Chippenham - The Work Bench

Bluemonkey presents....

1 hour ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

Ah, thanks Nick for the info.

I may have to engage a little rule 1 here then, shame.

Though not all.

There is a photo of a brown K15, still with lookouts, in "The Great Western Railway in the 1930s", volume 2.

According to the caption it is likely to be one of three numbered 1082-1084, allocated to a Trowbridge-Manchester working between 1923 and 1928. In the photo the van is at the head of the 7:45am Penzance -Crewe train, which it had joined at Bristol Temple Meads. 

The book has a second photo of this train, on another date. In this one the K15 is also brown, but the lookouts have been removed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, Nick Gough said:

Though not all.

There is a photo of a brown K15, still with lookouts, in "The Great Western Railway in the 1930s", volume 2.

According to the caption it is likely to be one of three numbered 1082-1084, allocated to a Trowbridge-Manchester working between 1923 and 1928. In the photo the van is at the head of the 7:45am Penzance -Crewe train, which it had joined at Bristol Temple Meads. 

The book has a second photo of this train, on another date. In this one the K15 is also brown, but the lookouts have been removed.

Hi Nick,

This is excellent news and perfect for my chosen location (If I ever get chance to build the layout).

Thank you so much I really appreciate you digging out the information, I could I guess do 3 and cover all potential numbers 🤪

Thanks again this has restored the want of a brown one.

• Like 4

Door and grab handles removed as are the steps on the coach end. I read on article online somewhere where someone had completed this conversion as well and noted adding a cut line to represent the gaps between coach sides and doors. So I tried this and primed the whole thing to see the effect and if I need to remove anything further.

DSCF0365.JPG.0d855e01228600c5596d8d39a8e4e63d.JPG     DSCF0366.JPG.173b2437ba63e01f3ea6ab0e93377e75.JPG

DSCF0367.JPG.d17d21c7c927497c0ffa971a687015b0.JPG

Seems to have come out nicely. The replacement handles should disguise any obvious damage to the paneling from detail removal.

Ends with brass replacement buffers, interior and chassis painted black. In my haste I have forgotten to add new steps to the coach end along with emergency brake pull (or at least I think that is what I shall be modelling). Better get some vac pipes on the go as well.

DSCF0368.JPG.3e001a5b30051772e2eb7bcf487dfb2c.JPG

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

No modelling since getting a little bit told off on another forum. I only asked a question about how the roof gas pipes leave the roof. Never mind there has been some other very serious going ons.

The work bench has moved rooms. All indoor animals are now housed in a single warm/hot room. The empty room has been gutted and completely reworked and redecorated to provide a purpose office/study. Apart from work and normal home admin stuff the sole purpose of this space is modelling and research. A proper hobbit hole for me with a dedicated wirk bench and seperate paint bench. I feel genuinely very lucky to be able to have this space but there's more! I found a way to make the loft space suitable to house a layout (I hope) and have suitable access to be able to sensibly use it although there is still some major construction required and it will not be a room for pleasure and comfort more of practically having my long planned layout. Fingers crossed and watch this space. The old Chippenham layout thread could spring into life in the coming months or at least next year.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Matt. Those sound like good developments. I'm especially glad to hear that Chippenham may still be a possibility.

As for the roof pipe issue, can someone on here help you maybe?

47 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Hi Matt. Those sound like good developments. I'm especially glad to hear that Chippenham may still be a possibility.

As for the roof pipe issue, can someone on here help you maybe?

Thank you.

I have decided just to go with it. I can not do the pipes until The roof is in place if I am to model this and having destroyed the part built coach in my move I have time enough to think about how to achieve it or just to do the roof pipes and leave it there.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I'll be very interested to hear the outcome of the gas pipe query. It's something I'll need to know for a few of my future builds and possibly for the Siphon C that is languishing in the "To finish off one day" box. I really need to check if they still had gas lighting in the mid 30's.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Things are finely moving here, by that I mean the professionals have final arrived arrived and are doing their things. I have taken receivership of the new office "cough" modelling room. I would throw in some pictures, as I feel very privileged to have a large dedicated space for my hobby (and work of course), but feel it's a little gratuitous. 

