Hornby W1 Hush Hush

truffy

2 hours ago, zr2498 said:

The Hornby box was loaded to a larger rather flimsy outer box with no bubble wrap or packaging of any sort.

It would seem that the outsourcing of the packaging as been a case of get them out fast as you can but without due care and attention.

Yep, that's how mine arrived, delivered by Hermes and dispatched by ccl-logistics (info from the email notification I received).

A Hornby supplied box then loaded into a larger flimsy box. No bubble wrap or anything else to stop the inner box moving around as the package makes its way through the Hermes supply chain! 

HornbyBoxInOuterBox.jpg.f15a46d452a0c121a9f8d44058fb870d.jpg

I have received items from eBay sellers better packaged!

I just hope Hornby gets compensated by their logistics provider. (Oh, the joys of outsourcing eh?)

Guess, I'm one of the lucky ones?

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Railsnail said:

Yep, that's how mine arrived, delivered by Hermes and dispatched by ccl-logistics (info from the email notification I received).

A Hornby supplied box then loaded into a larger flimsy box. No bubble wrap or anything else to stop the inner box moving around as the package makes its way through the Hermes supply chain! 

HornbyBoxInOuterBox.jpg.f15a46d452a0c121a9f8d44058fb870d.jpg

I have received items from eBay sellers better packaged!

I just hope Hornby gets compensated by their logistics provider. (Oh, the joys of outsourcing eh?)

Guess, I'm one of the lucky ones?

Yes fortunately mine was okay, but this seems to be how all the ones ordered from Hornby have been sent out.

Then being bounced around in the mail can’t be good for finely moulded smoke deflectors etc.

Any damage I think is due to the way it has been packed rather than the likes of Hermes.

Hornby need to quickly get to grips with the way these orders are packed.

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, rprodgers said:

Yes fortunately mine was okay, but this seems to be how all the ones ordered from Hornby have been sent out.

Then being bounced around in the mail can’t be good for finely moulded smoke deflectors etc.

Any damage I think is due to the way it has been packed rather than the likes of Hermes.

Hornby need to quickly get to grips with the way these orders are packed.

Entirely Hornby's fault - if you are going to outsource fulfilment, you must include a detailed packing specification in the contract documentation.

I suppose there may have been such a spec. that was ignored, but .......

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 10

37 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Entirely Hornby's fault - if you are going to outsource fulfilment, you must include a detailed packing specification in the contract documentation.

CJI.

Spot on! As always, the devil is in the detail...

Edited by Railsnail
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Mine’s just arrived.Well packed and tested from Derails and intact,praise be. Delivery by RM and deposited in the porch by postie. I think I can see how this damage occurs. The cradle / bubble seems designed in such a way that a packer might force the model ham fistedly in …probably hurriedly…at the factory. Lax or non existent QC compounds the breakages.  This problem with Hornby seems endless unfortunately. They know there’s a problem but either lack the Will or wherewithal to rectify it. A pity because it undermines the company image but it does appear from their inertia that it’s a shrug of the shoulders,let’s accept we’re going to get a percentage of duds and consequent gripes from our customers,approach. They still make damned fine models though and hats off to their R&D team for this rather special model

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

CJI.

I ordered one of the Coronation Scot coaches directly from Hornby recently and it arrived with some bubble wrap around the coach box, which was fixed to a large rectangular piece of foam with elastic bands and then inserted into the outer box. As such, I don't think the coach itself could move around within the outer carton and had a degree of protection. The outer box had "GFM" branding on the parcel tape.

It seems odd that Hornby would have specified a lower standard of packaging for a £200+ loco than they would for a coach costing about a quarter as much.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

I've received mine, thankfully safe and sound from MRD (in a nice big box with bubble cushion packaging).

I think the problem is that unless the bogie is properly aligned it doesn't sit down in the space designed for it, meaning when the clamshell is closed up, the stresses are placed on the deflectors. A heavy bump from the right (wrong) direction could be the point when they break off.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Entirely Hornby's fault - if you are going to outsource fulfilment, you must include a detailed packing specification in the contract documentation. avoid Hermes like the plague.

CJI.

