• RMweb Gold
On 24/08/2023 at 23:02, melmerby said:

Even the piers for the incoming viaduct seem to be advancing at snail's pace.

If it's compared to those being built at the southern end, there's no contest.

Two of those piers were there a year ago - snails could probably do the job more quickly.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

No slow down of HS2 construction work in this next video.

(Speeded up, time lapse 😇)

Activity at Calvert, filmed only a few days ago, including views of the EW Rail embankments being built up to the new HS2 and adjacent road bridges. 

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

A brief view of the West Ruislip tunnel portal site, courtesy of YouTuber, Mr B0tt0m.

Note the conveyor belt system, bringing out spoil from the twin tunnel bores, being dug by the 2 TBM's "Sushila" and "Caroline", which have now excavated 1.6 miles and 1.25 miles respectively.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Some more tunnelling updates/   Yesterday Florence and Cecilia gave reports and Florence is now at 12,770m, nearly 80% of the drive done.  Cecilia is at 75%.  Both are going at 19m or more per day.   No news from Caroline and Sushila but Mary Anne on the Bromford drive updated today at 118 metres out of 5600.   Dorothy should be launching soon for her third drive in the other Bromford tunnel but this time with a new cutter head.  

As to poo old Lydia, I think it's time to go to Scotland Yard and file a Misper report.

Jamie

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/08/2023 at 13:29, jamie92208 said:

As to poo old Lydia, I think it's time to go to Scotland Yard and file a Misper report.

Poo💩??!! 😀 I think poor old Lydia may have been buried alive.

https://www.railtech.com/all/2023/08/22/dude-wheres-my-tbm-hs2-buries-tunnelling-machines-until-theres-money-for-euston-stop/

Great movie ref along with the suggestion the TBM is in fact just a very big time capsule being buried 🤣

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ruggedpeak said:

Poo💩??!! 😀 I think poor old Lydia may have been buried alive.

https://www.railtech.com/all/2023/08/22/dude-wheres-my-tbm-hs2-buries-tunnelling-machines-until-theres-money-for-euston-stop/

Great movie ref along with the suggestion the TBM is in fact just a very big time capsule being buried 🤣

I hope he gets his tongue out of his cheek eventually.  Just one point, there are three TBM'buried under the Channel.  All three British machines took a final dive and are entombed under the tunnels. 

It's probably a good thing that he hasn't cottoned on to Lydia. It's almost 3  months since the last update. Even

At 10 metres per day we should be hearing news of the tunnels completion soon. 

Jamie

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

How's that Colne Valley viaduct coming along ?

With that music, I thought I was watching the start of a 1970s Mafiosi film - so the next sequence is of someone getting buried in the concrete of one of the supports ;-)

Yours, Mike.

• Funny 6

21 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Remember when William Woolard presented Top Gear a TV program about cars rather than an entertainment program with cars! Standards are slipping.

Wasn't it Cliff Michelmore or someone like that originally, or am I thinking of another programme?

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, 62613 said:

Wasn't it Cliff Michelmore or someone like that originally, or am I thinking of another programme?

That sounds right and there were female presenters as well, it wasn't a petrol heads speedfest

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, melmerby said:

That sounds right and there were female presenters as well, it wasn't a petrol heads speedfest

No - but it wasn’t exactly a ratings puller and got scrapped as a result.

A large part of why the Clarkson, May and Hammond version got the go ahead (and pulled in huge quantities of viewers) was precisely because it wasn’t the same boring dross that had gone before…..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

No - but it wasn’t exactly a ratings puller and got scrapped as a result.

A large part of why the Clarkson, May and Hammond version got the go ahead (and pulled in huge quantities of viewers) was precisely because it wasn’t the same boring dross that had gone before…..

I think you'll find that's not correct.

It was a ratings winner and ran for 14 years but was pulled when the ratings dipped, although still reasonable, when some headline presenters left. (Clarkson was one of them)

Towards the end it had already changed format with more emphasis on speed and less on boxes on wheels.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, roythebus1 said:

The Victorian brick-built tunnels on the Metropolitan railway have lasted a lot longer. 160 years is it?

Indeed they have - but equally there are still examples of Roman concrete dating from before the birth of Christ still standing to this day.

Basically all depends on whether the structure is in tension or compression and the ability of the material to resist moisture.

Besides the Victorians weren't allays successful with their structures - I seem to recall reading that when building Farringdon one of the retaining walls gave way due to water pressure as insufficient attention had been paid to its strength.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

35 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

examples of Roman concrete

I suppose the Pantheon in Rome is perhaps the most famous of these structures. Still largely in its as-built form, especially the dome which is unreinforced concrete 43m across.

There are plenty of railway structures that date back to the building of the original lines. One favourite of mine is Brunel's brick arch bridge over the Thames at Maidenhead with the famously flat arches.

Yours, Mike.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Indeed they have - but equally there are still examples of Roman concrete dating from before the birth of Christ still standing to this day.

The amphitheatre in Pula, Croatia is good example of Roman concrete. Well worth a visit.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1