4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Another video that shows the entrance to Copthall tunnel.  It looks as if Harvil Road is going to be reinstated on it's original route right across the top of the tunnel mouth.  It should make a great vantage point for videoing trains crossing the Colne Valley Viaduct. 

As Bob says, you’ve got it totally the wrong way around, Jamie.

That video is over a year old and way out of date.

The original route of Harvil Rd. can be seen in the video, with traffic moving on it.

The re-routed road on a new alignment, has been open for months and the original (old) route has largely been dug up and vanished, as the new trackbed crosses it.

The new route should indeed  provide a good vantage spot, unless barriers are installed later on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I headed into London using Chiltern yesterday.  From what I could see (too many very leafy trees in the way), it looks as though Dominique has now moved forward from the position shown in recent videos, allowing work to start on the next arch.

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Another video of the current state of play on the Colne Valley viaduct (CVV). Some very good footage of segments being moved. 

They also seem to have reverted to the usual balanced span construction method. 

Jamie 

Think that the time line is right this time...... 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Some very good footage of segments being moved. 

That’s as good as a professional quality production and a superbly composed and edited video.

The segment movement is rarely captured and I see from the response to one of the YouTube comments, SimonC  is pleased he finally got that footage.

7 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

…….They also seem to have reverted to the usual balanced span construction method. …..

To be expected after the insertion of the latest expansion section.

You can clearly see one end of the expansion joints in the video.

I expect the other expansion joint will appear when the segments from the pier being built off, connect with the expansion span.

Incidentally, there’s a clear view of the re-aligned Harvil Rd. passing over the trackbed, at the end of the video.

The original route is now obliterated, somewhere in the foreground.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The TBM's have all phoned home recently. 

In Birrmingham Mary Anne is now at 2538 metres having dug 45%.   Elizabeth, formerly Dorothy is now at 286m and going at just over 9m per day

From West Ruislip  heading South, Sushila is at 5814 and 74%, with Caroline at 527 doing 19m per day.

Heading north from Old Oak, Emily has passed the 1000m mark  and Anne is getting into her stride at 761m  going at 13m or just over 6 rings or 42 segments per day. The West Ruislip segments are coming from Grain. I think that the Old Oak ones are from Hartlepool.  The ones from Grain come with 24 rings per train, enough for 36 m of tunnelling. Last week Sushila and Caroline were using over a train load per day. 

Jamie

• Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

The scene between the tunnel portal at West Ruislip and the eastern end of the Copthall "green" tunnel.

This is the stretch alongside the Chiltern line.

The conveyor that takes away the spoil from the Northolt West tunnels can be seen.

This will be the first bit of HS2 above ground in the open air, after leaving central London.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, david.hill64 said:

Some speculation in the papers today that the new government will reinstate phase 2.

Reeves was asked about this in the Q&A session after her speech this morning. All she was prepared to say was that she would never commit to anything without being able to say where the funding was coming from. There was no further elaboration.

John.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

A video that could do with some subtitles of progress near Birmingham. The first section is Washwood Heath to Curzon Street. At about 01.15 there appears to be a diversion of the Camp Hill lines near Saltley, under construction. Presumably to allow the over ridge towards Curzon Street to be built.  The remaining footage appears to be the Delta Junction area. 

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, stewartingram said:

sport presenters who can talk drivel for hours

That's part of the job description.

Cricket commentators have made it into an art form on the radio...

Yours, Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

5 hours ago, david.hill64 said:

Some speculation in the papers today that the new government will reinstate phase 2.

It seems to be 'refuses to rule out' from a couple of them.

Holding breath whilst waiting for clarity not advised.

• Agree 3

I would be extremely surprised if UK Plc could afford it as there are going to be a number of other arguably more precious things to sort which will easily trump the train set I am afraid. I am still sceptical as to who is going to use it anyway given what the fares maybe ie a premium on top of 1st Class ? 

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, mac1960 said:

I would be extremely surprised if UK Plc could afford it as there are going to be a number of other arguably more precious things to sort which will easily trump the train set I am afraid. I am still sceptical as to who is going to use it anyway given what the fares maybe ie a premium on top of 1st Class ? 

UK Plc never had to afford it - all the money was being borrowed against the value of the line. Which is why the cancellation and subsequent finding of a pot of money was a load of rubbish.

I'll let others explain the fares thing to you, but you are going to be told it's about capacity, not getting people to Birmingham faster, so buckle up...

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 5

Well currently I am paying 1st Class Wakefield to London on the day North of £300 so how much more will you be paying for the HS2 journey pro rata. As for borrowing money I am aware how you finance large projects. As for capacity how about making existing trains longer ? As for buckling up I will be as boarding a plane to Munich then Muscat so sat in lounge hence afternoon typing on here. Toddle Pip got to go.      

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

2 minutes ago, mac1960 said:

As for borrowing money I am aware how you finance large projects.

Obviously, which is why you think there is a big pot of cash to pay for HS2, rather than borrowing against future income as is actually the case.

4 minutes ago, mac1960 said:

As for capacity how about making existing trains longer ?

All you have to do is make the platforms and loops longer along the WCML. You're not the first person to suggest this and there are plenty of far more detailed explanations as to why this is pretty much impossible. Even if you did, how would it increase capacity for freight, something HS2 will do by taking fast trains off the existing lines? 

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, mac1960 said:

As for capacity how about making existing trains longer ? 

Long enough, one could get on the train at the buffers at Euston, walk along the train, and get off at the buffers at Glasgow Central, without the train turning a wheel.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

42 minutes ago, mac1960 said:

Well currently I am paying 1st Class Wakefield to London on the day North of £300 so how much more will you be paying for the HS2 journey pro rata. As for borrowing money I am aware how you finance large projects. As for capacity how about making existing trains longer ? As for buckling up I will be as boarding a plane to Munich then Muscat so sat in lounge hence afternoon typing on here. Toddle Pip got to go.      

When you get to Muscat give me a call and we can talk meet to talk about it.  I have never understood where the money is or isn’t coming from and what given it is about capacity, that it isn’t a London to Birmingham commuter railway.

Oakhill

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Now now, no politics please.

And on finance for major projects, the new government has already warned that there is not much money in the kitty.

Not, as explained above, that that should have affected the financing of HS2, except that interest on borrowed money has to come from somewhere until the assets start earning.

I shall be surprised if even Gobowen to Oswestry gets reopened - as promised a few weeks before the election.

Jonathan

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1