Chippenham - The Work Bench

Bluemonkey presents....

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Have you finished your Aero wagon yet?

I’ve already finished mine

IMG_9736.jpeg.7bd40ef077fcfc0aec729be45346f711.jpeg

🤪

Well, as it's well and truely the panto season . . .

"Oh no you have'nt !!!" 🥳

Personally, I'm completely incapable of not finishing any chocholate bar once opened.

Hope you enjoy it soon Chris.

Best,

Bill

Edited by longchap
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Have you finished your Aero wagon yet?

I’ve already finished mine

IMG_9736.jpeg.7bd40ef077fcfc0aec729be45346f711.jpeg

🤪

Beautiful. Not sure I can match that exquisite livery and finish but hopefully will be wafting an airbrush at it and the GWR 5 plankers today, so tomorrow should be done. May be not the crates as that strapping detail really makes me itch when painting each one. 🙃

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

As always there have been a couple of builds on the go together. The Aero had been waiting for the open 5 plankers to catch up to ensure best use of the airbrush on GWR freight grey. As usual if was a long struggle to spray correctly but thankful, again, overcome.

This meant the Aero wagon could be completed today as promised. Whilst paint was drying the original open had it's load of barbed wire increased. Here are the resulting wagons for your critique. First up the open wagon WD #19854. A Slaters end door opening 6 planker. Originally in black as I am stupid and did not check.

DSCF0038.JPG.10c0359d1cb8e767ee0a7303f012d71f.JPG    DSCF0039.JPG.7808db606f9544dff6780d87010f9aaa.JPG

DSCF0040.JPG.2db6a00f549939900777c722ac903099.JPG The load is small new coils destined for the frontline.

And the wagon that is currently hot stuff and just in time of Easter! the Aero. (mint please, yum). I decided to keep the decking as bare wood. Even if not 100% accurate I really think it makes the wagon look even better. Just need some super detailed and wagon specific transfers to add before a light weathering. 

DSCF0041.JPG.fb43f2eee73892c41a545fb1de0eddf7.JPG   DSCF0042.JPG.ced681df5aa044659aefdf20617a8557.JPG

Crate load, not fully finished but highlights the wagon in loaded running and shows how precise the design work is. The loads really do not need fixing and I am confident that they will remain in place when I finally run them on a layout. 

First up single crate load.

DSCF0043.JPG.062205bb4a9d501554a4235d0bf0083b.JPG    DSCF0044.JPG.2cef9e8d81ada6d65b2441c898ab7a7f.JPG

Fully loaded 

DSCF0045.JPG.999b3013fc937302cae3bdf109c79115.JPG    DSCF0046.JPG.d57bf2bafe1ad189fda3035e100cac44.JPG

DSCF0047.JPG.d3f1afda18c142fc1d75d5f5b8689df3.JPG

And finally the pair in a running pose.

DSCF0048.JPG.c762b2600f19d7bda4c49af1425b8fe3.JPG

Edited by Bluemonkey presents....
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

The painting has certainly brought them to life 👍

I have to agree regarding the timber decking I think it looks the part

Hope you manage to get the transfers you need to finish the job.

Steve @railtec-models is really good, unfortunately everyone else knows this so he tends to be very busy. Worth the wait though

PS. I gave Sarah the mint aero out of my selection box, sorry about that

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well itchy Wednesday arrived and has now passed. I may have over done the weathering. I was looking for a well used/worked set of crates but will have a brief touch up with a dry brushing of a light wood colour.

DSCF0058.JPG.b7e6a3b52a4ea3d78c02054c08628fa4.JPG    DSCF0056.JPG.7efcee125a41a1ac432138f6c39197fc.JPG 

DSCF0057.JPG.90c3a93494e240d246e8e3c628fc3ca6.JPG    DSCF0059.JPG.ea3755551803925a4f20446cea1c69ca.JPG

Couldn't resist adding a very light touch of rust and grim to the Areo trestles and a little to the W-irons in prep.

DSCF0051.JPG.b31ae6f9407bc10f9624cd25c3881b1b.JPG    DSCF0052.JPG.0b405e65ea6984e617ce3d1bcfe728b3.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I very much like this brace of wagons, including the "textures". I.e. the barbed wire and the timber decking.

Matt, can I ask how you painted the decking? Apologies if you have described it before, I couldn't find mention of it. 

Edited by Mikkel
To clarify
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

I very much like this brace of wagons, including the "textures". I.e. the barbed wire and the timber decking.

Matt, can I ask how you painted the decking? Apologies if you have described it before, I couldn't find mention of it. 

Thanks @Mikkel I don't think I have described the latest attempts.

I have used three methods in the past year. They are all very similar but using different colours.

