Information help needed on GWR bridge painting

MrWolf

I have started a small layout project after a lengthy break in railway modelling. Part of this involves two girder bridges crossing a river. Pretty much all surviving minor bridges are painted in a high zinc content grey to hold back the rust. But if we wind back the clock pre WWII, when railway companies painted anything that stood still long enough, did the GWR paint their bridges in the standard stone colours and if so, was there a formula; eg: Panels light stone, reinforcements in dark stone? Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks, that will save a bit of work! I have seen a few bridges on layouts over the years with fancy paint jobs. I had a feeling that even Swindon wouldn't be OCD enough to give bridges in the middle of nowhere a tricky to maintain paint job.

51 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Most likely would be 'micanised iron oxide' used to this day for steel structures. It comes in various shades of grey or 'bauxite', and has little reflective pieces of mica mixed in.

That is pretty much all I have ever seen bridges painted in. I am ignoring bridges that have had a revamp in the last thirty years because they are a landmark, such as the long disused Derby Friargate bridge or the bridge that crosses Lancaster LNW station. Thanks for your input everyone. I will also have to look at some way of giving the paint that faint sparkle over the matt finish.

• RMweb Gold
On 04/01/2020 at 23:21, Fat Controller said:

Most likely would be 'micanised iron oxide' used to this day for steel structures. It comes in various shades of grey or 'bauxite', and has little reflective pieces of mica mixed in.

Definitely used by the WR (as Brian will know of course) and could be seen on bridges painted in earlier years.

Edited by The Stationmaster
Edited to spoil some fun ... tehehe
  • Like 1

Thanks all for your advice. Here we have the loosely assembled results in primer grey, before any detail painting. Although no particular prototype and cobbled together with a few Wills bits, DAS clay and plasticard, it's meant to represent a former timber structure that has had its centre piers raised in blue brick and three iron spans fitted.

WP_20200113_10_04_33_Pro.jpg

• Like 2