• RMweb Premium

Indeed, it is not just litter on trains. Why do we have to have volunteer gangs of litter pickers? A friend used to say that there is a ring of discarded McD packaging around the town which defines how long it takes to eat a Mac in a car. And in a wood near here there is a seat dedicated to McPickers (I can't quite remember the term but you get the gist).

And I am afraid graffiti on trains is not just a British thing.

But back to the debate which I was guilty of fomenting. My question was not whether platform doors improve safety but whether the cost is less than the benefit - not just the actual clot of the doors, but the ongoing maintenance and other costs all of which will lead to a consequent increase in fares (or taxes)  which may drive people to other more dangerous forms of transport. One cannot look at these things in isolation, though I am afraid that many people do.  

To put it bluntly, there is not much point in saving one life a year on the railway if it results in ten extra deaths on the broads.

Jonathan

PS I agree that those ropes would just be a challenge to many British youngsters.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Indeed, that goes to the heart of some of the problems with trains (and indeed other public transport) in Britain, the users.

It isn't confined to the UK. I recall a news item in one of the trade mags (probably RGI) back in the last millennium about a mainland european system that had just proudly unveiled new trains with supposedly user-proof seating &c – the yobbos' response was to swing from the luggage racks and kick the ceilings in.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Graffiti is terrible on many mainland European railways, much worse than Britain. At one time I  used to see a few European railways as better than our own, these days I really don't.  Swiss railways are excellent and I still think we could learn a lot from the Swiss but these days they're a bit of an exception. 

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

The  Swiss  railways  in  the  north  of the  country  are  terrible  for  graffiti,  once  you  get  out  of  the  cities  heading  south  then  they  are  excellent.

Pete

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
On 29/08/2024 at 00:40, Pacific231G said:

All those passengers getting nervous about going under the sea perhaps (or is it just our beer swilling habits?)

Just the British having different habits from the French in that regard.  The mileage rundifference in adding fresh 'tea bags' (which made the flush water look nicer and 'cleaned' it to some extent) puzzled SNCF who immediately put it down to les Anglais having weaker bladders than their own natives.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

I remember the slam door stock, when people would pile off the train at stations, especially at peak hours, with most of them leaving the doors swinging open.

If nobody was getting on at any particular door, that door remained open and the guard, or the sole member of platform staff, would have to rush down the platform to shut it.

Talk about delayed departures !

The number of injuries (to people standing on station platforms) from open doors was quite considerable and sliding doors prevented that long before they became power operated.  Power operated doors, with a traction interlock, have been a major advance in safety and in reducing dwell time.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
Just now, The Stationmaster said:

Power operated doors, with a traction interlock, have been a major advance in safety and in reducing dwell time.

Yes but as @david.hill64 pointed out, adding platform doors increases it again.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

itter free throughout the day. Similarly anti-social behaviour at night (let alone during the day) is so rare it stands out.

I can criticise things about UK trains but I have every sympathy for train companies trying to keep on top of litter and damage to trains, dealing with graffiti, having to deal with anti-social behaviour to protect both their staff and passengers etc. Those are societal issues, not train company issues. When I used to commute using London Midland they did a very good job keeping the trains clean but it was an ongoing task and as soon as cleaners restored them back to good order litter, discarded newspapers, empty coffee cups etc would rapidly start accumulating.

Some recent trips on MerseyRail have seen the new Class 777 units well presented with very clean interiors. Each  train has a very visible conductor on board along with screens in each vehicle showing the CCTV recordings being made, a great deterrent to anyone thinking of misbehaving!

Likewise stations are staffed (booking offices) and ticket inspectors are frequently seen getting on and off trains having checked peoples tickets providing a very visible and mobile presence.

Stations and trains are clean. Many have well kept floral displays and some have information boards relating to local history. The one at Maghull tells the story of Frank Hornby.

I sense the staff have great pride in their network.

777012 at Port Sunlight.JPG

Frank Honby info board - Maghull Station.JPG

Edited by 1E BoY
word units added
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Meanwhile back on topic Sushila and Caroline have phoned home from their underground lairs. Caroline seems to have paused for maintenance, probably at one of the vent shafts.  However Sushila dug over 300 metres in the last 17 days and is now at the 85% mark.  At this rate she should arrive at Greenford in about 51 days so late October. 

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Colne Valley Viaduct.

As of Friday morning.

999 segments installed with the final one left to place into position.

Whether the final segment was installed today, or whether they're leaving it for some sort of ceremony, or PR event next week, I don't know.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

5 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Cuemaster has videoed it with the final segment sitting just north of Dominique. 

Jamie

A rather elegant structure when you look at it, and a tantalising little gap! There is some brilliant engineering going on in this project

Edited by 62613
punctuation; additional words
  • Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 62613 said:

A rather elegant structure when you look at it, and a tantalising little gap! There is some brilliant engineering going on in this project

I do hope that the solitary segment actually fits. It would be rather embarrassing if it didn't. However as you say a fabulous bit of engineering. 

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

This video shows a bridge under construction between the Chiltern North portal and Wendover Dean viaduct. Once complete the trackbed will hopefully appear quickly. 

Jamie

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

The final segment of the Colne Valley Viaduct was installed with a PR event, scheduled for today.

It could have been done last Friday, but they clearly held fire for today's pre-planned occasion.

2754163ca6e7453dac7f9ac7e2a6ee3d.jpeg?wi

b18a1cbb506140eab82f4f360b549189.jpeg?wi

56b98003f9b44577a5a7629727177ec4.jpg?wid

fc859821a0674bd991a19771ad670242.jpeg?wi

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1