Moving on..................

I have decided to use the this picture as a base source for the K15 brownie.

GWRK1540ftcoachNo933.jpg.d587bfc8ff334d1064c3675d63b14fef.jpg

Unable to identify if/how the gas lighting pipes left the roof to the below tank I am just modelling the main pipes and using modelling compromise to allow for this lack of detail. Additionally it certainly is not a model to celebrated it's purpose is 'layout stock'.

I used 20 thou plastic rob to represent the pipework, previously I have used 0.45 brass wire but felt this unnecessary and besides wanted to experiment with how flexible this rod can or cannot be. Using hot water I persuaded the rod into right angles for the length ends and fixed with cement. The water was a success although I have my suspicion that it was not required as I tried a dry run with the same results. The fixing cement seemed to split one angle but with the plastic soften it was easy enough with a blade point to re-round the plastic.

DSCF0374.JPG.ca300e070a3199961982c5e9ce102618.JPG    DSCF0377.JPG.2d44fbd20f3689c94c7b54ee7a0f417a.JPG

Coach body has also been rebuilt, after it was smashed apart during the room move. A central support has been added but this is mainly to add a compartment as the K's kit is surprising robust for aged plastic.

I have had a happy accident with the Railmatch paint. This seems to have cracked a little whilst drying giving the appearance of aged finish, this will be kept for this coach. Note to self continue to use other manufacturers colours!

DSCF0375.JPG.16634011f2261c03af4bc710afb13e0d.JPG    DSCF0376.JPG.a1c5171cfcacc5a620d329f4c8b2380b.JPG 

The floor is not fixed yet. It has been shaped ready and is made out of flimsy plastic as it is solely for the darken of the interior purpose rather than actual floor. the kit does not come with any flooring. This will be fixed once I am happy with the roof position and grab handle fixing, hence the flimsy nature in order to be able to flex enough to glue and seal the box.

Now for the Dean bogies 🤪

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Roof has turned out nice, just some darker grey and we're there.

DSCF0385.JPG.c0a347ede18120b1ad1529eb3c1a910b.JPG

Dean 8'4" bogies from Roxey ready for priming. I have left the hangy things on has these (I think, if I have ready the instructions correctly) hang from just under the solebars of the coach to ensure I have the correct amount left to simulate without fouling the bogie. The castings on one bogie are not as good as the others but if necessary a scrap piece of plastic will sort it. It's all black after all.

DSCF0382.JPG.46df97e663d9edbe4d9d6e02f2d01369.JPG

DSCF0383.JPG.671e2557922e4520d48a028a9e75d90e.JPG    DSCF0384.JPG.b9062822dcd41d521d5ca3981ad61c32.JPG

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

Wow, looks very good Matt. Thanks for the tip about bending the plastic rod, I wouldn't have thought that was possible with a dry run. What brand is it please, as I've found that some of them are more brittle than others.

19 hours ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

I have taken receivership of the new office "cough" modelling room. I would throw in some pictures, as I feel very privileged to have a large dedicated space for my hobby (and work of course), but feel it's a little gratuitous. 

Not gratuitous at all, I think - I for one would like to see some pics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

Wow, looks very good Matt. Thanks for the tip about bending the plastic rod, I wouldn't have thought that was possible with a dry run. What brand is it please, as I've found that some of them are more brittle than others.

Not gratuitous at all, I think - I for one would like to see some pics.

Thank you Mikkel. I will see what I can do about some pics.

Newly purchased Slaters plastic rod. I may have just been lucky.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that!

I haven't tried Slater's rods yet (I mostly use Evergreen and Plastruc, I prefer the former as it takes my Limonene well, but the latter brand has greater variety in rods).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Friday was F*$" up day. Everything went wrong. Nothing new really but significant for me this day.

Anyway K15 continues; Grab handles, opening handles/latches now located, bogies painted and ready. 

