Heljan class 28

class29returns

Very nice indeed, but like others, mine is wired ar*e about face.

Just in the process of rejigging it when Mrs BR walks in inquiring why I am taking a brand new £125 model to bits.

When I explained, like she said, why should I have to do it, and went off on one if it was a tele etc etc etc! :nono:

Daren't tell her next stop is the weathering shop!

i have to say i agree with her! 

if you paid 20 quid for an old knackered one from a bargain bin then fair enough.

i'm sure you're a skilled modeller and know what you're doing, but part of that high purchase price is a manufacturers warranty.

rtr locomotives must be the only electrical device we seem happy to purchase brand new for hundreds of pounds then happily hack into them with screwdrivers if they're faulty on day one! 

ready to run should mean exactly that. 

Edited by johny retro

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

No, its not.

I can remember when my dad got me the HD version, back in the 1970's after I saw TDB968006, aka D5705, at Bristol Temple Meads. That model saw only limited use on our layout because it was heavy and as Arthur has noted it drew alot of power, not to mention that when it did run it made a growling noise that upset my mum because it was so loud.

With this Heljan version I guess the HD version will be retired, although I will keep it. However I do admit that I have thought about reworking it but as it is in original condition it may be best to put it on display.

Your Hornby CoBo has lost most of its Ringfield Magnet strength through ageing. Here is a tip:   change  the old magnet for a modern Dublo compatible replacement SuperNeo magnet from ebay or elsewhere, then, prepare to be absolutely amazed by the unstoppable  power and slow-speed running of those Dublo mechanisms!

Edited by Pandora

Those neo-magnets are good but I did encounter one problem, with a Hornby Dublo (so called) Southern electric. In this case, the motor runs perfectly well with the new magnet but the magnet is also attracted very strongly to the tinplate sides, This does affect the ability to run reliably, as the motor bogie tries to remain firmly 'glued' to one side or other.

The above should not be a problem with the Co-Bo!

Edited by SRman

Your Hornby CoBo has lost most of its Ringfield Magnet strength through ageing. Here is a tip:   change  the old magnet for a modern Dublo compatible replacement SuperNeo magnet from ebay or elsewhere, then, prepare to be absolutely amazed by the unstoppable  power and slow-speed running of those Dublo mechanisms!

Or if you want it re-magged PM me.

Stewart

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of decades ago I built a remagnatiser for my school CDT (remember that?) project. It worked quite well, though it looked ugly. They aren't too difficult to make and were very handy. I've never tried them on anything other than Wrenn or Hornby Dublo magnets though.

• 1 year later...

some of my locos will run one way some the other, its a thing thats never bothered me,

but for those who it is a problem for, this may be of interest. just noticed this on mine

IMGP6108.jpg

Hattons are aware of the issue re the polarity and have kindly supplied this link:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ec1gewKNUVkFkssmLsoto3olUxLT6X_9_a2r74sGSN8/edit?hl=en_US&pli=1

Its an easy job to do, 5 minutes or so, BUT, if you are not confident about doing it, dont attempt it and send it back.

Just to resurrect this topic..... I didn't realise about the polarity issue till I got a second class 28 for Christmas and spotted the sticker  saying "polarity corrected" which the first one doesn't have. The link above no longer works. Does any body have the details of what I need to do to correct the first one please?

Also does it affect the loco when been used in DC, DCC or both?

Many thanks

Ian

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

£100 seems very reasonable. I think I have enough 28s but if one were to be done with wrap-around front windows I would change my mind.

I know what you mean but I imagine that won't happen.Still it's a fine model of a delightfully eccentric prototype.Remember when first built they worked in multiple pairs on St.Pancras-Manchester trains....and I think to and from London Road as it then was via Stoke & Stenson Junction when the WCML was first in the throes of 25v AC "modernisation" and a return trip on this route was meant to take traffic pressure away from Crewe.

• Like 1

Just to resurrect this topic..... I didn't realise about the polarity issue till I got a second class 28 for Christmas and spotted the sticker  saying "polarity corrected" which the first one doesn't have. The link above no longer works. Does any body have the details of what I need to do to correct the first one please?

Many thanks

Ian

If using DCC you can change the polarity of the decoder to correct the running direction.

Many thanks

Ian

For DC follow the wires from the bogie pickups to the the plugs on the PCB, remove the plugs and swap the connections over in the plugs.

Edited by bigherb

I know what you mean but I imagine that won't happen.Still it's a fine model of a delightfully eccentric prototype.Remember when first built they worked in multiple pairs on St.Pancras-Manchester trains....and I think to and from London Road as it then was via Stoke & Stenson Junction when the WCML was first in the throes of 25v AC "modernisation" and a return trip on this route was meant to take traffic pressure away from Crewe.

No, I don’t think it will, not for £100. Oops! £110, now!

After several years hoping for a quality RTR Co-Bo model to be produced I have held off buying these as my (still unbuilt!) Derbyshire Peak District based layout would require models featuring the original wraparound windows - and I would buy 3 or 4 of them !

I even asked the chap at Extreme Etchings if there was a case for him to produce a "de-furbishment" modification pack but he suggested it would be too difficult because of the curves in the design.

Would there be any interest in crowd-funding a new bodyshell ?

As an aside, I was always under the impression that the window mods were part of the major rebuilds c.1961, but there are pictures of class members in store at Trafford Park shed awaiting works entry (in all over green) all having the revised window design which I found to be a revelation (see separate Trafford Park MPD diesels thread for links)

Edited by Holmesfeldian

As an aside, I was always under the impression that the window mods were part of the major rebuilds c.1961, but there are pictures of class members in store at Trafford Park shed awaiting works entry (in all over green) all having the revised window design which I found to be a revelation (see separate Trafford Park MPD diesels thread for links)

As the windscreens had a habit of dropping out I got the impression from somewhere they where modified at their first overhaul.

• 3 months later...

In the Modern (!) Locomotives Illustrated No. 226 that covers the Co-Bos, on page 56 there is a photo of D5704 on a Manchester - St Pancras passenger train at Cheadle Heath with the new windows, but no small yellow panel. That is the only photo I have ever seen of one of these locos actually in traffic in that particular livery, even though it is available in model form.

After several years hoping for a quality RTR Co-Bo model to be produced I have held off buying these as my (still unbuilt!) Derbyshire Peak District based layout would require models featuring the original wraparound windows - and I would buy 3 or 4 of them !

I even asked the chap at Extreme Etchings if there was a case for him to produce a "de-furbishment" modification pack but he suggested it would be too difficult because of the curves in the design.

Would there be any interest in crowd-funding a new bodyshell ?

Hi

I'd be interested in a crowdfunding if it's any help

Thank

Alan