Heljan class 28

class29returns

Guest 838rapid

Cheers guys.lol

Yeah i have got a dodgy camera.

It looks different. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Shall try and get a few better pics,just got home from work.

The body is metal,and it has quite modern motors inside it,one on each bogie.

Just like the real thing it seems toi like sitting in sidings

Guest 838rapid

Have discovered the "macro" button.

Whoops

Here are some more pictures,hopefully it might give a clue as to what the base model is.

The body is thin metal.and the battery box is made of shaped metal sections

post-7937-127495332794_thumb.jpg

post-7937-12749533461_thumb.jpg

post-7937-12749533772_thumb.jpg

post-7937-127495340215_thumb.jpg

post-7937-127495343483_thumb.jpg

post-7937-12749534635_thumb.jpg

post-7937-127495349454_thumb.jpg

post-7937-127495352382_thumb.jpg

Definitely a Dave Alexander kit, I have a couple of these and they are the only kits I have built that have defied all attempts to get them to run properly, latest moderately successful attempt involvs two motor bogies. Seems to me to be a shame to put completely fictitious liveries on these, but to each his own....

Just noticed Hattons Class 28 info has been updated - Item 2800 D5700 in Full BR Green now shown with MODIFIED windows - so NOT as delivered with wrap round windows!

I thought it was to good to be true.

I spoke to the guys from Hattons and Heljan last saturday and they said it WAS having wrap rounds, so this is quite curious indeed....

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's an automatic weathering machine, with slots to do 2 Co-Bos at once.

Is that a kettle I see in the background? :O I realise green Co-Bos ran alongside such things but surely not the RF grey ones? :lol:

• RMweb Premium

Is that a kettle I see in the background? :O I realise green Co-Bos ran alongside such things but surely not the RF grey ones? :lol:

rolleyes.gif

I'm glad to see that a few kettles were also retained in service when these pictures were taken, presumably around Carnfroth.

EDIT: is that some sort of Wonderloaf servicing kit in the background, too? wink.gif

http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=33375 - makes it pretty clear.

Now to decide...cancel order or not?

No, not yet anyway........

I was chatting to Elvis Presley near Box tunnel the other day, and he told me that the first 350 will have wrap round windows after all.

The lack of proper glass story is apparently some sort of ruse by Hattons because the pre-orders for D5700 have been massively over subscribed by legions of Metrovick fans. B)

http://www.ehattons.....aspx?SID=33375 - makes it pretty clear.

Now to decide...cancel order or not?

I'm actually a bit relieved by the lack of wrap around windows on the earliest models.

The logical way (i.e. cheapest) to do this would have been to have the body molding with the wrap around. The glass insert would be wrap around for the original. The later variants with the flat front windows would have the rounded "plug" molded as part of the window insert. Just paint the outer edge of the glass plug with the body color. That might have left a seam on the models with the modified windows.

Of course, that sort of shows my hand in regards to which wonder loaves I ordered...

• RMweb Gold

I'm glad to see that a few kettles were also retained in service when these pictures were taken, presumably around Carnfroth.

EDIT: is that some sort of Wonderloaf servicing kit in the background, too? wink.gif

Ha so Mr Chard- is Carnfroth the home depot for all wishlisted locomotive classes?wink.gif ?

Indeed it is, Carnfroth (code 36DD, page 3 of the current Locoshed) is presently heaving under its allocation of Blue Pullmans, NBL Class 21 and 29s, seventeen pre-groping ScR tender engines, TransPennine DMUs, 120s, Highland 24s with working headlamps from actual Morris Minors, Gloucester twins, ready-to-plant lattice post signals with lights and sound, and DCC smutty innuendo wink.gif

• Like 1

I wonder if Hattons or Heljan will be upgrading the 28 at the NRM ?

Spotted last week [forgive if this has been posted before and I've missed it...]

Regards

Nick

post-1261-127607036051.jpg

• Like 2

Just noticed Hattons Class 28 info has been updated - Item 2800 D5700 in Full BR Green now shown with MODIFIED windows - so NOT as delivered with wrap round windows!

I thought it was to good to be true.

A little bit miffed as I specifically placed my order after querying this issue with Hattons who assured me the early model would have the original cab windows, which I also thought was too good to be true, given the extra cost that would be incurred in producing both versions. The web site now clearly states D5700 will have the modified (later) windows and their original(?) press release also says the same. However, well done Hattons for commissioning the model, I'm sure it will be a success and I'll keep my eye on the site just in case but in the meantime someone else can have my green one.

00ERMissus, have you seen post #118 in this thread? It's being suggested that D5700 with wrap-round windows is already sold out in pre-orders. Hattons did say that this one would only be 350, with a larger number available for the other versions. So even if there will be a small batch of 'curved', now we can only order 'flat fronts'. Presumably the slightly higher price for D5700 may well reflect the additional costs involved in making it in a different form from the others. (I know, I should have learnt how to quote a post before chipping in here, but hope this helps!)

Edit - just re-read the news item on p. 10 of Hornby Mag 37 - July 2010 - the higher prices are for the weathered ones. There is room for confusion - the news item says D5700 in BR green as delivered. Does this mean that is has the livery in which it was delivered, or the structural form? Hattons seem to have given two different opinions on this one!

Richard

Edited by orcadian
  • Like 1

00ERMissus, have you seen post #118 in this thread? It's being suggested that D5700 with wrap-round windows is already sold out in pre-orders. Hattons did say that this one would only be 350, with a larger number available for the other versions. So even if there will be a small batch of 'curved', now we can only order 'flat fronts'. Presumably the slightly higher price for D5700 may well reflect the additional costs involved in making it in a different form from the others. (I know, I should have learnt how to quote a post before chipping in here, but hope this helps!)

Edit - just re-read the news item on p. 10 of Hornby Mag 37 - July 2010 - the higher prices are for the weathered ones. There is room for confusion - the news item says D5700 in BR green as delivered. Does this mean that is has the livery in which it was delivered, or the structural form? Hattons seem to have given two different opinions on this one!

Richard

You’re right this is confusing and thanks for your comments. However, I can only go by what is stated on the order that I made online with Hattons - the description for which they have now amended to read: Class 28 Co-Bo Diesel D5700 Full BR Green - with modified windows (Due First Quarter 2011).

The three offending words were not there when I placed the order as it then stated ‘as delivered with wrapround windows.’ It seems they’ve now been unwrapped! I’d be interested to know if anyone has reserved this version online and not had theirs amended. Looks like another phone call to Liverpool. Very confusing - time for a pint of Old & Filthy, me thinks!!!:P

To wraparound or not to wraparound?

Further to the saga of the Hejan 28, this is what I have received from Hattons this afternoon in writing:

Thank you very much for your enquiry. In answer to your question, all of our Class 28's will now have "flat" windows. It is the case that originally we were going to have curved windows but this has now changed so that all have flat windows. Therefore, there will be no Class 28's being produced with curved windows. I hope this answers your question. If you have any further enquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

So, end of story?

Yeah, I think so.

Shame, I like the wraparound look better, but we're getting an up-to-date Class 28 so that's good.

And what's the betting that someone will produce some wraparound windows for it sooner or later? Not exactly a drop in replacement as it will involve some hacking about, but plenty of after-market mods require that anyway.