DSCF0388.JPG.58706726d8b9f04b3bf09525be80b90c.JPG    DSCF0390.JPG.8d3938e8d33881c7a60042ec3cb7dc4f.JPG

DSCF0389.JPG.5f99b5ef0c20a1d7c0c5544a7a0b1dc3.JPG

Fitting the floor and roof at the same time was not a very good idea and has messed up the glazing. 

20231007_112231.jpg.a9bcfc5f4e153e827823ef16056ae8ad.jpg

So the floor will need adapting to enable me to remove the glazing and reapply, (hopefully).

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

11 hours ago, Mikkel said:

That's a nice den, Matt. You are indeed lucky. Nice floor too, no stains yet 🙂

Thank you and I agree, I am very lucky. It has been a long time coming and then a lot of stress as everything went wrong even the paint hates me! But it will do just need some suitable window blinds or curtains. The roof space is gradually coming along as well but my God that too has been a real struggle, if only I could do the work myself and not rely on others more proficient and/or skillful. One day, one day.  

• Friendly/supportive 1

Decided to remove the floor and re-glaze. Couldn't live with the white mess created by the super glue vapor. DSCF0393.JPG.00c88547a80ea31e11bf7e2949bee673.JPG

After handling the coach more whilst removing the floor and glazing I decided to revisit the everything.

Another full coat of GWR coach brown has been applied whilst the glazing is out.

The area where the sides and end meet have been filled 

DSCF0391.JPG.f464997fc9e7209c56a34411fb8ccb94.JPG    DSCF0392.JPG.b0d0c90a6302366b1848fbf68ab7c5a1.JPG

This was then sanded back

DSCF0394.JPG.eaa73149ec7c896009d6566b42e185c3.JPG    DSCF0395.JPG.4b2288355c29c75b3eaa09856d3a71f9.JPG

Still looking a mess but decided to repaint the ends completely to see how it looked and hoped now further filling, sanding and painting would be required.

DSCF0396.JPG.49965a9b7aa22e045309199557edbaae.JPG    DSCF0397.JPG.10cd0d4b51744b22b05ae93feba3fec3.JPG

Think I can get away with this especially at normal viewing distance and not super close camera eye.

This will be put aside for a hour or two to dry before starting on re-glazing replacing the floor.

I was not going to post these pictures as these really were for my reference but I though it would highlight how a simple little filler, sanding and repaint can make a real difference. Incidentally the filler I used this time is Deluxe Perfect plastic. It is a lot 'wetter' than the Revell product I previously used but first thoughts on the product is that it works better. Dry time is longer, giving you more time to work with it and the kit and as it is more liquid it can be worked into spaces easier.

• Like 11

Top recovery work there Matt and thanks for posting it because we all have those moments of ****!!! and it can result in a conference knock that sees a project returning to the back of the queue.

I was just talking with @chuffinghell about exactly the same problem. Glues which don't mess up the glazing tend to fall very quickly and those which do get a grip mess up the glazing.

There's a monotonous circularity to it!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thank you. I often have *&%&* moments but really worth documenting but this time I was aware that there would be a suitable amount of mess and (hopefully) recovery to make an article. Also I feel it is important to show that making mistakes is part of modelling and in itself can produce so nice results, even from seemingly a total disaster.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

New coat of brown has enriched the first layer. Roof painted with Vallejo Dark Grey Blue 71.054. Kind of a clean weathered look. Re-glazed and floor reinstated. A couple of very basic brake gear details. Will complete the brake rodding later today but not adding much as this really will not be visible and as before the coach is stock item.

DSCF0398.JPG.9f0772902f19796772513882a4f2eb6c.JPG   DSCF0400.JPG.1b5e7416d1311cc224170d03f761063b.JPG

Almost forgot the handrails for the step end of the coach so quickly bent a couple during an online meeting 😏 

DSCF0401.JPG.7e9781f8e0f28bf66f21c6030f163dcd.JPG

• Like 8