Getting more detail from Old-Maps.co.uk

• RMweb Premium

I was a bit puzzled when the enhamced zoom facility disappeared as the guide, tutorials and FAQs continued and still continue to refer to the facility. I emailed them three times to ask if it was an error or a permanent change but got no reply.

I can understand that, as a commercial organisation, they are there to make money and not perform as some charitable institution. However, I think that an alternative solution may have been to offer a facility whereby one could pay an annual fee for access to the enhanced zoom and I would certainly have considered using such a facility. I have found it quite fascinating to follow the change and development of communities across the country but to do that by purchasing each and every map is really not feasible. As I have said I can appreciate the arguements as to why the facility might be withdrawn but they may have been able to create an alternative income stream by using a subscription process.

David

Speaking of maps one of these days I'm going to sit in the library at uni and catalogue the maps we have there. There is a large collection of maps - many of which are almost certainly copies of the ones old-maps have scanned.

If I ever do it then I'd happily provide photographs of any of them that are >50 years old.

I

UK tax payers may have funded them. Not all residents are tax payers, and not all tax payers are residents!

As previously mentioned, the OS is supposed to supply items at zero cost to the exchequer, therefore there is no reason why they should supply anything free.

I'm quite happy about both the categories you quote being able to access material that I've paid for. What I object to is having to pay for (twice in the case of the OS) material that I've already subsidised, but as successive governments have been forcing us to do this for years, I suppose I ought to lay back and enjoy it!

I am not advocating the extreme measures proposed by the OP (now deleted) but I don't see why out of copyright mapping that has been digitised at the taxpayer's expense should not be available for viewing at full scale for research purposes in England & Wales as it is in Scotland.

I must admit to using a screen grab of the preview and then viewing that offline with a zoom facility to see if the information I want is viewable before returning to purchase a download which offers more definition.

Being of an earlier generation i am used to going into the local O S agent and purchasing both printed and digital (floppy disc!) formats although the staff there got used to my building up a collection of linear maps of both the Plym Valley line and East Somerset Railway for planing purposes.

If you want it be prepared to pay for it.

Wally

• RMweb Premium

If you want it be prepared to pay for it.

Wally

As I said, why not make the zoom facility available by subscription and make some extra money rather than just cutting it off.

David

• 10 months later...

As I said, why not make the zoom facility available by subscription and make some extra money rather than just cutting it off.

David

Thought I'd bump this back up, as I've just noticed the "Enhanced Zoom" button is back, but you have to subscribe to be able to use it. £9.99 per month, just plan out what you will need for the foreseeable future, pay your £9.99 and spend a few evenings and a DVD-ROM or two downloading...

• 1 year later...

Old Maps has changed again.

A big plus is the ability to scroll. There is a full screen option ( works in Chrome but not in AOL) Also there are extra maps available for some area ( some 1:1250 scale) But there is less scope to enlarge - even "ctrl +"  And the copy url is not available so apologies for broken links in some of my posts

• RMweb Premium

Hi Keith

That sounds interesting.

I was drawing attention to the stash of large scale town maps that are available for the whole of Scotland and free to download.

Not just Scotland! The large scale mapping of London is superb, and overlayed on current aerial photography with fade controls to go from one to the other.

Keith

I was not aware that the same applied to England, perhaps just London? Have you a link?

Regards

Ray

Old Maps has changed again.

A big plus is the ability to scroll. There is a full screen option ( works in Chrome but not in AOL) Also there are extra maps available for some area ( some 1:1250 scale) But there is less scope to enlarge - even "ctrl +"  And the copy url is not available so apologies for broken links in some of my posts

Yes - noticed this the other day, all the old dodges are now obsolete :-(

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Hi Keith

That sounds interesting.

I was drawing attention to the stash of large scale town maps that are available for the whole of Scotland and free to download.

I was not aware that the same applied to England, perhaps just London? Have you a link?

Regards

Ray

Try this,  http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=5&lat=55.7424&lon=-2.955&layers=163  use the 'zoom to this map/map series' link on the left panel first or it loses the selection, that will bring up the london area as a white blob which you can then zoom into with the '+' control.

or go in through the front page of the nls site and select the 'geo referenced maps' then you can choose from quite a big list although not many are large scale.

Keith

Archived