3 hours ago, 62613 said:

About 2% of the land in the U.K. is built on. Sometimes I do wonder if a blank cheque wouldn't be a bad idea, rather than the constant spoiling of the ship for a ha'porth of tar mentality abroad in our country; quite often when the project is just about to bear fruit. Before anyone comments, I do know from my lowly position that that's not how it works!

10% of England is built on. If you allow for the wastelands of the north, the figure for SE England must be very much higher. The south of England also has almost all of the productive agricultural land. Describing efforts to mitigate the damage as "a ha'porth of tar mentality" is just flippant and doesn't deserve to be taken at all seriously.

• Like 1

Wastelands of the north indeed.

I remember driving over Woodhead pass, Sheffield to Manchester (after a visit to Rails shop !!) one cold and stormy winters day around 2000. Dark clouds were quickly forming. One minute I could see Manchester in the distance, the next it started snowing, horizontally. It was a more than a bit scary. Visions of getting seriously stranded within sight of the UK's third largest city and eaten alive by wolves !!  Luckily I slid downhill to Tintwistle and safety as the road was closed eastbound.

Who says the UK is overcrowded !!

Oh, there was once an electrified railway up there, once the pride of British Railways. Trouble is it was 'oop north, so had to go.

poster%20britains%20first%20electric%20m

Brit15

• Like 9

Have a look at GSV for the M20 in Kent then see if you can spot HS1 running alongside, especially near Lenham and Charing.

I'm sure if Peter Hendy had a blank cheque he'd spend it wisely. He seemed to do well at TfL before the maniac politicians regained control

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

This video has just been posted showing the site where the concrete segments for the Delta junction viaducts are being made. 

As far as I can tell it:0's at the Northern apex of the triangle on what looks like a former sewage works on Google earth. 

Jamie 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 10/10/2024 at 18:59, locoholic said:

Go to Los Angeles if you want to see what a blank cheque looks like...

Did you read yje whole of the post; particularly the last bit, about my having some idea of how project engineering works, finance - wise?