elon's SpaceX To Rescue Stranded Astronauts After NASA Dumps Boeing

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/nasa-selects-elons-spacex-rescue-stranded-astronauts-after-latest-boeing-debacle

I'm almost tempted to contact Top Gear and ask them to have another go at the Reliant Robin Space Shuttle.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Poor old Boeing.

The headline you quote is misleading. NASA hasn't "dumped Boeing".

This is in the "failure is not an option" consideration.

CNN: SpaceX Crew Dragon capsule to return Boeing Starliner crew to Earth

It's not clear exactly what the problem(s) with Starliner are - besides the failures of the attitude controls.

The Starliner vehicle, ... suffered setbacks with helium leaks and thrusters that abruptly stopped working on the initial leg of its first crewed test flight. ...

Five of the Starliner’s 28 “reaction control thrusters” quit working during the first stretch of Boeing’s test mission. All but one were eventually recovered.

No Boeing representatives were present at Saturday’s news conference. NASA indicated there was “a little disagreement in terms of the level of risk” compared with Boeing’s assessment, and the space agency did need work on its relationship with the company.

• Like 1