• RMweb Gold
On 05/06/2024 at 21:46, Michaelaface said:

Hello, I have preordered the new Hornby black 5 with sound and smoke, I’m slightly worried that the model will have their terrible tts recordings, does anyone know if the D&H or ESU decoders will be able to control the steam function 

(asking here because it’d be the locoman black 5 sound I’d get to replace)

The steam function should work as the chuff templates operate the “fan control” which should pulse the ultrasonic steam/smoke generator.

cheers

Tony

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, zr2498 said:

Hello Alessandro

Can I ask another question about Black 5 sound. I have the Caprotti version of the new Hornby Locomotive. Before fitting sound, I wanted to check if there would be any differences to the sound profiles for the Black 5 with this valve gear.

As I already have 3 of your decoders for Black 5s, I was looking to use the 'alternative' or the 'worn' version.

Dave

Hi Dave

I’m very familiar with these two Black 5 projects for Alex and have been testing them quite a bit in my own layout.  The alternative version would be good for the Caprotti 5 as it has quite sharp exhausts that are characteristic of poppet valve locos.  The worn version is a little different in that it has the chuffs altered slightly to represent worn piston valves and sounds good as a conventional Black 5 that hasn’t been overhauled for a while.

Hope that helps!

Tony

Edited by trw1089
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, trw1089 said:

Hi Dave

I’m very familiar with these two Black 5 projects for Alex and have been testing them quite a bit in my own layout.  The alternative version would be good for the Caprotti 5 as it has quite sharp exhausts that are characteristic of poppet valve locos.  The worn version is a little different in that it has the chuffs altered slightly to represent worn piston valves and sounds good as a conventional Black 5 that hasn’t been overhauled for a while.

Hope that helps!

Tony

Hello Tony

I appreciate the feedback, so will get the 'alternative' ordered for the 5 Caprotti, together with a standard 5MT sound decoder for a Bachmann model.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Evening @Locoman58 - just looking on your website and not seeing any D&H projects. Is this temporary or have you dropped them from your range?

The site was reporting a clearance on D&H decoders so I get the feeling hes gave up with them.

• RMweb Gold
On 26/07/2024 at 23:52, peterm1 said:

As someone that's never had anything to do with D&H, what's wrong with them?

Nothing wrong with them. I used these (8 pin in loco) in the old model of the Hornby Black 5 as it could fit into the smokebox, unlike the ESU which was a tad too wide.

The advantage of ESU nowadays, is the auto loading of function symbols and the base & treble tuning capabilty with updated firmware.

• Like 1

On 25/07/2024 at 18:25, Kaput said:

The site was reporting a clearance on D&H decoders so I get the feeling hes gave up with them.

I just emailed him re this and he has stopped, frustrating cause if I'd known that I'd have bought more than one in that clearance sale, I really like the D&H decoders, to me they sounded better (and were easier on the bank account) than the esu and zimo ones I have, guess I'll give esu another go

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

As one who has used both ESU and D&H, both are good decoders, but D&H are limited in some functions, and there is very little English documentation.  Ultimately there are two things that make a good sounding decoder (other than the speaker and the sound file developer, but that’s a whole other can of worms), one is the quality of the recordings used to make them and the other is the ability of the decoder itself to reproduce them in high enough quality.  Both ESU and D&H do the latter, the former is only possible when people like Locoman spend a lot of their own time and money to collect them. 

Cheers

Tony

Edited by trw1089
Clarity
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, trw1089 said:

As one who has used both ESU and D&H, both are good decoders, but D&H are limited in some functions, and there is very little English documentation.  Ultimately there are two things that make a good sounding decoder (other than the speaker and the sound file developer, but that’s a whole other can of worms), one is the quality of the recordings used to make them and the other is the ability of the decoder itself to reproduce them in high enough quality.  Both ESU and D&H do the latter, the former is only possible when people like Locoman spend a lot of their own time and money to collect them. 

Cheers

Tony

I’ll have to experiment with speakers a little more I guess, I only use locoman sounds these days (they just sound better)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/08/2024 at 23:55, Michaelaface said:

I just emailed him re this and he has stopped, frustrating cause if I'd known that I'd have bought more than one in that clearance sale, I really like the D&H decoders, to me they sounded better (and were easier on the bank account) than the esu and zimo ones I have, guess I'll give esu another go

Agree they are/were a really good price - I've got 4 fitted at the moment and a 9F to do. Locoman sounds are the best sounds I've heard for 'depth' even using relatively small speakers and Locomans Royal Scot project is the first I've heard that really captures the aggression of Stanier 3 cylinder beat. 

• Like 1