Fixed :)

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Fixed :)

Nope - Hermes are by far the most efficient and caring courier in this area.

As I have already posted recently, home delivery service is a function of the character of the operative.

In-transit damage should rarely be possible if careful packing practices are adopted at all stages of despatch and delivery.

CJI.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Amazing, isn't it - Hornby have just enjoyed the biggest TV publicity opportunity in years; and then demonstrate that they can't even deliver their products to their customers in one piece!

Would it be too much to expect Hornby to come here and explain how this debacle was allowed to occur, and what will be done to replace the damaged models?

( I'm not holding my breath - and yes, that is a challenge, Hornby)!

CJI.

• Like 6
  • Agree 7

43 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Well, lucky you. In my experience Hermes are the worst of all. Their Customer Services are abysmal. they are deliberately obstructive and its impossible to speak to a fellow human being.

• Agree 2

Received R3840 this afternoon. Immediately realised something was wrong before I even took it out of the box as it rattled and there was a big bulge in the inner plastic tray. The drawbar screw surrounding in the tender has snapped off into a couple of pieces (only found the other piece after I took the photo!)

I don’t think this happened in transit - hence the bulge in the packaging. It seems to me it was probably forced into the plastic packaging at the factory. That said if this was the case, you would like to think that the person who packed it before posting to me would have wondered why the box was rattling so much and investigated!

It kind of adds insult to injury that the only reason that I had to order from Hornby was because they cut my local model shops order in half at the last minute. Out of my last 4 Hornby orders, only one has been okay and I still needed to glue a couple of bits of detail back on. Always had a soft spot for Hornby but it is a bit embarrassing for them when you consider that my last 5 orders from other manufacturers have all been flawless straight out of the box!

8B2EEAEF-ABA3-4528-B2EA-5F61811CAB87.jpeg

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

As I have already posted recently, home delivery service is a function of the character of the operative.

In-transit damage should rarely be possible if careful packing practices are adopted at all stages of despatch and delivery.

CJI.

They are only as good as their weakest link and with so many horror stories on the internet, and personal experience, they have weak links and a fair few missing links. Several times I have had to use CCTV to try and work out where a parcel has been LAUNCHED. The company doesn't give a monkeys - I have offered the CCTV to show exactly what their couriers get up to and they aren't remotely interested.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

CJI.

Still come 8th of 9 in the parcel league nationwide.(13K plus responses)

UPS is by far the worst at nine.

DPD is top

A company I purchase from use APC (not in the list) and they are extremely good.

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

A poll attached to this thread would be interesting:

"Did you receive your Hush-Hush Undamaged?"  YES/NO

That’s only going to work if the lucky recipients post. Most won’t bother whereas the unlucky ones most likely will . 
Another consideration is that RMWEB and its members don’t necessarily represent the whole body of lucky/ unlucky punters buying one .and some members here do not post in any case.  Beware the silent majority 

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Adding content
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Anybody tried Kadees on the tender?

The mount is so far underneath that a #18 doesn't even poke out under the corridor.

Looks like a #20 might be needed, the longest I have is a #19.

Yes and you'll need a 20.

2 hours ago, RJ82 said:

Received R3840 this afternoon. Immediately realised something was wrong before I even took it out of the box as it rattled and there was a big bulge in the inner plastic tray. The drawbar screw surrounding in the tender has snapped off into a couple of pieces (only found the other piece after I took the photo!)

I don’t think this happened in transit - hence the bulge in the packaging. It seems to me it was probably forced into the plastic packaging at the factory. That said if this was the case, you would like to think that the person who packed it before posting to me would have wondered why the box was rattling so much and investigated!

It kind of adds insult to injury that the only reason that I had to order from Hornby was because they cut my local model shops order in half at the last minute. Out of my last 4 Hornby orders, only one has been okay and I still needed to glue a couple of bits of detail back on. Always had a soft spot for Hornby but it is a bit embarrassing for them when you consider that my last 5 orders from other manufacturers have all been flawless straight out of the box!

8B2EEAEF-ABA3-4528-B2EA-5F61811CAB87.jpeg

Yes  - I had pretty much the same damage on one of my A2/3s - I really can`t see how that happened in transit.