The latest on the Aero decks and the engineering open decks bases heavily on the set by Ammo MIG. The colour set is 'Tool Colours' ref A.MIG-7112. The set features 3 colours, New Wood A.MIG0037, Light Wood A.MIG0038 and Old Wood A.MIG 0036.

Undercoat the wagon in general grey primer. Then in the case of the Aero I used Old Wood completely over the decks. The engineering wagons had a mixture of all three colours picking out individual planks. Once fully dry I completely cover wash with Citadel Agrax Earthshade. Leaving to completely dry then adding a wash of Citadel Nulan Oil. In the case of the Aero I picked one plank before everything dried and with the wet brush rubbed until the original old wood colour was very visible. Then let everything completely dry. 

Everything was then dry brushed with Gun Metal, A.MIG 0045 (handily in the same set as the wood colours), being careful not to apply too much or at all to the single lighter plank. Then another wash of Nuln Oil. The engineering wagons received a dry brush coat of a rust colour, sorry I forget which on but possibly Shadow Rust A.MIG0043, again in the set with the wood colours.

Additional washes of Agrax Earthshade and Nulan Oil can be applied to deep the usage appearance.

The other method is pretty much the same without the set colours. In order of application and leaving to dry completely before next step;

Primer light grey (Halfords car general spray primer).

Paint all timber Faded Sinai Grey A.MIG066, possibly requiring a second coat.

Wash with Agrax Earthshade.

Wash again with Nuln Oil.

Dry brush Faded Sinai Grey A.MID066.

Dry brush Gun Metal (earlier I used Humbrol 53 but now exclusively A.MIG0045)

Wash with Agrax Earthshade.

Depending on the appearance required or what's produced any of these steps can be repeated, doubled and added to the list.

It can be a long drawn out process but is simple enough with a fairly decent final appearance (to my eyes). Hope that helps, I have not tried it on van sides or any other vertical wood so the outcome could be somewhat different for this given the angles.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Thanks very much Matt, very useful!

The MIG range is great isn't it, think I will try the set in your latest approach.

Edited by Mikkel
  • Agree 1

I'll return the thanks for the tutorial on painting woodwork as I'm quite alright with painting wood to look like it's just come from an archaeological dig, but tend to struggle with new or nearly new timber like the decks of the aero wagons would be.

As for the crates, the problem will be similar, but at least we can look at modern pallets and boxes for inspiration.

wooden-crates-stacked-v2-e1667257946962.jpg.e44469c311b3a6b6d5f27abc4e994331.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Picture
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

tried to lighten the weathering using 'new wood' colour A.MIG0037 from the same paint set. The left side crate has been dry brushed with this colour the right hand side crate has not. The camera is not really picking out the subtle differences but it is lighter and 'newer' in appearance. In fact this is more of the look I was originally hoping for than before, a crate that has been in service for a number of months, hopefully showing signs of soot, dirt and general grot from being used all over the rail network. The metal work had to be retouched as well. Really happy with the final result I just need to be able to paint another two sets to match these and then another two will be much newer looking in appearance.

AeroWagonweatheringlighter.JPG.6910a4e38dc24a8f1da8e54afee3eefe.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

Posted (edited)

The so the conveyer belt cranked up.

20240106_142012.jpg.e6ca05a6ee313aee8e116d40ed796688.jpg

I think it took me nearly an hour to carefully unwrap the incredibly well packed pieces.

Bearings to glue in then will be left for the primer to harden before attacking the decks and base coat the crates.

Edited by Bluemonkey presents....
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

. . .  so the conveyer belt cranked up.

From the look of that workbench, someone is having way too much fun !

Well done that man, including Chris for proving that a modeller makes the best model kits.

Edited by longchap
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

The so the conveyer belt cranked up.

20240106_142012.jpg.e6ca05a6ee313aee8e116d40ed796688.jpg

I think it took me nearly an hour to carefully unwrap the incredibly well packed pieces.

Bearings to glue in then will be left for the primer to harden before attacking the decks and base coat the crates.

It took nearly an hour to wrap them too 🤣

• Funny 1

1 minute ago, longchap said:

The use of the B verb sounds ominous for the tenants of your workbench Rob. Hope they survive the onslaught, particularly the 517.

That's exactly it. I'll clear the bench off and line up the projects in order. It's the only way to progress things and not lose any bits and pieces, which is how many of us end up buying two or three of the same part, only to find them again just after the new one arrives...

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately, I have the tee shirt. My last example was when my Iain Rice 4mm chassis book played hide and seek last month and after some extensive searches, I ordered a well used, workshop smelly, but cheap temporary replacement. The day it arrived, the original exposed itself, but that's anothet story !

• Friendly/supportive 2

Likewise, this afternoon I have washed and polished the Memsahibmobile and whilst removing a few bits of parking stubs from the ashtray, I found the new horn push contact brush I thought I had lost.

I bought and fitted another one about three months ago...🙄

• Friendly/supportive 2