Mains Gas Pipe - Rail delivered, but what wagons?

LBRJ

Back around the early years of this century the mains gas around the Newquay area was installed/upgraded.

The pipe itself (the long yellow plastic stuff) was delivered to St Blazey yard for onward road transport to the actual sites.

The rather open question is what sort of bolster wagons would most likely have been used  for this traffic?

• RMweb Premium

I would guess at BDA or a derivative of, like BEA or possibly BTA which were the ones used on the steel pipe runs Hartlepool to Scotland.

Any idea on what diameter those pipes were?

They tend to coil some of the smaller stuff up, but I don't think it would be within the loading gauge....

• Thanks 1

Not related to the original query, but there is a construction site not far from me that had a significant quantity of similarly sized pipes to what LBRJ stated delivered, although I suspect these are for water rather than gas.

They came in a fleet of tarp-top containers, 42U1 for those who know/care about such things, and were unloaded by crane after removing the tarp from three sides of the container top. The pipes are bundled together by a rectangle of wood inset from each end, and are/were possibly strapped together too.

For the original query, would bolster wagons have been used to carry such small diameter pipe?

1 hour ago, dvdlcs said:

although I suspect these are for water rather than gas.

That would depend on the colour - the pipes used are otherwise the same.  Pipes for gas works tend to be yellow, while the ones for water tend to be blue.  I think 300 mm (1') diameter pipes seem to be the most common.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dungrange said:

That would depend on the colour - the pipes used are otherwise the same.  Pipes for gas works tend to be yellow, while the ones for water tend to be blue.  I think 300 mm (1') diameter pipes seem to be the most common.

They are officially colour coded so it is definitely yellow for gas and blue for water.  Green has been used in the past for cable (i.e data type cable in residential areas) but some round is now being laid with pink (!!) cable.  There are also official requirements regarding use of colours for marking when surveying sites or planning out work - yellow for gas, red for electricity, and blue for water.

1 hour ago, Dungrange said:

.................. Pipes for gas works tend to be yellow, while the ones for water tend to be blue.  ..............

I guess it's compulsory ........................ OK - The Stationmaster beat me to it !

Could pink ducting signify fibre optic rather than electric data cable p'raps ?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wickham Green said:

I guess it's compulsory ........................ OK - The Stationmaster beat me to it !

Could pink ducting signify fibre optic rather than electric data cable p'raps ?

The pink is a new one on me and I presume it is actually fibre optic cable,  But where we used to live fibre optic cable was installed in green conduit so maybe the colour has changed or maybe pink is used where the actual cable is buried rather than being put in conduit?

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

The pink is a new one on me and I presume it is actually fibre optic cable,  But where we used to live fibre optic cable was installed in green conduit so maybe the colour has changed or maybe pink is used where the actual cable is buried rather than being put in conduit?

I hope it is shocking pink, otherwise it might confuse the local mole and bird populations....

Back on topic, 30' lengths would be a bit short on BDAs, so could they have been transported in OBAs or similar?

• Like 1

If one bit is going to be wrong, its my memory of the pipes...

They could have been 40 or 50 feet long sections, and 18 inch diameter but they were definitely transported on something like "BDA" wagons - I wish I had paid much more attention at the time, but how many times do we end up saying that!

The problem is that if they were 50 foot long, they would have been a very long load for onward road transportation.  An articulated tractor unit may pull a trailer with a 40' or even a 45' container, but that is about as long as you're going to get on the roads in this country.  I don't think 44 tonne articulated vehicles were road legal until 2001, so I'm not even sure that 45' containers were common before then, so I'd be surprised if the pipes were any longer than 40'.  Personally, I'd have thought it may be more likely that there were two shorter lengths on the same wagon and the BDA type would seem a plausible suggestion.

I worked on a construction site for a while 25+ years ago and at that time, I think the plastic water / gas pipes were supplied in six metre (20') lengths, but as you say, I didn't pay too much attention at the time and I haven't been on a construction site in the last 20 odd years.

• Like 1

Ahh good man for posting those from what is now the very depths of Cornish history*!

I thought someone somewhere would have a picture related to the job in question.....And it just shows you how crap ones memories actually are!! :D

* just realised in another thread that its 15 years since they re-doubled the line at Burngullow.......

I note that there seems to be five pipes per wagon, three on the bottom and two on the top.  Given that the bottom layer seem quite close to the edge of the wagons, I'm assuming that means that they are either 600 mm (2') or 750 mm (2'6") diameter pipes.  They also look to be about as long as the distance between bogie centres (40').