Heljan class 28

class29returns

Mine too! 5711 & 5714 both with reverse polarity, have changed over the wires in the plugs at each end coming ffrom the pickups, not easy to release the wires from the plug with their fitting, use a very fine screwdriver and push it in from the wire side to release the wire with fitting by gently but firmly pulling, and swop over. This keeps the lights working correctly for direction of trravel on normal DC.

Pity this was necessary.

Interesting to know if it matters when chip fitted?

I just slid a scalpel blade under the clip that holds the terminal in it then just pulls out.

• RMweb Premium

Getting a decoder in was more problematic then I expected. As others have said, getting the body is more difficult than other Heljan loco's, apart from the 14,15 & 17. It looks t like they have used a thicker moulding. Chucked in a TCS T4X I had spare and found that the body didn't fit back on. Fortunately the wires were long enough to place it over the bogie. I was rather surprised after, other comments, when it hared around the track at tremendous speed. Soon reigned it in by adjusting the settings. Had no problems with the lighting and overall, rather pleased with it's performance and looks.

My D5705 arrived today and I am very pleased just looking at the thing, have not had a chance to run it yet though.

An impressive model overall with an awful lot of small detail on that rather sparse underframe between the bogies, another nice touch being the distinctive power controller wheel in the cabs.

I've been looking forward to this since 1984 when I saw a rather folorn looking "Object" sitting in Swindon works shortly before it moved to Peak Rail for the start of its restoration...despite being born in 1971 and raised on a diet of 33's, 47's and 73's the Co-Bo's have always fascinated me ever since reading Brian Haresnapes fleet survey books (purchased of course from Dave Cleal's "Mainly Trains" when he had the shop in Chandlers Ford)

My only tiny gripe is a missing horn, but as I cannot see where it is supposed to fit it probably won't be an issue, I might be able to use one of the others to replace the more obviously missing one on one of my Hymeks....I reckon someone at Heljan must have a laugh leaving one out of the stuff they sell me...its a conspiracy! :laugh_mini:

• RMweb Gold

Picked my D5708 up yesterday, completely agree that the Hattons photos don't do it justice, its a sublime model in the Heljan Hymek/15/26/Kestrel/Lion class. The underframe plumbing is a very nice touch, must look at my peaks and 47s in this area, is does capture the realism a bit more. I hope the 23 is of the same quality.

Should I get D5705? she languished at the back of Bristol Bath Road for much of 1976 and nearly met its end when some local yobs broke in and set fire to her bogies. A real case for one being on the WR, but a non-runner of course!

Neil

Edited by Downendian

The photos here are really flattering the old wonderloaves. Much looking forward to seeing the pair ordered by a friend who is currently out on the briny. If some specimens go fast, and others are rather slow, it occurs to me we may have some of the manufacturing variability that has been noticed on past Heljan chassis. Possibly with a little running the slow specimens will 'find their legs'.

Now for the Baby Deltics...

I notice my post has been removed. Ok, I think they are as ugly as sin and clearly were designed by a blind person (just like the '70s), I admit that that might be getting a waring (I as going to stop soon anyway) but what did I say that was so offensive?? hmmm?

People are taking what I said in jest a bit too seriously methinks.

Edited by 303013

Very nice indeed, but like others, mine is wired ar*e about face.

Just in the process of rejigging it when Mrs BR walks in inquiring why I am taking a brand new £125 model to bits.

When I explained, like she said, why should I have to do it, and went off on one if it was a tele etc etc etc! :nono:

Daren't tell her next stop is the weathering shop!

• Like 1

OK, by rotating the red/black wires on the top of the circuit board, mine now runs to the correct polarity.

Bit fiddly but easy to accomplish.

I CANNOT seem to get the lights to work in the right direction, despite swapping the plugs around, if I transpose the light plugs (marked R&W) on the circuit board nothing happens, or do I have to remove each wire from each plug and reverse them?

I have even taken the circuit board out and 'reversed' everything!

Anyone any ideas as having paid a ton and a quarter my sense of humor is starting to run out.

Edited by BlackRat

Having to change the wires round on a new loco costing £125.00 and people finding bits fallen off in the box seems a bit much for me.

I was considering bying one but if I have to start messing about with the wiring then won't that invalidate any warranty ?

May have to visit hattons in person and ask to see if its running, if it goes the wrong way surley its up to them to sort it out not me.

• Like 1

I notice my post has been removed. Ok, I think they are as ugly as sin and clearly were designed by a blind person (just like the '70s), I admit that that might be getting a waring (I as going to stop soon anyway) but what did I say that was so offensive?? hmmm?

People are taking what I said in jest a bit too seriously methinks.

Yes, several stupid and immature posts were removed including racist comments. Think yourself lucky you weren't automatically banned but it appears you think you'd overstepped the mark anyway so why do it?