Dapol DCC Cleaner Truck

JST

I have bought one of these and fitted it with a Hornby decoder. The instructions give dire warning not to run the motor at more than 9v. That is fine, and this may be a daft question, but how do I know what voltage the motor is getting?

I have given the decoder an address and yes when I wind the controller up the motor runs faster but I have no idea what voltage it is getting. I am using a Hornby Elite with Railmaster Pro.

Any ideas gratefully received.

• RMweb Gold

You could use CV5 to set a lower Maximum voltage, although that depends on you being able to alter CV5 on your particular decoder. However setting that accurately depends on you knowing the track voltage of your Elite.
As an aside that sounds like a pretty poor design to me unless the cleaner has high drag and this is an attempt to limit current draw.

Edited by BoD

You probably need to buy a more sophisticated decoder, like a Zimo.

CV57 on a Zimo allows you to define the Maximum motor voltage (in volts) independent of the track voltage. For example setting CV57 to 90 would set the max voltage to 9V.

I'm sure that there would be similar settings on decoders from ESU, etc.

Regards,

John P

Interesting. Dapol say that any decoder will do so how they expect you to be precise about the voltage remains a mystery - maybe I will email them. In the meantime I set the Elite about half power which I guess is less than the magical 9v. I must say I was gobsmacked by the amount of crud the vacuum picked up in just one tour of the layout. I have some tunnels and hidden sections which are a bit of a pain to access to clean manually which is why I bought this cleaner and so far it's performance has no disappointed.

Butler Henderson - I note your comments and will follow your advice. Thanks.